Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leaving luggage when arriving by train early on a Saturday morning.......

Poster: A snowHead
I'm tempted just to book some seats on the Eurostar into BSM for a trip away and choosing a resort closer to the time depending on conditions. Train arrives into BSM just before 7am, I'd imagine we could be in resort for 9am. We could pick up skis and be on the slopes mid morning at the latest. Question is.... where would we put our luggage?

Obviously we could ask wherever we end up staying if we could dump it early, but if they're not able to accommodate what options would there be?

Would be the same for the way back as the train doesn't leave until late on the Saturday evening, meaning we could ski all afternoon.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First of all consult this link

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58283

Otherwise if you are staying at a hotel they usually have a luggage room. If you have rented an apartment I have found the Immobiliers I have used have let me leave my luggage in their offices.

John
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hammerite, Are you travelling for the day to ski or will you need accommodation? Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jivebaby,
Quote:

Obviously we could ask wherever we end up staying if we could dump it early,

Looks like hammerite is planning to stay somewhere...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all.

Yes we'd be going for a week, and ideally would like to ski both Saturdays rather than hang about minding the luggage until we could drop it at accommodation.

I know most hotels would be fine with this, but just wondering what others have done if staying in a small chalet, apartment or similar.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have done the overnight train (eurostar or sleeper) a few times and always managed to leave luggage where we were staying. One of the times was to Hotel du Golf in Les Arcs. When staying in apartment we have sometimes been able to pay extra to have early access to the apartment.

If you were not going to one of the nearest resorts to BSM and ended up hiring a car you would also be able to leave your luggage in the car in the residence/hotel car park and ask to use the pool changing rooms.

The main thing to do is ensure all your ski stuff is at the top of your packing so it can easily be slipped out on arrival.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hammerite, when we have early arrivals/late departures, we are able to offer the option of leaving luggage in the ski room until the chalet is available, usually mid-late afternoon. Guests can then go and ski, lunch or shop or whatever, so as not to waste their first / last day. Obviously this only works in properties with that facility - our ski rooms are huge so left luggage doesn't get in the way of the changeover cleaning. That will be the consideration for the owners/managers of whichever property you book - as it's important to you, make sure you ask the question early in the process so as not to be disappointed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have not yet booked your tickets on the overnight Eurostar I'd recommend booking first class. The seats partially recline and you get a light meal and a glass of wine. I'd have thought it would be very hard to sleep in the second class section in an upright seat.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're going to BSM then either speak to Gordon and Rosie who run the ski place at the bottom of the funicular, or I think a couple of the ski shops at the top of the funicular also offer a left luggage facility.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd check with the accommodation that leaving stuff with them would be OK beforehand (it always has been for me, even in small chalets) and if not choose different accommodation where it is OK.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all. We'll make that a consideration when booking accommodation then.

snowymum, I looked at first class, but it increases the cost by nearly £500 for 3 of us. This trip would be late on in the season, and our second trip away, which traditionally it's our bargain basement trip as we usually spend quite a bit more on our early season one. Standard class works out less than flights/transfers with an extra 2 days skiing (granted we'd need to factor in cost of lift passes for longer period). First class works out a lot more than flights on a Saturday, with flights we'd miss 2 days skiing - but we would sleep in our own beds. The OH and Jnr generally sleep very well, and can fall asleep anywhere - I'm the one who struggles to sleep while travelling, but hopefully a few beers may sort that out! Embarassed Laughing Out of the three of us I'm also the one who can still operate fine after a lack of sleep.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Yes we'd be going for a week, and ideally would like to ski both Saturdays rather than hang about minding the luggage until we could drop it at accommodation.
Tignes offers left luggage facilities at the tourist offices in Le Lac and Val Claret. The branch at Le Lac also offers showers - handy for apres ski use.

As I recall, prices are reasonable.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know why anyone sits up all night, couchettes cost so little extra. Of course you have to book the moment the tickets become available or you miss all the cheap ones.
I've done it often and I've never had any problem with luggage - there is always somewhere you can leave it (and somewhere you can change, even if, on one occasion, it was in the toilets).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowball - couchettes aren't available on the Eurostar service to bourg st Maurice.

I can't believe you'd consider leaving your luggage anywhere near train loos
Shocked

Last time we took a sleeper through france we paid for first class couchettes and the accommodation was very basic for the price paid. At least the Eurostars are reasonably furnished and loos very slightly better. Its also nice avoiding the Paris change.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Snowball - couchettes aren't available on the Eurostar service to bourg st Maurice.

There were when I looked last night. But as usual with sncf they are only available 3 months before travel

John
ski holidays
johnE, are you sure - Couchettes? Eurostar? and you don't book eurostar with SNCF. WIth respect, i think you are mistaken
latest report
Couchettes on Eurostar?

You get the eurostar or fly to Paris then the sleeper from paris. There are no direct sleepers from london. Look at either the Raileuropre or SNCF web sites.

John
snow report
johnE, Exactly. The statement was "couchettes aren't available on the Eurostar service to Bourg St Maurice". You said "there were when I looked last night".

There is a direct overnight Eurostar service to BSM, which is the one that snowymum was referring to, you are referring to the regular SNCF sleeper service.
snow report
Hi hammerite,

There are some luggage lockers at the train station in Bourg so depending on where you are staying you could leave it there. Most tourist offices offer a left luggage too, but again this depends on the resort that you choose.

Pretty much all chalet companies and hotels offer some sort of left luggage plus area to get changed in option so I'm pretty sure that you would be fine with this - ask before you pay your deposit and most people will say yes wink

Heather
ski holidays
hammerite, I left my luggage at Polar Star the first time I did it, but a PITA to go back down to Bourg before they close to get it back. 2nd time I left it at he ski hire shop at 1600
snow conditions
I'm not sure why my last post got so misunderstood. I was agreeing with others answering the OP's question about leaving luggage in hotel/chalet to go skiing when arriving in resort. Obviously you don't leave luggage in train station toilets.
I didn't intend to suggest you could do couchettes through Eurostar, you have to change in Paris and, as I said, I don't know why anyone would want to sit up all night when you can do that. I really like sleeping in the train and waking to go skiing. I've done it, on and off, for at least 25 years.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy