Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

But I'm a bloke....

Poster: A snowHead
...reactions?

....I wanted some short twintips for a****g about on, and for skiing (switch) with the kids. Bought some very nice Salomon Suspects - very strong, good construction - but actually they were Mai Tais - exactly the same (flex etc) as Suspects, just with 'female' graphics. And there's the dilemma...can I really go around with female skis? What WILL people say? I mean, I've got male clobber, but female skis? And then it got worse, since another pair of twintips came up - some Volkl Pearls for 50 gbp. So I got those too. MORE girlie skis. Out go my 'Skulls and Crows Line Chronics' - very macho - and in with the flowery graphics.

Last year I saw a male instructor in the latest Peak Performance gear - Brown and Lavender... OK, so it's not hot pink, but in England you'd think twice...

So....can I get away with it without people staring? They're nice skis.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're a bloke Shocked I always thought you were a woman. Perhaps you and I should swap usernames, many think I'm a man.

That aside, topsheets just don't matter - especially if you can ski like a demon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go off piste and let the snow pile on the ski. No one will see what's on the top sheet...

Alternatively, slap a bunch of snowhead stickers on the strategic spots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, ...blimey...amazing what a username communicates...I think I'm a bloke, hang on.................yep, just checked, I am.

Good job I discarded my previous username 'doesmybumlookbiginthis5' - clearly not right.

...and thanks...not sure I can ski like a demon, but perhaps like a small wizard...so I'll take them out and see what happens. If I idly get called 'madame' by the pisteurs, whilst waiting in the lift Q, I'll chuck them in the back of the garage.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc, ...good point re stickers....lick my decals....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2, it's never too late to admit who you REALLY are wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2 wrote:
Good job I discarded my previous username 'doesmybumlookbiginthis5'

Laughing

If all else fails, I have some 152cm Icelantic Pilgrims (08/09 model with the Joan d'Arc topsheets) that I will be selling soon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry, ....actually I think the whole identity thing around 'bloke' is quite a vexed subject...whilst watching telly and reclining on the sofa, it's my (female) partner who constantly fa**s without apologising....and come to think of it, she never empties the washing up bowl after doing the washing up...or washes the toothpaste off the basin...sh*t I AM a woman...and she's a BLOKE!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tin of black spray paint?? Laughing

I suppose it depends on what you think, if you are happy with the concept then run with it and sod what folks might think. After all us girlies regularly ski with unisex or 'male' skis why not the other way?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
so you're going to ski around on short girls skis, why not go all the way and get some blades Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, NOOOOOOO..................that way lies ruin and shame.

But 152 and 155 twin tips are actually huge fun. I am very slim (around 140lbs) and ski light...and I can get good flotation out of them (needs a bit of bottle at times, though, need to push it a bit...).

I had a bit of an argument with my mate Anthony, and he likes LONGGGG skis. I picked up some 165 salomon pocket rockets (metallic blue...remember those?) and I 'omitted' to tell him that they were really 155 due to the rear tip. He swore he could only ski on minimum of 165 piste skis....

But then I spent a few weeks with him, he on the PRs and he thought they were very good indeed - on- off- and in the bumps. Weirdely he carved everywhere on them on the hardpack, and they are supposed to be as soft as butter....I let on a couple of weeks later and he revised his position re short skis.

I still like my planks ... but for messing around with the kids and general ars***ing about, 150-155 twintips really are a lot of fun....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our first Snowheads cross dresser...excellent Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One of the (male) s6BB bashers got girly rental skis - took them back for a swap half way thru the week after someone pointed it out Wink Apparently didn't notice anything different (either in colour or the way they handled).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd never do it, but if that's your thing feel free! There's really not much difference apart from the topsheet, so if you're a bit smaller, then it'll probably. A 152 twintip must feel (and look) like a snowblade though!? I'd say that once you try proper size skis in powder, or at speed, you'll love the stability and confidence they give.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd say you need to MTFU and get something in a proper size....160, even 165
ski holidays
I suggest learning to squat while peeing ensuring your boots match your outfit and from now on when people ask what skis you have you should answer the Blue ones! (Or the redish pink depending on the model)

The replacment for the Mai Tai the Galaxys are incredible looking would be tempted but then I remembered I AM A MAN THAT INVENTED THE WHEEL etc etc
snow conditions
valais2, I can so imagine little French kids ripping the pi$$ out of you as you obliviously share the chair with them Laughing

I like a confident bloke though, go for it!
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
abc, ...good point re stickers....lick my decals....

??Lick? your decals??? is that like... "Lip my stocking"???

Go on you for sticking with it! if the skis really are the same , just with different topsheets, they Brilliant. the one thing i would say is be ware of the binding mount position, it tends to be either more fore or aft (don't know, never had to mount bindings to skis for s girl), and so that can change the way the skis perform. Also, many women's skis are indeed the same model and the mens, but the manufacturers make them softer in flex than the equivalent male version.

all said, as you mentioned, you are only 10st, so its not like you are overloading the skis. (it woudl be a world of difference if you were 15st and on 152s)

great finds on the deals.

maybe just get some custom vinyl stickyback graphics made up. (check evilbay for deals)
latest report
valais2, I quite like the Mai Tais (first pair of skis I've tried that had me grinning from ear to ear). They aren't that girly are they? Personally I won't ski on/wear anything pink (purple is my limit).

I'd happily ski on bloke's skis, don't really see that there's a problem.

Zero-G wrote:
If all else fails, I have some 152cm Icelantic Pilgrims (08/09 model with the Joan d'Arc topsheets) that I will be selling soon.

Oooohhh.... temptation
ski holidays
Everyone has been very quick with the MTFU exhortations but unless I'm misreading valais2's posts, he only wants the shorter twintips for messing around when out with the kids.

I do have to agree that skis in the 150-152cm range are not stable at speed . I've outgrown my 152 Pilgrims because of the stability at speed issue and have upgraded to the 169. But these are my every day goto skis, not just for messing around so I definitely want that stability.
latest report
Just ducktape over the graphics, which will have the additional benefit of making you look gnarly and bad-ass. Apart from the blades anyway NehNeh
snow conditions
Zero-G wrote:
valais2 wrote:
Good job I discarded my previous username 'doesmybumlookbiginthis5'

Laughing

I might be interested in them when it comes to you selling them... just a heads up!
snow report
no, don't go for stickers (unless they're pink and glittery) just brazen it out
nothing worse than an unconfident man trying to cover up what he really likes.

or,
you mention skiing with kids. If one of them is a girl you can just say "she made me buy them" and all will be understood.
snow conditions
Zero-G wrote:
Everyone has been very quick with the MTFU exhortations...

It seems to me that it's only the blokes who have done the MTFU stuff... the women know that a man's ski length bears no relation to other (dare I say it) more interesting dimensions a man could boast about... wink
snow report
miranda, indeed! Those are the important dimensions.
snow report
Lots of good deals in the Sport-Conrad outlet if you want cheap twins...
snow conditions
quadwould, at the risk of starting a really obscure thread about music I ought to just mention that 'lick my decals off baby' is not an indication of deep perversion but is a reference to captain beef heart - god rest his soul - some of the grey tops may get a sudden flashback of poorly judged clothes and wasted weekends.

Just jill....good point re blokes' skis - but then there are some things which are really gendered in our world and I wondered if I was crossing a line or not...ithink I'm going to go for it, tough it out and fall back on greywiggle's excellent suggestion.

As for mtfu I'm not bothered about the comments at all (and thanks for the note re the kids, zero g, you're spot on) since my self image remains bolstered by days in minus 15, with as many degrees of windchill, rime on my beard, staring down a super-steep. And then maybe Joe Simpson's comment comes in too - it's one thing to selfishly grind one's way up a face, but quite another to face the challenge of raising a family (but actually few days hacking around by myself beat a few hours spent skiing in and out of the woods with my wee one.....
snow conditions
all the nicest skis and clothes are for women - it sucks! men like style and pretty patterns too! also, incase your wondering, im not gay!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Togger, I think it's the exact opposite! The men's stuff has a far better range of colours and styles than the women's.
snow report
Im a Bloke and for a few days whilest i was away this season i skied on Hot Pink Twins. As long as you feal comfortable skiign on them that is all that matters.

also it will start a hell of alot of conversations on the lifts and confuse the hell out of the men in the gondal stations when you pick them up.
snow conditions
Good to see lighter colours coming back in for men, once was the day when you walked into a shop and ALL of the men's ski gear was dark or black, Staying cool is as much as a problem as keeping warm for me on skis and if I wear dark clothes when the sun comes out, I'm like a walking solar panel.

Tell me who is coolest
The skier in the latest, expensive gear who looks like they're sat on the toilet as they ski down or the scruffy guy in a faded 1980's one piece, blasting the powder, steep and moguls?.

(In these days of shabby chiq the faded one piece could be the most expensive!!)
snow report
..yes well I never wanted to get my skis deeply into the powder until someone got me a pair of skis with Cool Thang plastered all over them which is ok if you are not a lady of Enjoying the Second Childhood age...now permanently off piste of going so fast nobody can read it. Bit of a problem on the chairlifts tho.. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
My son was given white girly boots by rental shop in the Hoff at Easter with the comment, "Here's some Star Wars Stormtroper boots" to which son duly replieid "Nice try". He wore them and endured his father and sister calling him Girly Boots for a week. Hasn't damaged him at all as far as I can see.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy