Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how far do you go ...

Poster: A snowHead
in an 'average' day's skiing? and how do you tell how far you've gone?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I can feel my toes when I take my boots off- I didnt go far enough
If I have to pay 35 euro for a 5 euro taxi journey - I went too far
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
poma, you can buy a gps, this will record your movements and tell you total distances moved.

I've got one, but haven't done this yet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
poma, about 25,000 vertical feet on a typical day skiing with friends. I tell by looking at my watch, which tracks such things. My biggest day was a bit over 40,000 vertical feet, if I recall correctly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don´t know much about these things but won't a gps thingy only tell you how far you´ve gone in a straight line on the flat - how does it take height into account? You could go down a very long very steep run, but not actually have covered much horizantal distance.

The only reference points I've got as comparisons for distance covered are a day spent with an instructor where we skied from Val D'Isere to Les Arcs via Tignes, La Plagne and a lot of random mountain in between - the instructor said we'd skied over 100 miles, and that included a fair bit of walking and poling in between some hard piste skiing, although that was a 9.00am start, 5.15pm finish, with no lunch stop. My other reference point is the 16km Sarenne in Alpe D'Huez - after a few minutes I jokingly asked the instructor if we were half way yet (expecting to have only covered 1 or 2 km), to be amazed when he said we were almost at the bottom.

Conclusion, you probably cover far more miles than you think you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear a heart rate monitor while skiing which tells me how many calories I have burnt off & how long I've been skiing for. Only able to compare days, ie I worked harder/skied for longer on day x than day y. Woud like to know how far I've gone though - does going up on lifts count towards your daily total?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
About 20,000 verticle feet without pushing it too hard I suppose that works out to arround 36km of piste, sorry for the change in units by the way, If I'm with friends and we're pushing it a little that might go up to arround 30,000 verticle feet and about 50km of piste
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
poma, good question, don't know the answer, but something else to argue about in the bar apres ski. Un autre biere si vous plait! (only got grade 5 O level).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lucie only the down part counts, having said that going up on a lift usualy means skiing down Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lucie - I also tried a heart rate monitor this year. Do you find that your day 1 average hr / calorie burn is far higher than day 2, and that it decreases over the week? I've presumed that this was as a result of acclimatisation to altitude, or on the other hand it could be to do with my lack of fitness. Still, it all helps to justify that extra helping of tartiflette. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just worked it out!!
Day 1 - 438 cals per hour
Day 2 - 448 cals per hour
Day 3 - 488 cals per hour
Day 4 - 487 cals per hour
Day 5 - 314 cals per hour (skiing with the snowploughers that day!)
Day 6 - 373 cals per hour (end of holiday wind down!)
Average for the week was 424 cals per hour & I did just under 38 hours of skiing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lucie Axford, how did you work it out?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's this little thing called a calculator......... Wink they might have them in Halifax soon, you use it instead of your abacus!

Sorry

I keep a record of cals per day & hours skied, it all gets stored in the watch receiver of your heart rate monitor
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AAAAAAAGGGGHH! pedants!pedants!pedants!pedants!pedants!
It's a hill with SNOW . . . ENJOY IT . . . don’t analyse the back bottom off it! Read Ott’s thread . . . one run in a weekend following a peach of a bum can a be lifepoint of true value.
You really need to get off the lift one day and walk up the hill to appreciate the pleasure of sliding down it.
:end of rant!:

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 17-03-04 22:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque a little loud but a point well made !
latest report
Masque, good point, well made.

It's quality guys, not quantity...chill & enjoy. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I’m not ashamed . . . at least I won’t be till I’m sober. Maybe it’s me, but if people are measuring their time on the snow in terms of sterile numbers (as soooo many Americans do) and not experiencing the visceral thrills of standing at the top of a hill, looking up and seeing the darkness of the universe, looking out to see a billion years of planet formation, looking down to see a personal challenge and looking in to find a place to keep that glory, then I have to wonder why they’re there. They should spent a night of their holiday in a mountain redoubt watching the stars weave their magic or listening to the wind tag their souls.
snow report
It's the only thing that keeps you from going mad, eh, Masque ?
snow conditions
Going? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Masque, what makes you think that one can't do all that you suggest and have a little fun afterwards by remembering it together with the numbers? For example, I often end my day and forget about my watch until I'm at the car or on my way back home. Then, I'll check the number of runs and see how many I can recall in detail. I remember the views from the various summits and places I chose to stop and stare at the scenery. Some people take pictures, I keep numbers. Sometimes.

Other times, I just ski.

It depends on my mood. Now, why do people have to enjoy it the same way that you do to make it a pleasure? Wink Cool
latest report
I just happen to know the rough heights and distances of my favorite runs so added a typical day up, mind you I could be out by quite an amount Embarassed
ski holidays
ssh, Still I see what masque means, for me it kind of diminishes the experience, takes away the magic.... try to analyse the 'buzz', and it becomes something else...
snow conditions
ssh, I'll not lump you in with the hordes of philistines who set out to and define their day by adding up the numbers. Those morons that can’t understand and don’t care that they’re squandering the opportunity and a unique pleasure that will almost certainly be denied to their grandchildren. It is a predominantly American trait and derives from a sociological need to turn every activity into puerile competitiveness. . . .
Do I go on and get really wound up? Na not today I’ve work to do, but ssh, I’m not pulling this response outa my butt, I may live in Europe but my home state’s Pa. rolling eyes
latest report
So we all have to live our lives according to Masque do we?

Skiing is my primary interest on the mountain, it just so happens I wear my HRM & track my workout time/cals because it's INTERESTING to me. Me - couldn't give a toss if anyone else is interested or not

Don't forget:
... One man's pleasure is another man's toil...

The very fact that you're chewing your crayons in frustration makes you just as anal as the rest of us. If we were all as fantastic as you sweetie, the world would be a very dull place.

Now play nicely Smile
ski holidays
True Lucie, if Masque had followed his fitness regime more closely and managed his training, he may have been in slightly better shape today! But maybe he just doesn't want to live that long.... It takes all sorts....

I suppose that there are extremes, the apparently suicidal tendancies of some (!) and the compulsively regimented lives of others. Somewhere there's got to be a happy medium...? Smile
snow report
Sorry Lucie, didn't mean to put you in the same group as the vertical counters. Yes, you are measuring a personal achievement with a definitive benefit to the outcome. I’m talking about the cretins that measure their day in “vert”. What possible use is there for it other than peer baiting? All it’s measuring is the amount of time you’ve had yer back bottom stuck to a chairlift! It’s defined by the speed of the lift, and the angle of climb. Coming down the hill is only a very small percent of that and the differential between skiers is extended by the ride up. It is meaningless and an extraordinarily lazy way to show off! I can do more vert in a day on the Bolin/Claret baby lift in Tignes, than any of those idiots.
IF . . . measuring ‘vert’ were to mean ‘walk-up ski down’, THEN we’re looking at a viable measure on a number of criteria and personal achievements.
I really have a prob listening to the scum on the gene-pool boasting about how lazy they’ve been without even acknowledging the privilege they’ve defiled!
As for live by my rules! NEVER – but I ask you to listen to my argument before you tell me to ***k -off
Laughing
snow conditions
This analogy may help explain my feelings on this:
Fox has just finished his Scope challenge. I’m sure he’ll agree that it was a gruelling slog, up and down the mountains with little or no time to appreciate his surroundings.
But he and his fellows had a purpose and with their efforts have achieved more than many of us will and are truly worthy of the accolade hero. Fox deserves both our support and our approbation. He’s more than welcome to stand in our company and shout “look what I’ve done”.
But what if Fox had done this just to stand there and shout about his prowess? For me that would diminish his achievement to nothing more than a braggart.
I know Fox is better than that.
I’ve spent too many evenings sat in bars enjoying the day’s memories yet having to endure the monosyllabic and frequently obscene boasting of a bunch of ‘guys’ punching the buttons on expensive toys.
The Hill and the snow isn’t even a part of their inter ego bling competition.
You don’t see much of this in Europe and I pray we never will.
My views are personal and VERY subjective . . . and certainly moulded around a long background of walking and climbing in the mountains. It took me a long time before realising that sliding down the hill was more fun than walking down it (Duh!)
To those I inadvertently offend – my sincere apologies
To those I’m talking about – tough titty, I hope your fancy measuring equipment will give you as many glorious memories as I have.
ski holidays
I guess I've just been lucky to always ski with people who appreciate the snow & the mountains & don't feel the need to express their achievements in terms of how expensive their ski boots were or take out a full page ad.
Let's face it, all of our achievements pale into insignificance when related to those of Fox & his fellow white peakers

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 18-03-04 10:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear, look what I've started ... I was just INTERESTED as I had no idea how far I might go in a day ... sorry guys
ski holidays
Oh dear, look what I've started ... I was just INTERESTED as I had no idea how far I might go in a day ... sorry guys
latest report
No, more, more!!
I love a good (virtual) barney with Masque before breakfast. set's me up for the day Madeye-Smiley
latest report
snow report
Hey poma you don't have to press the submit button quite so many times Laughing we understand you're sorry snowHead
latest report
Sorry to disappoint you Lucie, I’ve laundry to do and work to finish so I’ll be fairly quiet today + I’ve got permission to relate the willy signpost story. I had to ask ‘cos he could be identified by many who were there and many who weren’t. I’ll bang it out tonight.

poma, don't worry, I've had a burr under my sadle about this for a long time. I've another one I might just poke into the fire and see what goes 'bang'. snowHead
latest report
Lucie Axford, but how does you watch know how fit you are?
snow report
I ski to enjoy myself.
Apart from last weekend, when the numbers mattered (particularly since some people sponsored me by the peak).
Generally, the measurement I use to judge my skiing is the size of the smile on my face at the end of the day.
ski holidays
My wife gave me, for Christmas, one of those much Masque maligned Suunto watches. I struggled and just managed to keep the disapointment off my face Exclamation In our 10 years together, I've never so much as even hinted in an interest in gadgets. Obviously I tactfully thanked her, opened up the instructions, promptly reached for the Bucks Fizz, gulped down a glass, and put everything back in the box and diverted her attention with my present to her. A pair of pearl and diamond earings.

Phew, instant success, and watch forgotten.

I do use it for telling the time, and have even worked out how to use the altimeter and that's as sad as it gets! I can't see the point, frankly. Free your mind and enjoy the experience. Don't make it another thing for sad people to get all hyped up about how far/fast they've travelled. If you really want to do that, buy a car or something.

Oh, and should my wife stumble in here - sorry darling. It keeps great time Wink
latest report
Dave Burt wrote:
Don´t know much about these things but won't a gps thingy only tell you how far you´ve gone in a straight line on the flat - how does it take height into account?

They measure altitude. If you have the right software you can get all this information out of a track. The altitude is pretty accurate these days although the amount of info they store on a track depends a bit on the memory of your GeePeeEss
latest report
Sweet Fox, says it all, many congrats. JohnB
snow report
marc gledhill,
Don't know the entire scientific formula, but your calorie burn is related to your heart rate - higher heart rate = more exercise = more cals burnt (at it's most basic level). You programme your age, weight & sex into the watch as these are all relevant factors as well. A high heart rate means you have been working very hard - either because you've been skiing hard or you're very unfit. My day 5 - 315 cals/hr - was lower than all the others cos I spent a lot of the day standing around & waiting for other skiers to catch up, rather than my usual fast & furious Question pace
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy