Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

swiss experts..

Poster: A snowHead
mates started a new job near geneva so for one of our lads trips we are going to swerve on austria and go the chf land..
villars was the choice, made for no reason other then someone here at work mentioned it.. any one got any tips for a good lads trip resort 3 nights all reasonable skiers bar one .. will want some,make yourself look good, mellow stuff in the mix as well.. plus plenty of boozing..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier, 2 hours drive from Geneva. Plenty apres activities in town. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CANV CANVINGTON, I'd go along with Verbier, too. Expensive, of course, but I assume that is not a problem for you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for Verbier. Villars is quite low/not snow-sure.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nendaz as a cost effective version of Verbier?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Villars doesn't have much in eth way of boozing either so Verbier or nendaz
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take the train to Verbier and visit the Farinet and Pub Mont Fort before you go. Awesome. NehNeh Hotel L'Ermitage is in the square, warm , very clean family run place.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CANV CANVINGTON, Nendaz, good access to Verbier, see Les Etagnes hotel, right next to main gondola, Dutch owned, great apres bar, food, chilled hotel brilliant etc, and v reasonably priced (well used to be until recently!!). Going mid Feb, top place.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheers!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Possible shout for Les Diablerets? train from geneva to aigle, then mountain train right up to the resort. Verbier would be my number one choice though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CANV CANVINGTON, Forgot to mention, have skied in Villars but not in same league as 4 Vallees IMO, Verbier is fantastic and a proper very challenging tech ski area with high alpine 3000m+ availability, and mega off-piste................ and prices to suit. Villars is a low key rolling resort, very nice but certainly not as challenging, not the same catagory ski area. The above Verbier bars are great for the craic, also try Garbo if you are looking to stay in Verbier (new refit, closed last year, very trendy I think when reopens)............and take plenthy of CHF's...............thats why we stay in Nendaz, better VFM, same ski area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CANV CANVINGTON, Also to Geneva, 2 hour direct train to Sion (dont mention Celtic FC to the locals) and then local bus links up to Haute Nendaz, perfect transfer 40€ pp each way.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CANV CANVINGTON, From Gva why not Cham or PDS or some such?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, I absolutely love Chamonix, but I think the way the ski areas are spread out would make for a slightly frustrating three days - you need a bit more time there really to take advantage of the place. Verbier is no better a resort, but it's good and quite compact with it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, I sort of see your point, but surely accomodation choice makes a huge difference. And if it' good enough for Glen Plake, i'ts good enough for me...
snow report
GVA? I would be going to France, lots of skiing within an hour. Hell I can drive to Chamrousse in less time than it takes to get to Verbier.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Pedantica, I sort of see your point, but surely accomodation choice makes a huge difference. And if it' good enough for Glen Plake, i'ts good enough for me...
Are you talking about Chamonix or Verbier? Yes, accommodation makes a difference wherever you are but, say you're staying in Chamonix, you've still got a bit of trek to get to the GM or Le Tour; conversely, if you're staying in Argentiere, getting to ski around Brevent or up to the Aiguille du Midi is a bit of a mission. So you need a bit of time to get around all these wonderful places, whereas the ski area of Verbier is more compact. But I'm certainly not saying that the Mont Blanc ski area isn't good enough, it's fabulous! And Verbier's great too, though as a village/town, I personally prefer Chamonix.
latest report
Pedantica, Morzine then? Just don't see the lure of a more lengthy drive just to help strengthen the Swiss franc?
snow report
under a new name, is the drive to 4-vallees really more lengthy then to those larger resorts that are close to GVA? My experience has been that the traffic into the main French resorts (especially over and around weekends) is horrendous so I’m not sure about journey times etc. Swiss Franc point of course is very true!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Pedantica, Morzine then? Just don't see the lure of a more lengthy drive just to help strengthen the Swiss franc?
That's a different issue, I think people are recommending Verbier on the basis that there's enough boodle to handle it. Morzine's fine too.
snow conditions
I'm just off to Verbier for a weekend of MTB. I'll let you know what it's like Cool There's a cheese festival on too. I'll let you know what that's like too wink
ski holidays
1556garyt, Better access to 4V and easier drive than the Moutiers, Bourg log-jam IME.
snow conditions
under a new name, PS - consider the thread title!
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, Unless you do not care about cost, then swiss is more expensive right now. If your friend lives near Geneva then you should look towards France maybe. Chamonix and other resorts within an hour and half of Geneva such as Flaine, Les Gets, Megeve etc are all good and have plenty for all levels of skiing and nights out. Geneva is great as you have many places to choose from. Verbier is further away than most of these places and takes more than two hours by car on a weekend, but it is a fun place with plenty of skiing and party places. Villars can be good, but not snow sure as with Les Diablerets. There are also places like Saas Fee, Crans Montana and Zermatt. All good for all levels as well. Hard choice for a few days. Have fun.
snow report
I've only spent a day at Villars, and it was quite nice but I found the runs pretty short, and the lifts very slow. I wouldn't rush back.

Personally for a good combo of skiing and nightlife Morzine, Chamonix and Verbier would be my pick, the first two about 60-90 mins from GVA, Verbier a couple of hours. Flaine has good skiing, but quiet nightlife.

You can get a train from GVA to Le Chable below Verbier and get the bubble up to the resort, whereas the French resort relies on car hire or transfer companies. Can all get pretty rammed at the weekend though.....
ski holidays
Pedantica, Ummm, not sure what you mean? OP says flying into GVA, So FR reosrts seem applicable to me...
snow report
under a new name, the thread title is Swiss experts and the OP says
Quote:

we are going to swerve on austria and go the chf land.
In other words, he wants Swiss recommendations, not advice against going to Switzerland.
ski holidays
Pedantica,

Pedant.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks again everyone... done the chamonix thing about half a dozen times. three valleys is on the to do list but we are always looking to keep travel time at the other end to minimum .. verbier sounds great but there are loads of 'work' dos going there from the city.. i want to be well clear of those!!!
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, So what's wrong with PDS, Samoens, La Clusaz, Megeve, etc. Almost all the closest skiing to GVA is in France...
snow conditions
under a new name, nothing at all been looking at PDS this after noon . a mate of ours goes to morzine a lot.. i was looking at champery to keep the swiss theme intact
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy