Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowshoes, advice needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for suggestions regarding snowshoes.......

I'll likely be accompanying some skiers in the season to come, and obviously can't 'skin' with them, being a boarder (no, I don't want a split board). Nothing too extreme, mildish shoeing. Need some that are not too big, but decent make, that will fit comfortably into a smallish backpack, and need to be capable of taking a large snowboard boot with ease. As always, budget is important.

Thanks in advance, John.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Certainly a rare sight but you're not alone. This guy belonged to another party so I have no idea but this might give you a clue:

click for bigger pic
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Atlas, Tubbs, MSR are the major brands. There is a massive range from "running" snowshoes to burly expedition ones. Some have detachable tails. I'm sure their website has advice. Remember that you might be pretty unpopular if you hike in the skin track so consider whether being a sole boarder out with skiers is a great idea.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anything decent is not going to fit inside a "smallish backpack". You will need to attach to the outside or have a big pack. Consider access skis. I use the Climb ones ( see climb.co.at) They are more efficient than snowshoes if you are going out with skiers with a skin track.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have "toured" with snow shoeing boarders a lot. The msr seem to be popular not sure which model, but I know they are not the cheap ones!

You should have no problems travelling with skiers, you might get some looks for ruining the track, one issue is safety on glaciers where you might want to be roped up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BCjohnny, maybe try dropping norris on here a pm - he has been known to use snowshoes for snowboard touring so should be able to give some first-hand advice..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

Another brand, and not too expensive, is TSL, made in France. The size of the shoe is dependant on your weight and TSL usually come in 2 sizes. I currently use the model 325 which has a ankle strap adjustment like a snowboard binding. I sometimes fix them on my rucsac with a couple of bungees and have managed this on a small Camelbak type sac of about 12 litres.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also look at what the temperature will be when you put them on and how easy it is to get them on with gloves/mitts etc Some seem much harder and more fiddly than others and if you are hoping to do this anywhere with regualr cold temps I would look carefully at this.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy