Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning downhill skiing after cross-country - how long does it take?

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve booked my first downhill holiday (Sweden) for next season, after 7 years cross-country. I intend to keep up the XC as well, but fancy something that involves a bit less slogging uphill, and the novelty of skis that actually turn. Has anyone else made the transition in this direction, and if so, how did you find the experience of learning downhill? My cross-country snowplough turns are reasonably solid (for a Brit), and I can do stem turns on the right terrain, but I’m not overkeen on speed, which is partly why I want a go at downhill to get used to it.

I’ll be booking lessons, but will need to choose between the TO 5x2 hours, and booking direct with the resort which is 3x2 hrs, but gives me more free days to visit the other local ski areas (not booking complete ski pack with TO, as lift pass and kit are cheaper with resort early booking discount) - but that'll be pointless if after 3 days I'm still utterly rubbish. Hope to get a go in a UK snowdome type place in advance to remind myself how to put boots etc. on and what it feels like – I went on a dry slope a bit as a teenager, but it was 20 years ago. Anyone got any advice on how to get myself progressing relatively rapidly?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll definitely have a head start and better balance but will find the skis & kit very different (especially heavier). If you can stem turn on XC skis I would have thought that alpine will come relatively quickly but I'd still go for the 5 days' lessons. Ski in a day course at a snowdome if you're fit maybe - most people find these hard work but with a headstart it might suit you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nineveh, Being used to skiing with freeheels, you could always try telemark downhill skiing. A few years ago I attended a one day Midland Telemark festival at Tamworth Snowdome organised by Matt Higginson, and whilst the majority of Telemark newcomers had come from alpine skiing, there were some there who came from a X-C skiing background. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd vote for 3x2 lessons. I don't think you'll be utterly rubbish after 3x2hr lessons given you're already comfortable sliding on slippery surface. You should be able to enjoy yourself visiting other areas.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have never done x country but can’t see why you would have a problem, you are already half way there as you are used to wearing skis and going on snow. Took a relative to Cairngorm to learn to downhill ski a couple of years ago who had done x country a few years before, he loved it and picked it up so quickly by the end of the day he skied from the top back down to the car park. As to the lessons if you took the three days and felt it wasn’t enough could you book more?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair, I'd completely forgotten about telemark downhill. It always sounds like hard work! I could get to Tamworth, so I'll have a look at Midland Telemark - it would be fun to have a go, even if it's not what I end up doing most of the time.

Thanks for replies, everyone. Sounds like I should give a snowdome a quick go to see how downhill translates for me after skiing in bedroom slippers, but that if that goes all right 3x2 lessons could be a reasonable prospect.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
having done cross country since i was 4/5 and only moving onto downhill skiing last year (age 15) the cross country made absolutely no difference to my skiing, i was poor at starting but after i figured out how to parallel turn and all that i quickly managed almost every slope at the cairngorms. Hate the costs of downhill against XC though, spent at least £500 this year on high end stuff and a gopro, and my skis aren't even that great.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd say if you're a good x-c skier, telemark would be a no-brainer. In fact, any upper intermediate or advance x-c skier should add tele turn to their skill set. However, for the average x-c skiers who're afraid of steep downhills and speed, tele is no easier to learn than alpine.

You can do telemark turns on x-c skis (that's where it originally came from anyway). But if you're not too keen on speed even at straightaway, telemark (turn) isn't going to help you overcome that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nineveh, don't forget that according to some snowheads, numerous surveys and polygraph testing indicate that Telemarking somehow Puzzled makes you considerably more alluring to the opposite sex and it may be that you don't actually want all that additional attention. wink If that is the case, you might want to consider starting your downhill transition with the use of snowblades which according to what some other snowheads say, provides quite the opposite effect. wink wink Toofy Grin

You could of course try getting these natural forces in balance by fitting some tele bindings on a pair of blades. Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Telemarking somehow Puzzled makes you considerably more alluring to the opposite sex

Telemarking it is then Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I enjoy controlled speed... It's just those icy downhills on narrow tracks, when I find myself rapidly heading towards a tree/rock/random Norwegian that are less fun. I'm hoping that downhill will have a "It's really not that fast" sort of effect and boost my willingness to ride things out when they get hairy. I'll see! I may yet be found gibbering by the side of the green run.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nineveh, The big diffences 'twixt cross country and downhill (Alpine or Tele) will be edges onyour skis - so more grip,, and waaay more supportive boots - which o couse give you more control.

The skis work in more or less the same way - alpine camber will make it easier to control the ski.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nineveh wrote:
I enjoy controlled speed... It's just those icy downhills on narrow tracks, when I find myself rapidly heading towards a tree/rock/random Norwegian that are less fun. I'm hoping that downhill will have a "It's really not that fast" sort of effect and boost my willingness to ride things out when they get hairy. I'll see! I may yet be found gibbering by the side of the green run.

Sounds like your "dislike" of uncontrolled speed is well grounded. You really don't want to "get over" that reasonable fear, which stops you from getting hurt. What you want is better skill to control (slow down, stop quickly) even at high speed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The uncontrolled speed is all relative. Everyone has their limit whereby they can reach the discomfort that is uncontrolled speed. I reckon given your experience you will be fine and need very little tuition in order to enjoy yourself DH safely. I've never had a "proper" lesson but have been taught by expert friends with a bit of patience and it really took no more than a few hours to really get a grip with DH so provided you are coordinated and reasonably fit which I suspect you are and with your 7 yrs of cross country under your belt I reckon you'll be tip top.

That said if all goes wrong forget I said anything....hell what do I know? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nineveh, For someone whose body can manage the balance and physical demands of XC, then I'd have thought less time than it takes to read the replies on this thread.
snow report
I've found its harder with people going the other way (downhill to xc), at least when I've been helping out at HNOC ( http://www.nordicski.co.uk/hnoc/ ) open day (which is on 6th November this year) and seen kids who said they could ski reds alpine have grave dificulty on our little downhill mat on track skis.

I think you should be fine, and should find it relatively easy. You'll find you have a lot more control with wide skis and metal edges. You'll find tourning a piece of p1ss compared to track skis as the side cut means the skis actually want to turn. You may hate have your heels fixed. I haven't used alpine kit for a while (I use tele kit for downhill and variety of xc kit), but when I was using both I found i prefered having my heels free.
snow report
Nineveh,

I have this quote from Nordicfan junior (who grew up doing XC) "Downhill skiing is a piece of p***. You just have to put the skis on edge and they turn". Having written that, I have just seen Dave's post and I think they may have been comparing notes.

It's funny how things have changed - it used to be the accepted wisdom that anyone who had learnt downhill, would easily be able to pick up the downhill aspects of XC. I think the changes in alpine equipment have made downhill so much easier, that fewer people learn the full range of skills.

ABC has put his finger on your problem IMHO - you need to work on your skill set, or ski somewhere a bit easier, so that you feel in control. I wonder if part of your problem is equipment based? Fishscale skis are not well-suited to downhill turns. If your boots are too floppy, then it will be hard to control the skis.

I don't see many competent xc skiers relying on snowplough turns. I suggest working on step/skate turns, as well as the stem turns if you need to scrub off some speed during the turn. I think they are less effort and go wrong less often than snowplough turns. Adding the ability to do a hockey stop adds a lot of confidence. I have to admit when saying that, that as I get older and more crocked, I don't even attempt one these days.
snow report
nordicfan wrote:
ABC has put his finger on your problem IMHO - you need to work on your skill set, or ski somewhere a bit easier, so that you feel in control. I wonder if part of your problem is equipment based? Fishscale skis are not well-suited to downhill turns. If your boots are too floppy, then it will be hard to control the skis.

It's good to have others seconding my opinion regarding someone's skiing, even though neighter of us seen how the OP skis. Wink

I reached that conclusion because I had once been in that exact frame of mind:
Quote:
It's just those icy downhills on narrow tracks, when I find myself rapidly heading towards a tree/rock/random Norwegian, without a sure way to avoid them, that are less fun..

(red part added by me)
Quote:
I'm hoping that downhill will have a "It's really not that fast" sort of effect and boost my willingness to ride things out when they get hairy. I'll see! I may yet be found gibbering by the side of the green run

Except I've always been a better alpine skier than I'm a x-c skier. So I can tell you it doesn't automatically work the magic.

My experience, it's the ability to slow down quickly and to make turns at moderately high speed that cured the fear. Not by ignoring it (the fear), which would have gotten me killed.

That said, I do think alpine skiing introduce some useful skill that are transferable to x-c. Even without metal edge, x-c skis do have side cuts. So it will turn when put on edge. But the lack of metal edge and the mild side cut doesn't really allow a less than expert level x-c skiers to experience the turning ability of the skis. Trying alpine on equipment much more condusive to turning would help introduce that. In fact, when in tracks, parallel turn works quite well. (though I understand a beginner alpine skier won't be learning parallel turns at the start)
snow report
I hate to say, that I don't seep x-c giving you much advantage at all. You'll maybe have a balance advantage, and clearly you're used to sliding around with long funny thngs on your feet, but beyond that...totally different experiences and dynamic motions.

Probably help a little in first week but not really beyond that.

But definitely worth doing!!
snow report
Thanks for all the comments. I've got to say, metal edges and skis that want to turn will be very nice... "Piece of p***" sounds encouraging (albeit not universal!).

Re. downhill on XC, control and all that, the fact is I am a chicken. Despite what I'm about to say, I enjoy going downhill, and I want to be better at it and do it more, but I'm hampered by a tendency to start to worry when there isn't actually anything to worry about, and to wimp out well before it's necessary. I've never found myself hurtling out of control towards a tree/rock/Norwegian, because I make great efforts always to ski in control - and _that_ is the problem. I am not the maniac who throws herself down the mountain to the endangerment of all, I am the person who can find herself standing at the top of a slope that is well within her competence, worries that something will go wrong, skis down absolutely fine if perhaps overly conservatively, and is then p*ssed off that she was such an idiot beforehand. I need to learn to (cliche alert) feel the fear and do it anyway, precisely because it isn't a reasonable fear. The hope is that downhill, offering skis with lots of edge and sidecut and wanting to turn, will help me develop more mental confidence with speed and slope, as well as being fun in itself.

Of course, I also need to improve my downhill XC skills, which are far from brilliant, but my chances of doing that will be much better if I can get myself more comfortable with the sensation of speed in itself, so that I can put the skills I've practiced in gentle conditions into use when it gets tougher and resist the temptation to fall back on a snowplough for a comfortable, but slightly mundane, run. The suggestion of a solid hockey stop is a good point - I'd probably profit a lot from a morning on the right slope putting some dedicated practice in on that and being able to think "well, I can always wimp out like that instead".

Short version: downhill skiing will force me to accept falling over at higher speeds Toofy Grin And I really ought to get myself to a fridge pronto and see what happens.
snow report
Alpine skiing after XC skiing is a walk in the park, I learned it that way around and shorter skis, plastic boots and steel edges were a dream come true. Honestly I feel I am far more likely to hurt myself of XC skis, some of the Norwegian trails are really technical and fast.
ski holidays
We all go down the hill slower than what we MAY be able to manage. At least most of us who're not racing are.

You may be able to go faster after "getting used" to speed. Though I have my doubts. 100 feet wide gentle slope on 70mm wide skis and hard plastic boots simply doesn't give you the same sense of "speed & danger" as going down a narrow track with trees a mere 2 feet away (and a bend at the bottom) while on 40mm width floppy skis with no heel attachment! Even if you are actually going a lot faster on those alpine slopes. You may come back from your alpine holiday to find the x-c tracks just as scary as before.
snow conditions
Quote:

You may be able to go faster after "getting used" to speed. Though I have my doubts. 100 feet wide gentle slope on 70mm wide skis and hard plastic boots simply doesn't give you the same sense of "speed & danger" as going down a narrow track with trees a mere 2 feet away (and a bend at the bottom) while on 40mm width floppy skis with no heel attachment! Even if you are actually going a lot faster on those alpine slopes. You may come back from your alpine holiday to find the x-c tracks just as scary as before.

I know what you mean - I always find the downhills on xc trails on track kit much scarier than anything i've done on alpine (tele) kit, particularly scottish trails as the pisting and track cutting isn't as frequent as in the scandiniavian countries.

Quote:

And I really ought to get myself to a fridge pronto and see what happens.

Not a bad idea - taking your xc kit to a fridge to practice your downhill techniques wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Truth. I've clocked around 25mph on XC skis (classic, not skate skis - 220cm) and it was a little scary but I've also logged a legitimate 48mph on GS skis and it felt fine. If you look at the pros on eurosport even they are clearly very focused stepping around high speed corners. I've skied an easy red on the same XC skis and it was seriously difficult (I was with some beginner friends and needed to make things more interesting).

IMO people and especially kids should learn on XC skis for a day or so first before alpine gear.
snow report
Quote:

If you look at the pros on eurosport even they are clearly very focused stepping around high speed corners.

Oh yes! I find this rather comforting (and for some of them, looking at you Justyna Kowalczyk, "very focused" is putting it generously).
Quote:

taking your xc kit to a fridge to practice your downhill techniques

That's a great idea, but I assume that the smiley means they don't let you! Though I bet that farmer's field at Halifax does - must try it if there's snow over Christmas.
snow report
Quote:

taking your xc kit to a fridge to practice your downhill techniques

That's a great idea, but I assume that the smiley means they don't let you! Though I bet that farmer's field at Halifax does - must try it if there's snow over Christmas.

I'm not sure, the smiley was 'cos I guessed that wasn't what you meant. Theoretically why would they stop you, your using skis and bindings the same as everyone else - theres no prohibition on free heels (afaik). I know the GB squad did a camp at one of the domes either last year or the year before, but that was presumably with prior arrangement.

Quote:

Oh yes! I find this rather comforting (and for some of them, looking at you Justyna Kowalczyk, "very focused" is putting it generously).

She is probably the worst of the top professionals when it comes to down hill skills. Mind you having raced at Rhupolding you don't really appreciate how steep some of the hills are from the TV, add a few other skiers around you all going for it and it gets really scary.
snow report
Nineveh, I think some of the English cross-country ski clubs sometimes book snowdome sessions, so you could practice in company. There is a list of registered clubs on the Snowsport England website here: http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/cross-country-

I know Manchester Club are off to Trafford, and the London Region Club have been to Hemel in the past. The Midland Ski Club also used to use their local 'fridge, but I don't they do now.

I am a big fan of Justyna, but she I agree she doesn't like the downhills. However, one of the reasons for the frantic stepping around the high speed corners that the racers do, is that it is faster than other techniques. Liv-Grete Poiree was a star at this and I have seen her closing the gap on other athletes who paralleled the corners. But doing that on a fast downhill turn needs very good skills and great timing and balance.

Where do you ski in Norway? I learnt in Oslomarka, and some of the trails there were very tricky. Dave is right about world cup race courses. The Lillehammer one appears to go down and up the old slalåm slope. One in Ruhpolding is known as "The Wall".
snow report
Quote:

It's just those icy downhills on narrow tracks, when I find myself rapidly heading towards a tree/rock/random Norwegian that are less fun.

I can certainly relate to that! I'm a downhill skier who has had 2 solid weeks of XC lessons and is still completely rubbish. You will have good balance skills (the French ski clubs seem to put their budding racer kids on them pretty regularly). I would definitely go to a fridge but NOT with your XC gear - get some beginner downhill lessons and I bet you'll get on really well. But there's a lot to be said for the companionship of lessons, and with an instructor you'll be sure not to find yourself somewhere beyond your skills.

If you can snowplough on XC skis you will easily be able to control your speed on downhill equipment.

But wrap up warmer!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

But wrap up warmer!

A LOT warmer!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy