Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley goggle lenses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
I'm new to this forums but not to skiing.
I've been skiing for 10 years (I'm 17, turning 18 in december) and i am going out to france - courchevel to be specific - in January to train for my BASI level 1 and 2 qualifications.
My question at the moment is; I'd like to have a range of lenses for my Oakley Crowbar(?) Goggles for all conditions, so sunny, over-cast, and white-out and any others I'm sure you guys can think of would be useful.
I'm not really knowledgeable enough to decide which colour lenses are good for what conditions.
Any help will be great,
cheers in advance
- Alex
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alexwillard, welcome to snowheads.

I've pretty much tried all their lenses & I reckon that the Fire Iridium & Hi Yellow are by far the best combo. And best to have two pairs rather than swapping lenses so you'll always have a back-up pair.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd love to buy two pairs, but they aren't particularly cheap for a decent pair of goggles and I'm buying so much kit for this season - Boots, Skis, Jacket, pants, base layers, mid layers, socks, all sorts of stuff, and i don't really have £90 to shell out.
MY goggles at the moment are Pink iridium and are pretty good all round, but i'd like to get a properly tinted lens for when its really sunny, and also a pair for really low light. I'm guessing the Hi Yellow are white out conditions/ low light? Smile
Also, how easy is it to swap out the lenses? And how much are they, i have seen varying prices all over the place.
Cheers
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alexwillard, Yes, HI Yellow are for very low vis. I have Oakley A Frame and they are pretty easy to change lens. As for prices, best google it and click on a few links - there will be varying prices depending on who who buy from
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alright cheers chaps Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Alex, are you doing the New Gen gap course by any chance? I teach for New Gen in Meribel and may end up with some Oakley goggle frames to sell off that you could then put a new lens into.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately i am not, I am doing the course with Skivo2, not sure if you have heard of them, a small chalet company based in La praz, been skiing with Dave Beattie for years now.
I was talking to a few people i know and they mentioned that if you are swapping the lenses in and out regularly (depending on the weather) that the plastic frame with stretch and be a bit naff after a lot of changes. Any comments on that?
Looking online it looks like the cheapest i can get them for is £50. So it may be worth just buying another set of goggles if they do wear quite so badly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alexwillard, You should check out eBay. You'll get oakleys in good nick with all sorts of lenses for 40-50. Also, don't limit yourself to Oakleys, Von Zipper, Spy, Dragon and Electric are all great quality makes!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alexwillard, I have one frame and switch between Gold Irridium and Persimmon. Both really good but I accept, probably not the ultimate.

A word of warning along the lines that you have already been told, I did crack a lense changing them when it was very cold on a chair lift. Best to change indoors in the morning before you set out but this obviously doesn't help in changing conditions.

If I was starting again I would find a way to have two frames as the whole lot will probably not work out that much more expensive in the long run. ie frames, lenses will last longer if not bug!ng about with them all the time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have spy trevor (£50). Bought with persimmon lenses but found them a bit rubbish in flat light and in very bright light. Bought some yellow and bronze lenses from opticsplanet.net in the us for about £16. The frame is pretty robust and if I knacker the lens then it's fairly cheap for replacement.

Failing that then eBay.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy