Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen or Solden - Anyone been to both, need to compare!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just thinking about our trip next year which we didn’t think we were going to have, so very excited but can't decide between these two resorts. I've read as many reports and reviews as I can so have good idea what to expect and like the sound of both, but not seen a comparison by someone who’s tried both, which would be really useful.

Our deciding criteria are that we want to avoid T Bars (not because we have a phobia about them - we use Snowbikes and T bars are struggle with them). We also want “long” runs (not testing) just nice long cruises before you have to uplift again. And we like some tree-line skiing (which is where we might struggle in Solden). Any help, info, opinions much appreciated as always.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been to both, and would definitely choose Mayrhofen. Both are good but I enjoyed the ski area of Mayrhofen much more than Solden. The lift system in Mayrhofen is one of the best I've seen, almost all fast chairlifts. I can't really remember using a t-bar, if I did it was only once or twice.

There's plenty of longish cruisey runs; most of them are reds, there really aren't too many blue runs at all. For tree-lined skiing you'd probably be best to head to the Eggalm part of the ski area, although you'll find a few tree lined runs throughout.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dav, Thanks. We have a nervous skier in our party, would you say there are enough blues and easy reds for her to go at in a week?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to and enjoyed both. A few years since I went to Solden but I don't remember too many T bars and there certainly aren't too many in Mayrhofen. Both have cruisy runs, generally good snow records and good apres ski. Mayrhofen has a lot more British visitors than Solden and is the more attractive resort. I wouldn't hesitate going back to either but much prefer Mayrhofen.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953, I'd say a nervous skier would be ok, yes. We had a couple of novices in our group on one occasion that I went, one or two of the reds were a bit too steep for them but mostly they were fine. Most importantly, the runs are for the most part very wide, so that'll certainly help. There really are very few blue runs in the whole of the resort, but don't let that put you off; I found a fair few of the reds could probably be graded as a blue in any case.

Just keep them away from Hara Kiri; it's the steepest pisted run in Austria! A bit daft really, get the chairlift up to the top of it and you'll be guaranteed to see various talentless idiots coming a cropper and crashing all the way to the bottom of it. Of course, being as steep as it is, you simply can't stop yourself until the slope levels out towards the bottom. Its a fun spectacle, that's for sure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to both, although my trip to Sölden was my 1st skiing holiday quite a few years to go. The runs in Mayrhofen tend to be quite short, so I would advise Sölden is that's your main criteria.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Almost no comparison. Solden has something like 5,500' vertical from top of Gaislachkogl to the bottom lift station and tree lined from the mid station down. On the Hochsolden side it's about 4,500' vertical. Mayrhofen has really short runs by comparison and, mostly, you have to catch the lift back down at the end of the day. Not many T-bars in Solden and always alternative chairs or bubbles available. Solden's glacier area is also accessible from the main ski area whereas Hintertux is a 15km car/bus ride from Mayrhofen. Solden isn't as appealing as a town, it's a bit strung out but nighlife equally vibrant. Best solution would be Mayrhofen's town and Solden's terrain. So let's call that Ischgl.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, Ischgl…lovely but out of our price range even for a B & B!

I find the vertical number of a run is not always a good indication, it might be a black or part black run in which case we wouldn't use it - or where it starts or ends is not suitable, but I take on board what you are saying. I wasn’t aware that Mayrhofen runs were short so that’s good to know. For us it’s a day-time holiday so night life is of no consequence, we are happy to eat, have a couple of drinks at a hotel bar and go to bed. We don't shop, or do other things like skate and as long as the village isn’t a concrete jungle as we found in France, we are happy. We like nice places to stop for lunch, but Austria always has those. Snow quality and quantity is vital for our skiing friends (Snowbikes can almost run on grass but they don’t do well on ice!) and ski-convenience is nice to have, but realise that not every resort can have that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953, I know both well and would say Sölden meets all of your criteria far better than Mayrhofen. As Bode Swiller says the runs are shorter and there are still T-Bars around. I don't think there are any T-bars that you HAVE to use in Sölden - it is all chairs and gondolas, even up on the glacier. There is one T-bar you could use if you were desperate on the left-hand side of the Rettenbach glacier but that is mainly used by race teams who have reserved the piste over there for race training.

I can check out the actual number of T-bars when I ski in Sölden next month, I cannot remember using any other than the one mentioned above.

I don't see why people complain about the look of Sölden - yes it is strung out along the road but that road is not busy in the evenings. And across the river there are some delightful bars and restaurants if you are happy to walk half a kilometre from the main drag. I think that Sölden will meet your requirements and surpass them, plus I have seen more snow bikers there than anywhere else. There are tree lined runs on both parts of the system Giggjoch and Gaislachkogl, though the second area has more of them!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, Thanks, think Solden is the place for us, just checking TO v DIY and we don't seem to be able to shave anything off the price DIY - it's going to be our most expensive ski holiday yet!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We booked Solden - Erhart Hotel, 25th Feb...now the counting and webcam watching starts! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Savaloy Joy once went to Solden - maybe he'll have some insights for you, not sure if he's still around??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy