Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Austria from Munich (but NOT on a train)

Poster: A snowHead
Am going to fly to Munich around end of Jan on a Sunday for 2 or 3 nights. Need somewhere we can get some miles in, intermediate level. Did Soll last year so would like something different that we can get a fairly cheap transfer to/from. No trains, no hire cars.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How are you intending to get to and from the resort then, taxi? Bus? Walk? Your transfer costs are your key factor. Pick a couple of resorts and cost that aspect. Believe me in winter, the trains are the most reliable transfers.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 28-09-11 6:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Odd request?? Is a bus acceptable?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, transfer by taxi... http://www.tirol-taxi.at/ - 196 Euro return per person to/from Kitzbuhel for example. Most of the terrain in the areas accessible easily from Munich is a bit samey to be honest. Kitzbuhel is a great town so maybe give it a try.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. My "distaste" relates to waiting for trains, buses etc when we have relatively limited time. We are not against paying for a taxi or transfer company within reason ie transfer no more than 1 and a quarter hours. So any resorts ideas? Kitzbuhel is on the agenda, thanks Bode Swiller.

Notwithstanding the above, is it possible to get direct trains to a resort? I dont even know which resorts have stations nor whether there is station at Munich airport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kirchberg would be an alternative entry to Kitzbühel skiing. The Zillertal would be another choice (Mayhofen, Zell am Ziller, etc.). And if you're only going for a short time, then you might base yourself in Garmisch, skiing e.g. Garmisch one day, Seefeld another and maybe perhaps Lermoos too (there's a ticket that covers all those areas). But this is assuming you hire a car (or use taxis).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi, One and a quarter hours transfer from the airport limits you somewhat! You can make it to Kitzbühel from the start of the A8 in about 1h15, but you have to have a clean run and be driving German style. I don't think it would be possible from the airport. In fact no worthwhile resort can be reached in that time from Munich airport.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, bingo, exactly the info I was after. Lets get real then - worthwhile resort, transfer as per my criteria save for the timeframe - how long and to where?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are trains from Munich airport but only local ones (S-Bahn). You would always have to change at München Hauptbahnhof (the main Munich station) or München Ost (Munich East, nearer the airport but not all long distance trains stop there leaving Munich). Garmisch, Kitzbühel and all the Brixental resorts (Kirchberg, Brixen, Westendorf - though the latter are in the SkiWelt that you skied last year) have stations. The Zillertal would require a further change of trains. Probably a transfer company is a better bet, if you don't want to guddle around.

It would take about two and a quarter hours driving from the airport to Kitzbühel (at my steady pace and assuming no hold-ups).

There are ski areas nearer Munich, e.g. Sudelfeld, Spitzingsee or Brauneck (Lenggries), (an hour's drive or less), but they are small and busy with locals at the weekend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Leuzzi, well, if you've done Soll and want to move on, your choices boil down to Kitzbuhel/Kirchberg, St Johann, Fieberbrunn, Going, Ellmau. Personally I'd aim for Kitzbuhel and a hotel somewhere up near the Hahnemkann gondola - as a town it's just more special that the rest and if the weather was crap you'd still be able to entertain yourself. Transfer on a sunday from the airport to the resorts is almost never a problem as the traffic is heading the other way. Only the weather can really screw you up.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, It takes about 1hr 45mins to Kaltenbach, in Zillertal - this is the village at the bottom of the Hochzillertal ski area www.ski-optimal.at . Probably about 2 hrs to Zell am Ziller, further along the Ziller valley www.zillertalarena.com
Bode Swiller, 's link www.tirol-taxi.at is for an airport transfer company called Four Seasons Travel. Efficient and quite reasonable prices.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Leuzzi, depends when your flight lands at Munich but, sometimes, it's worth just going up to the taxi rank and haggling. If it's the end of the day and not many flights due in, you'll find that one of them will happily take your cash - I suggest wafting it while talking. I've done it a few times and it's amazing how the price tumbles if you keep just saying "no, I'll get the train". I got 6 people to Kitzbuhel for 200 Euro that way.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi, if you have not yet booked your flights, why not fly to Salzburg or Innsbruck instead and increase your options? As you are only intending to do 2 or 3 nights maximising your time on the slopes seems to be the main criteria.

Taxi companies serving Salzburg and Munich from the Ski Amade area include Taxi Hüber (who I believe flangesax uses for their transfers), Habstätter Reisen, Pongauer Funk Taxis amongst many others.

Or you could try these people: http://www.airportcitytransfer.com/ Never used them but they seem fairly flexible and saying they are cheap and promise a fixed price in advance.

If you are already booked for Munich, the trains can beat the taxis hands down in bad weather and/or heavy traffic and they are way easier to negotiate than the public transport system you have in the UK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpbach nice resort but limited skiing around 50k enough for 2 0r 3 days. again i would recomend four seasons taxis and if you use lufthansa 10% discount
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

mattiwilkin, can we access/link anywhere else by ski (or by car) from Alpbach?

Samerberg Sue, would love to fly to Salzburg but due to the way of the economic world the normal schedule that we used to use doesn't exist anymore, upshot being the flights aren't working for us in terms of days to and from

Bode Swiller, will you come with me and haggle? wink

espri, if we stayed at Kirchberg - how long is the transfer from Munich? Can we link by skis into the Kitsbuhel area? And as to your suggestion of
Quote:

Garmisch one day, Seefeld another and maybe perhaps Lermoos too
are you saying thats a drive to each each day?
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, Kirchberg is part of the Kitzbühel system- Straight up the Fleckalmbahn or Pengelstein1 and you are in the main system. Fleckalmbahn arrives just behind and above the Hahnenkamm.

Take a look at who flies into Salzburg from Stansted (your nearest airport I believe). Air Berlin is quite good I've been told and may carry skis for nowt! It is part of the Lufthansa group so you may even get the discounts that Bode Swiller was talking about.

The transfer from Munich should take about 90 minutes but a lot depends on the weather and traffic - it is about 160km but you want your driver to take you via Wörgl that way you miss the stop-go traffic winding up from Kufstein through the Ski Welt area. By driving further along the A12 to Wörgl you can go up the faster road via Westerndorf and Brixen im Thale, avoiding all the traffic heading for Söll, Scheffau, St Johan in Tirol, etc. It is the way I drive every time.
snow report
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:
The transfer from Munich should take about 90 minutes
only at one o'clock in the morning! Normally from Munich airport to Kirchberg I would reckon at least two hours. Minimum.
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, Pogo-stick, Roller-blades, space-hopper, taxi?................depends how deep your pockets are, if it were myself I'd be doing Kitzbuhel/ Kirchberg/ Pass Thurn by private transfer if €'s permit and if car/ train a definite no-go. Remember that MUC is 20 km NE of Munich, a long taxi meter ride to any ski resort around the Ring. I'd be on the train (as normally am) or if a few people in a hire car (also as we do).
snow report
I'd have a look at Schladming. There's a direct train to the resort from Munich Hbf 2 or 3 times a day. Big intermediate pistes ideal for clocking up the miles. If you can get to Salzburg then Taxi Maxi will pick you up for €150 each way up to 8 people and it's about 50 minutes. Munich is 2 1/4 hours. Far better lifts, snow record and snow making than the likes of Kitzbühel as well.
snow conditions
downhillalltheway, I do like Schladming and that could work well for us. How long is the train journey?
snow report
It's pretty slow I think - maybe 4 hours.You can check on www.bahn.de. Taxi Maxi picked a group of us up for €400 each way last year. Best way is definitely to hire a car and you'll do it in 2 1/4 hours. As I've said on another thread Sporthotel Royer will book rooms on a non Saturday to Saturday basis.
ski holidays
If you want to return from Salzburg on a mid week flight then your only flight options are with British Airways and Air Berlin to and from London Gatwick. Forget about Stansted or Luton unless you want to return on a Weekend.
snow report
You can fly Luton to Salzburg in Easyjet on a Sunday with some very cheap prices which would at least improve the transfer one way.
snow conditions
Steilhang, I've done it in 90 minutes before and I've also taken over 4 hours just to get from the airport to my place above Rosenheim. As I said it is so weather and traffic as well as time of the day dependent!

The Wörgl route does save you quite a bit of frustrating driving though wink
snow conditions
@samerberg is right but in my opinion the train agrees with you and the company that advised you in my opinion is wrong I prefer this http://www.taxi-airports-transfer.com/. Anyway, I hope you found it well. I have been traveling a lot lately and, sorry for the delay on the answer but before I was never so I could not answer it and I did not even know this wonderful forum.
latest report
@Fedric, after a six year delay you push some taxi outfit in your first post... rolling eyes
snow report
@Fedric, I'll have a quote from Munich to St Anton return please January 12 people.....By the way your website looks well dodgy, where are you based, it ain't happening. wink
ski holidays
better late than never. I like to answer the threads I know. I just wrote my thoughts and it may be useful as you are reading what I wrote!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done Mayrhofen by private transfer to Munich and was straightforward easy trip in weekday daytime ( also by coach many times on Saturdays, still seemed pretty easy & quick.) Mayrhofen or the other Zillertal resorts could all suit you, lots if options, good ski bus and train links ( for day to and from resorts) and glacier also if conditions aren't great.

Don't know too many other resorts I'm afraid (not from Munich). I recall well under 2 hour transfer.

Alpbach should suit you OK, nice place.
ski holidays
Why not fly to Innsbruck?
ski holidays
@Samerberg Sue, RIP
snow conditions
I've done Memmingem to St Anton by car and we are driving Munich to Mayrhofen this season. Good roads and you can hit about 100 resorts in under two hours. Problem is the ski area, lots of resorts are under 100kms of runs. Pick your area by your skill level and the amount of skiing you want to do. Toofy Grin
snow report
I can vouch for Four Seasons (mentioned earlier) from/to Munich Airport. Reasonable prices and reliable.
snow conditions
@Kandahar, the amount of skiing you do has little to do with the size of the resort. I'm quite happy to pick a run and do it five times in a row... especially if it happens to have fresh pow!
latest report
@Steilhang, +1......makes me laugh when we are in Warth, we can ski the same runs in over-knee deep powder all day and deserted pistes all round us.....the glitterati from Lech come over, do 1-2 runs and go back over because it's too small an area.....that suits me just fine!
latest report
If you are going to Kirchberg/ Kitzbuhel try one of the local companies like Andis Taxis who do shared cheap transfers to Salzberg. They might do Munich. Kirchberg or Kitz will give you plenty of miles for a couple of days. Compliments to Peter Leuzzi on his taxi style.
latest report
@Peter Leuzzi, Trains are excellent in Germany & Austria. They run on time, efficient, clean & Cheap compared to any Train Travel I have experienced in the UK.
snow report
stanton wrote:
@Peter Leuzzi, Trains are excellent in Germany & Austria. They run on time, efficient, clean & Cheap compared to any Train Travel I have experienced in the UK.

Bit of a myth. Munich Airport to somewhere like Kufstein or Woergl or Kitzbuhel ranges from 32-45 Euros one way. For a similar length journey in the UK you would pay about the same or probably less. I have suffered enough delays at Munich Ostbahnhof to know that it isn't like clockwork either, and the inter city trains are awkward if you have bulky luggage, people often have to leave it outside the compartment in the narrow corridor. I find it more reliable than driving and cheaper than taxi but its not the nirvana you describe.
latest report
@Pruman,
Munich to Kufstein is a Bayern ticket, so 25 Euro each way (and the kids travel free).
ski holidays
@Pruman, Most Europeans have 50% or more discount cards so it is easily half that price or more. We also reserve seats !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy