Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me plan a month off- 2nd season- LOADS of advice needed im an idiot :)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Ok- so i have about a month of holiday saved up that i want to take in one big hit skiing this season.

I have only skiied about 8 days in my life- all of which was last season- 5 days on one holl and 3 days on another. However- im fairly good at it despite this- last holl was with Club Med where i was in group 4/7- so an intermediate in terms of learners anyway. Tough terrain, very high speeds or fategue and my limited technique really shows up however Sad Really keen to improve on this!

Im 28 and so have missed out on a decade of skiing so far- so i want to make up for it now! Im never gonna do this with just a week away every year- so this month should make up for it a bit!

(I will try and do a full ski season in a couple of years- but atm thats not feasable with work. So- a month skiing is the next best thing!)

Below is a list of my requirements.

Great social life and lots of people my age. I will be going alone so will want to meet new people. Ideally no drunk 17 year olds who spend most of their time getting wasted- but also no areas heavily centred around family etc and older people. Meeting ppl is fun but hard work- so it would be nice if i met ppl who were gonna be there for a while- rather than befriending a new group every week. I wonder if im in a bit of a limbo at my age? Not 23 but not 35?!

Anywhere in the world. France is looking great in terms of English speaking but a nice culture too? Anywhere will be considered- please list pro's & cons Smile

Any time next year. Im thinking Feb as it will hopefully offer a good balance between snow and reasonable weather?

I will need lessons. Ideally quite a few. Whats the most cost effective way of doing this? Last year club med was about £900 @ Les Arc 2k all in including lessons which was pretty good- but the social side was poor- our resort was pretty much self contained- huge variation in ages etc- and no one went out as our hotel was all inc.!

If im there for a month- a large number of slopes with easy access to other slopes may be an advantage?

Budget- fairly flexable. Would rather make this decision when i have factored everything else in. Perhaps £3-5k all in?

Im open to all suggestions at the moment- and can always do some research if you guys would be kind enough to point me in the right direction Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colorado? You got English speaker instructors guaranteed.

Normally, N. America is considered cost prohibitive due to the flight cost. But for a month, you flight cost is a much smaller portion of the total cost.

Another "usual" drawback of N.A. hills are their size, or the lack of, that is. But in Colorado, you have the option of a season pass covering 5 mountains. 1 of the 5 being the largest in America. There's definitely enough terrain for a month. The season pass cost is relatively cheap at US$499 (last I checked).

3 of the 5 mountains are linked by bus. The same bus also covers 2 real town where people live. So you have a good shot at social life. The other 2 are link to each other but requires a shuttle or hired car to get from the other 3. Or you could move your bed base for 2 of the 4 weeks.

Lodging should not be too costly if you don't choose the peak time (3rd week of Feb).

I have no idea of the social life. But if you're staying at Frisco, which is a real town, you should be able to find some locals to hang out with. Again, no language barrier (well, maybe there is Wink )
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmmmmm- very tempting Smile

Cost is looking pretty good too! However- the american style/personality can be a little abrasive for us brits- not sure if i could cope with it for a whole month- my concern would be its all a bit macho and in your face? maybe this is an unfair generalisation Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go to Tahoe then, where the "locals" are actually Kiwis. Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like you're living the dream! If it were me I'd still mix it up and maybe do 2x fortnights, but it does make more sense if you go to the US or Canada. I sort of see what you mean about our American cousins, most come across as being very confident and with that perhaps a little arrogant but once you get passed that they're generally very nice folk! Just like anywhere else, less of a language and cultural barrier than anywhere in Europe though.

In Austria, France, Italy etc you'll find plenty of Brits working over there, not sure how easy it would be to break into social circles that consist of seasonal workers or holiday makers though. If you're doing lessons then that would be the obvious way to meet people but again 99% will be holiday makers so will only be there for a week.

As for ski coutries/areas your money will go further in Austria than France, Italy is nice but doesn't have as many large ski areas which if you have 4 weeks you'll want a big area or other resorts a short bus journey away.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:
Colorado? You got English speaker instructors guaranteed.

Normally, N. America is considered cost prohibitive due to the flight cost. But for a month, you flight cost is a much smaller portion of the total cost.

Another "usual" drawback of N.A. hills are their size, or the lack of, that is. But in Colorado, you have the option of a season pass covering 5 mountains. 1 of the 5 being the largest in America. There's definitely enough terrain for a month. The season pass cost is relatively cheap at US$499 (last I checked).

3 of the 5 mountains are linked by bus. The same bus also covers 2 real town where people live. So you have a good shot at social life. The other 2 are link to each other but requires a shuttle or hired car to get from the other 3. Or you could move your bed base for 2 of the 4 weeks.

Lodging should not be too costly if you don't choose the peak time (3rd week of Feb).

I have no idea of the social life. But if you're staying at Frisco, which is a real town, you should be able to find some locals to hang out with. Again, no language barrier (well, maybe there is Wink )

I think you got it right this time, but might suggest Breck over Frisco...more of a single social scene. Another plus about Breck and Keystone would be the unlimited adult lesson plans for 269 (last year).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
billy_boy_2010 wrote:
Hmmmmmm- very tempting Smile

Cost is looking pretty good too! However- the american style/personality can be a little abrasive for us brits- not sure if i could cope with it for a whole month- my concern would be its all a bit macho and in your face? maybe this is an unfair generalisation Smile

Not that many New Yorkers out in CO, so I doubt that will be a problem
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am also taking a month off and I am going to Tahoe. I have already bought a Tahoe Value Pass for US$369.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My initial thoughts were that perhaps live in a shared chalet somewhere (val d'isere, morzine, les arc, whistler) as this would give you instant "ski mates"........... Not all are full of 17 year olds on the lash and most of our operators in these resorts try and sort their guests so that properties will have like minded people in them.

Then I saw your budget (£3/5k for a month) which compared to what most people want to spend doing a month is quite high!! So my thoughts/suggestion changed.......... Why not decide where you want to go to and then if France contact some of the private catered chalet operators in that resort and see what sort of deal they would give you for 4weeks.

I would imagine if you were flexible on dates and looking to avoid the peak weeks, then a most would give you a room, full board and all the usual catered chalet offerings for a lot less than your budget. The benefit of this is that each week your "ski buddies" would change, the conditions would also change so that you would improve your skiing no end.

The 3rd option is that you could easily afford a nice apartment of your own but then you would need to put some effort into going out and meeting people to ski with.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pick one resort and as Marcellus suggested negotiate with an operator. Then pick an english speaking ski school like TDC who operate in Val and Tignes. Again negotiate for a package of lessons - rather than take them in one hit - do a couple of mornings - followed by a couple of days practcing. this way your skiing will progress and keep your costs down, Also by staying in the same resort you will make friends to ski with and the lift pass will be cheaper for a month than 2 separate fortnights in different resorts (and you could always come back for a weekend later). You may wish to avoid Feb anywhere in Europe as it is full of school kids - I'd go for Jan or April when the slopes will be quieter and the prices and deals will be better.

If you want contacts in Tignes please ask -
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
billy_boy_2010, as others have suggested, I'd avoid Feb (or at least the middle two weeks which are normally busier) if you can and opt for January or March instead when prices are more competitive and the slopes less crowded.

Maybe take a look at an operator like these guys? http://www.skivo2.co.uk/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If ski mates and social life are a priority over personal space I'd consider a hostel in a Canadian ski town, contact the hostel direct and ask if they have long stay rooms. Quite a lot of people will be there for a month or more and they usually have plenty of events like BBQs/keg nights/hockey.

..and I suppose we should mention it as well a lot of the gap year "instructor course" providers are tapped into this market for month long improvement courses with accomodation etc. Personally I think its a bit of a lazy option and you pay a premium for it all being done for you but its a good way of ticking your boxes and might be the only way to get lots of lessons cost effectively in Europe.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
billy_boy_2010, I'd aim for January if in France and even consider going a tad early if you select a high resort (>2300m) and look carefully and quickly at the season deals for passes.

Alternatively you could to the UCPA and ski a number of resorts –as there deals already include passes –Tignes/Les Arcs, Flaine (not great socially), Chamonix –

I’d also suggest a look at Crystal mountain – some of my best skiing ever there, absolutely fabulous: I'd kill for a month there! You can still book good flights into Seattle quite reasonably and you can call the to work out packages –Accommodation is limited there so don’t dawdle: They are selling pre-season passes now!
Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow what a response thanks so much guys Smile

Grizwald wrote:
Sounds like you're living the dream! If it were me I'd still mix it up and maybe do 2x fortnights, but it does make more sense if you go to the US or Canada. I sort of see what you mean about our American cousins, most come across as being very confident and with that perhaps a little arrogant but once you get passed that they're generally very nice folk! Just like anywhere else, less of a language and cultural barrier than anywhere in Europe though.

In Austria, France, Italy etc you'll find plenty of Brits working over there, not sure how easy it would be to break into social circles that consist of seasonal workers or holiday makers though. If you're doing lessons then that would be the obvious way to meet people but again 99% will be holiday makers so will only be there for a week.

As for ski coutries/areas your money will go further in Austria than France, Italy is nice but doesn't have as many large ski areas which if you have 4 weeks you'll want a big area or other resorts a short bus journey away.

I may have enough holl to do a long weekend or two anyway- so would rather keep the rest to a big month. I feel my skiing with improve at a greater rate if i cain it for a month- rather than a couple of weeks here & there.

As you say- breaking into existant social circles wont be easy- but made easier with either who i live with, or who i learn to ski with Smile

marcellus wrote:
My initial thoughts were that perhaps live in a shared chalet somewhere (val d'isere, morzine, les arc, whistler) as this would give you instant "ski mates"........... Not all are full of 17 year olds on the lash and most of our operators in these resorts try and sort their guests so that properties will have like minded people in them.

Then I saw your budget (£3/5k for a month) which compared to what most people want to spend doing a month is quite high!! So my thoughts/suggestion changed.......... Why not decide where you want to go to and then if France contact some of the private catered chalet operators in that resort and see what sort of deal they would give you for 4weeks.

I would imagine if you were flexible on dates and looking to avoid the peak weeks, then a most would give you a room, full board and all the usual catered chalet offerings for a lot less than your budget. The benefit of this is that each week your "ski buddies" would change, the conditions would also change so that you would improve your skiing no end.

The 3rd option is that you could easily afford a nice apartment of your own but then you would need to put some effort into going out and meeting people to ski with.

Very good advice re: the shared chalet providing instant ski mates. The budget is flexable really- i dont *have* to spend £5k- would be happy spending £2-3 also if i have just as much fun! Smile As you said- if i have a private chalet- its instantly more difficult to meet people.

Excellent advice re: avoiding peak weeks- will have to look into which these are. Changing ski buddies each week would be harder work tbh- would rather meet a group of ppl who were doing the same sort of thing as me than have to go through the whole "hi im x im from y etc" 4 times.

Actually- i have just seen- what exactly is a private chalet? Is it not the same as an apartment? if so- its tricky to meet people indeed. Or is a chalet more private but still mixing with ppl?

chocksaway wrote:
Pick one resort and as Marcellus suggested negotiate with an operator. Then pick an english speaking ski school like TDC who operate in Val and Tignes. Again negotiate for a package of lessons - rather than take them in one hit - do a couple of mornings - followed by a couple of days practcing. this way your skiing will progress and keep your costs down, Also by staying in the same resort you will make friends to ski with and the lift pass will be cheaper for a month than 2 separate fortnights in different resorts (and you could always come back for a weekend later). You may wish to avoid Feb anywhere in Europe as it is full of school kids - I'd go for Jan or April when the slopes will be quieter and the prices and deals will be better.

If you want contacts in Tignes please ask -

All good points. Guess i need to decide between US/Canada & Europe.

fatbob wrote:
If ski mates and social life are a priority over personal space I'd consider a hostel in a Canadian ski town, contact the hostel direct and ask if they have long stay rooms. Quite a lot of people will be there for a month or more and they usually have plenty of events like BBQs/keg nights/hockey.

..and I suppose we should mention it as well a lot of the gap year "instructor course" providers are tapped into this market for month long improvement courses with accomodation etc. Personally I think its a bit of a lazy option and you pay a premium for it all being done for you but its a good way of ticking your boxes and might be the only way to get lots of lessons cost effectively in Europe.

I dont know if im getting a bit old for a hostel lol. Im sure i could handle it- and could just check myself into a hotel occasionally- but i would rather bridge the gap somehow between a hostel and an apartment.

Your clearly a little hesitant about the instructor courses- but tbh this kinda sounds ideal.......i mean- i havn't been skiing long- so learning the theory would certainly help me. So long as we dont spend long in a classroom- or doing silly stuff like learning basic communication- or learning how to tell some idiot that hes doing wrong- but in a way where he wont hit you- this may be good???? At least i should look into what it can offer me- and then try and improve on it with my own custom made plan Smile

Jivebaby wrote:
billy_boy_2010, I'd aim for January if in France and even consider going a tad early if you select a high resort (>2300m) and look carefully and quickly at the season deals for passes.

Alternatively you could to the UCPA and ski a number of resorts –as there deals already include passes –Tignes/Les Arcs, Flaine (not great socially), Chamonix –

I’d also suggest a look at Crystal mountain – some of my best skiing ever there, absolutely fabulous: I'd kill for a month there! You can still book good flights into Seattle quite reasonably and you can call the to work out packages –Accommodation is limited there so don’t dawdle: They are selling pre-season passes now!
Cool

Why would you choose Jan for france? Smile And why such a high resort? In case there is no snow? In which case- cant i wait until March?

On my third week i may well choose to try a different resort for a few days- but would like a "base camp" as it were.

****************Guys- how long do i have to book all this thing? I was planning on taking several weeks to research it all. Is that going to be far too long???***************
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want to stay in one place then although there's no rush, season passes are usually on offer until mid October. That's the case for most French resorts, VERBIER 4V, and quite a few of the north American resorts too. I'd rather spend 800€ on ski equipment than on an overpriced lift pass. Which reminds me, I have to order mine PDQ, Embarassed
snow conditions
Italy is a lot cheaper for lessons, ski hire and has the bonus of fantastic food. The dolomites is the largest linked area in the world to my knowledge so would have plenty of skiing options. You can also move to different resorts in the dolomites if you get a bit bored of the nightlife in one. I wish I had the hard decision of where I was going to ski for a month.
latest report
Sorry if my post wasn't clear so I'll try and explain the options better;

1) Shared accomm - you have a bed in a larger property and share the communal areas such as lounge, kitchen, bathrooms. You are responsible for your own cooking. You have someone else in the room with you.

2) Private apartment - as it suggests your own home.

3) catered chalet - your own room probably with ensuite in a chalet where you all your cooking and cleaning is done for you and the operators sell the other rooms to weekly holiday makers.
snow report
Jivebaby wrote:
If you want to stay in one place then although there's no rush, season passes are usually on offer until mid October. That's the case for most French resorts, VERBIER 4V, and quite a few of the north American resorts too. I'd rather spend 800€ on ski equipment than on an overpriced lift pass. Which reminds me, I have to order mine PDQ, Embarassed

Gosh, that only gives me a couple of weeks to make a decision! Was gonna take at least a month to really read into it!

How much cheaper are season passes? Roughly?
snow report
In some of the NA resorts, a season pass can be cheaper than 7 to 10 day tickets...Vail Resorts typically sells season passes until mid November, but may bump up slightly from the current price beforehand.
ski holidays
The most cost effective would be to rent an apartment for a month. Get an evening bar job and your social life is sorted out.
snow report
Ignore suggestions to get an evening job, you have the cash why work.....

How about St Anton for all of March. I would ignore suggestions to go anywhere in January if you can just as easily go in March, better snow more daylight etc etc. I would also bin Colarado as they don't know how to party, and the resorts ain't that big.

The most important thing if you want to improve quickly is to get seriously fit before you go and ski everyday, that along with some focused lessons, will do the trick. You don't need lessons everyday just enough to make sure you have the basic technique nailed then its simply time on the snow.
ski holidays
Go to Whistler, there's enough terrain to keep you entertained and plenty of secret stashes to find. Vancouver is only 2 hours down the road if you want a bit of an escape while you're there. The hostel in Whistler is pretty flash as well so I wouldn't rule that out as a bed option (it was built for Olympics athlete accom.) and there's plenty of nice hotels if you want a few nights of luxury as well.
latest report
Quote:

How about St Anton for all of March. I would ignore suggestions to go anywhere in January if you can just as easily go in March, better snow more daylight etc etc

+1, best chance of lots of powder.
snow report
Quote:

the american style/personality can be a little abrasive for us brits- not sure if i could cope with it for a whole month- my concern would be its all a bit macho and in your face? maybe this is an unfair generalisation

yes it is; go to America and shred your prejudices. wink

In France, have a look at UCPA, with all tuition (up to v high levels), food and gear included. Yes, you would often have new people each week; but is that a disaster? If you're out in a group with an instructor, you'll quickly get to know them.

PS. By no means all French people speak English. In fact you'll probably do better in Austria if that's a key criterion. Or even Australia.
latest report
Going green
snow report
May I jack this thread please?

Another Yank 60 who can turn both ways. Very seriously thinking about saying good buy to this life, and the wife (I am going to miss the dog). Have enough money to disappear and still buy beer.

The dream has been to disappear in Europe for a winter or more and live out of a backpack with 1 pair of skis for at least a season. Suggestions please on how to do this and where to go. I just want to see & ski what I have never seen before.

It is getting serious. Would deeply appreciate any help, like what thread to follow.
ski holidays
Quote:

I would also bin Colarado as...the resorts ain't that big.

Ehhh?! Never heard anything like it!

Are you seriously suggesting that there would not be enough skiing in Colorado to entertain a skier for a month? Puzzled

It's been debated a lot on this forum over the years - quality versus quantity and all that...

IMHO Colorado offers some of the best skiiing anywhere - in terms of diversity of terrain (everything from beginners runs to hike-to, heart stopping chutes) and consistent snow quality. And (relatively speaking) season passes are ridiculously cheap. Very Happy
latest report
A 1 month bar gig isn't easy to come by mid season, but working is a good way to meet some of the locals who will be there your whole stay and show you some of the secret stashes (assuming you improve enough to handle the off piste).

Stranger, disappearing to Europe could be a lot of fun...I really enjoyed the year I did in Bourg St Maurice, but it really depends what you are looking for.

I'm with you Bergmeister, while I enjoyed the size of Les Arcs (the La Plagne link was down when I was there), there is plenty of great skiing to be had in CO. I skied there close to 200 days the past 3 years and enjoyed them all with new things left to do at many of the mountains.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy