Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The downside of DIY holidays

Poster: A snowHead
dsoutar, I hope that you have good luck with the Claviere tourist office, as others have mentioned there are more hotels there and Montgenevre is really so close. We stayed there in some apartments - booked through Peak Retreats who have a bit of other accommodation there too - and our place was at the Claviere end of Montgenevre. If you are having a hire car it will be no problem to go between the two.

And its nice to be going to see her - our daughter did one season in Austria and we went over there a couple of times (happened to be where we always went for Christmas) and the second gap year, after uni, she spent the winter in Whistler, so yes, we went there too, and coincidentally quite a few parents of friends she had made there were visiting at the same time. She did stay some nights in a spare room in our hotel apartment, and also hit our washing machine there a few times too; we ended up taking quite a few of them out to dinner most nights - apparently they all really looked forward to parental visits and getting to eat in some of the places they only gazed into otherwise.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I presume you have tried the Claviere and Montgenevre tourist office websites. Lots of Hotels in both - they can't all be full.

Lovely area, by the way, loads of good off-piste and tree skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there,

Might be worth trying to contact the Hotel Miramonti directly, is a basic (2 star) but nice hotel in Claviere

http://www.claviere.it/it/la-localita/dove-dormire/alberghi/102-hotel-miramonti.html

The hotel is used by the TOs but also caters for direct bookings by the Brits, French and Italians - if you can manage the language barrier is a cute little hotel and does not charge the earth, food is pretty good to. (nothing too special, but is traditional Italian)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And as some of the other posters have mentioned - Montgenevre is literally just up the road, is a 15 minute walk at best. So any hotel in Montgenevre should be good for visiting her. (just remember to bring lots of supplies for her!)

If your daughter is doing a season over there then she will be well used to doing the walk late at night, all the seasonaires get pretty used to it as the nightlife in Clav is a little.. limited..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
another option is crystal who have a few hotels in claviere
( we are going back for the second tile in january )

last year even though they had run out of flights there were still rooms in the clubhotel that they run so you may be able to get a room
if you already have flights etc

there were a few private apartments that seemed to be empty too

The small hotel on the bottom of the slope into town also had a couple of spare rooms

as already said then there is also montgenevre which is less that 10 minutes walking

best of luck
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dsoutar

Someone has scammed you here....(probably the hotel)

I am am an accommodation provider (check sig) and use booking.com

booking.com and accommodation providers can not cancel reservations.

Only you can cancel a reservation through the booking.com website.

When you hit the book button you and the hotel and booking.com enter into a contract... Even if there was no deposit requirement or whether or not they require card details at the time of making the booking; only you can cancel your reservation.

I am assuming that the hotel are trying to be crafty and are posing as booking telling you that it has been canceled.
If you look online at booking.com I expect the reservation is still there!

You should phone booking.com as soon as possible to find out how the reservation was cancelled.

I have tried to cancel reservation i nthe past and it is impossible!... If I have overbooked I must find alternative accommodation at the same standard for the same price. I must also then off-load any non booking.com punters first... they are very, very strict about all this.

I'm quite interested in the email... should you have time feel free to contact me i nf o [at] aus trian-ad ventures .com (remove the spaces and chuck a @ in..)

Good luck!... and be as pushy as possible on the phone!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax, Well done, this is what snowHead s is about! Giving information in a friendly and personable fashion! I also thought that the OP may have been fobbed off! Let us know what offer the company comes back with!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a frim interest in this thread... Mainly because I will have a serious roast with booking.com if they have allowed this!... mainly 'cos I can't do it wink

[edit]... the wife has just pointed out that when there are any problems with bookings it is normal for booking.com to phone you first before any changes are made to the booking.

Get on the phone to them ASAP!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

booking.com (the agent)

Quote:

DIY

Does not compute. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DIY - booking all parts separetely, as opposed to a package fro a tour op
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, understood, but just checked it out and I hadn't appreciated what booking.com is. Sounded to me as if the whole thing had been booked through an agent. So I guess it does compute (sort of).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snob rules about exactly what constitutes DIY? I did't think the DIY/TO argument had any further to go. I was wrong. Booking the hotel through a hotel booking website, the very cheek of it. Who do you think you are with your new fangled contraptions.

What about using expedia/opodo to book the flights? Is that allowed in the "DIY Rules"? Or should one absolutely have to ring the airline office oneself? Or, better still, visit head office in person and present a hand written request, show some real commitment to the DIY cause.

Sheesh.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 28-09-11 12:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Booking.com aren't really an agent, more of a booking engine. Once you click the submit button, everything is dealt with by the hotel directly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
dsoutar, perhaps you could try the Claviere tourist office?
+1

Good plan I think. The site doesn't seem to offer on-line searching but if you contact them I'm sure they can check for vacancies.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Simple.

DIY means finding the best deal by:

1) price the overall package with multiple TOs
2) price flight, transfer, lodging, food, liftpass (+lesson+hire if needed) separately.

Take the best of the above.

Sometimes, you can't find what you want on TO offer, so you're stuck with 2. Other times, you find 2 better value than 1, you TAKE 2). But even if you end up going with 1 (TO), you've done all the leg work as DIY. You just pick the best package by taking advantage of the TO's volume buying power much the same way you do your booking with expedia.com.

Those who never price the "items" separately, of course never know what they're missing (the freedom and the hassle). They're NOT DIY.
snow conditions
Latest update. After enquiring with Calviere Tourist office there was little availability due to the very high season nature of my requriement. We managed to find something cheap in Sauze D’Oulx which was far from ideal but the best available. I also asked the tourist office about the hotel involved in the cancellation and they said it was closed so I presumed shut down. Then yesterday I get a flurry of emails. One from Booking.com saying that they had spoken to the hotel who had still have availability and would honour our booking directly and two from the hotel themselves confirming same and also stating that they had ceased commercial arrangements with Booking.com from 1 July 2011 hence the cancellation.

I’m still slightly nervous about all of this and may keep the other booking until December (I have a 7 day cancellation agreement) but on the face of it things seem OK. I am going to call the hotel today just to get verbal confirmation.
latest report
dsoutar, Whether or not the hotel decided to cease using booking.com in July 2011 the booking still stands and it is the fault of the hotel.
At any time an accommodation provider can log on and close rooms.
So the hotel should have closed their rooms to prevent any future bookings.

eg.. I decide to stop using them... give them my notice which may be a day week month.. I can't remember what is in the contract. At this point I should log on to the sys5tem and cancel all of my available rooms with them... otherwise I may receive a booking for any time in the future whilst I am waiting for my notice to expire.

I think you are right to check with the hotel directly and make sure they have a deposit from you... then all should be sorted!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy