Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
It is absolutely dumping here in the Niseko Resort Area and is set to continue all week.

Skied Kiroro today expecting to have at most mid-boot on a sun crust. It was waist deep and over the head.

The top lifts at Niseko were on wind hold today.

Tomorrow will be epic.

If you're looking for a powder fix, head this way pronto.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great snow up here too! We were at Niseko at the weekend, which was very average. Warm temps, sleet, and (relatively) icy snow. Had a good night out though. Saw a few rowdy Welsh fans bailing out from watching the 6 nations in the early hours, wonder if you were among them Mike!?

View down to Hirafu on Sunday

IMG_0672

But winter returned on Monday, and it hasn't really stopped snowing since. Yesterday was a public holiday, so we had a day skiing up at Sapporo Teine. Even for January, it would have been an good pow day, but considering it's late March, it was really incredible. Didn't take many photos, it was snowing hard and visibility wasn't great.

On the Summit Express chair at Teine

IMG_0676

Looking down the barrel of Bowl 4 which was deep and light all day

IMG_0674

Fingers crossed it continues! Will probably be Teine again and then Mount Racey this weekend. Another trip down to Niseko planned for the following weekend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A cracking weekend! We had snow falling on and off through the week since Tuesday, and Sapporo Teine was awesome both Saturday and Sunday. At sea level, the snow was pretty slushy and wet, but up in the hills, it was light and deep! Spent two days exploring the back bowls getting faceshots and feeling like it was mid winter again! I hope it lasts, but even if it doesn't, this week has been an unexpected bonus!

Few photos from the weekend

Slash turn for the camera
IMG_0681

Launching into a soft landing
IMG_0687

Looking down into the Teine sidecountry
IMG_1724

Will be heading down to Niseko area again next weekend for the final time this season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all, been lurking all season, just wanted to say thanks for all the photos.
For the first time in seven seasons (this year), we went to Europe not Hokkaido & it was school mid term break (Doh!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It kept snowing lightly until Tuesday morning. Since then we've had gorgeous sunshine in this neck of the woods. I've been taking advantage of the lighter evenings to get out and enjoy the spring snow.

IMG_1728

Alot of the smaller hills are now closed for the season. But larger/higher places will be open until Golden Week (late April, early May). Forecast for the next few days isn't great, with temperatures rising and rain on the way. I haven't got high hopes for Niseko this weekend, but hopefully more snow should arrive early next week.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ugh horrible weather at the moment. Strong winds from the south, high temperatures and rain. Looking like this'll stick around for the next 24 hours or so and then HOPEFULLY turn to snow as the temperatures drop again. Leaving this evening for Niseko, hoping at least for a decent day on Sunday....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Windy but not raining here yet MagSeven
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glad to see this thread still going and the snow has been falling. Really been missing Fantasy Island's powder the last few weeks in the Western Alps not that that prevented some good skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good to hear CH is delivering for you.

March was very good on Fantasy Island.

April starting well. 50 cm forecast this week.

But rain on Tuesday too Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
April has indeed started well. Woke up to about 15cm of new snow. Sadly I'm working all this week, so will have to settle with late afternoon park sessions or hikes around the local hills. Still plenty of snow up there though, so lots of fun.

After a grim day on Friday, temperatures up in the low teens in Sapporo, the weekend at Niseko was alot better than expected. It was a bonus weekend anyway, I had won two nights accomodation in Hanazono on a SnowJapan competition, so I 'treated' Mrs MagSeven to a hotel stay! Saturday was ok, still fairly warm, but it cooled as the day went on. Wet sleet was falling, but it was definitely snow by late avo.

Depressing ride up the chair at Hanazono
IMG_1750

View up from the base at Hanazono
IMG_1749

Sunday was alot better. Around 10/15cm snow had fallen overnight and there was the odd snow flurry through the day inbetween nice bursts of sunshine. The snow started to get a little slushy as the day went on, but the morning was great.

Strawberry Fields in Hanazono was boot deep and deserted. Still could occasionally feel the crust underneath the fresh snow, but alot of fun.
IMG_1754

By late morning the snow got a little heavy so I changed into park mode, (you know, sag pants round knees, goggles under helmet, headphones on, 80cm poles) and lapped the Hanazono park. It was in great shape and despite the rapidly changing snow conditions, the park crew kept salting and tweeking the jumps through the afternoon. And, like everywhere in resort, it was empty!
IMG_1757

Next couple of weekends I'm planning to head up to Taisetsuzan for some adventures.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spring is definitely here. Although you wouldn't have known it last weekend. It snowed heavily in this area, Teine was amazing, very deep snow and absolutely deserted! Didn't take many pics as was riding solo.

If at Sapporo Teine, go through here!

photo

Then through this week it's warmed up, with some rain. But this weekend the weather was incredible. Wall to wall sunshine. I was up in Taisetsuzan, the large range of mountains in the middle of the island. Perfect spring touring conditions. Saturday was Kurodake

View up to Kurodake from road up through the Sounkyo gorge
IMG_1807

On the hike up to the summit
IMG_1815

At the summit. Incredible views, all the way to Lake Akan in the East and over to Shokanbetsu in the West.
IMG_1819

First line off the summit. We were the first two down. Nice soft snow, great conditions for mid April.
IMG_1821

Back up to the top again and another line back to the chairlift.
IMG_0693

Small air off a cornice
Screen Shot 2012-04-15 at 17.55.02

Then today was up to Asahidake, the tallest mountain on the island. Another beautiful day, though a little warmer, so the snow was heavier. But still alot of fun, and my 100th day for this season.

We hiked to the top and skied some lines over the back. On the way up.
IMG_1833

My buddy Tim over the back of the summit. The only other tracks are mine.
IMG_0702

Tim heading back round to the summit
IMG_0711

Then skiing a line back into the crater
IMG_0725

Forecast is for more spring weather, nice and warm with lots of sunshine. There's still tons of snow, so will continue to get get as much skiing as we can!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Congrats on the ton
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice pics and congrats on a hundred days. Looks like there's cover for a fair bit more Spring skiing yet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Top to bottom coverage in the Niseko Resort Area, Rusutsu and Kiroro.

No patches yet.

Great spring piste skiing on offer for 3-4 hrs a day.

Off piste is setting up very nicely, although there are many full depth glide cracks in the steeper aspects.

Yotei is looking primo.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No new snow this week. Rain fell on Wednesday and Thursday. A beautiful day today though (Saturday). I went up to Nakayama Touge which has re opened for the spring season. Its like a summer glacier up there, with racers doing their thing bashing the gates, a couple of mogul lines, and a decent park setup on the other side. The snow is as you'd expect, firm to start with, then quickly getting slushy as the sun hits it. A very deep base up there though, so the lifts should keep turning into May.

Few pics. The terrain park, which was in great shape. Kicker line of 3 big hits, smaller stuff to the side, plus a load of jibs up top.
Untitled

The main piste with gates set out for race training
Untitled

View over to Mt Yotei, looking awesome in the sunshine
Untitled

Hopefully the weather should be decent tomorrow. Planning a tour up to Shokanbetsudake on the west coast.
snow report
Sweet. Look forward to reading about your tour.
snow report
Well the winter has kind of come to an end now. The weather late last month and the first week of May has been shocking. Warm, windy, rainy. I only just got back to Hokkaido yesterday after a week in South Korea (incidentally, amazing country to visit, would thoroughly recommend it) and was hoping to squeeze a final day in somewhere today. Not to be though unfortunately, very windy today so most places closed. And thats it for the season for lift served skiing.

May get a day or two of hiking somewhere this month, but the snow really has been melting quickly.

Just attached a couple of pics of the mountains in the north eastern corner of S Korea. Stunning scenery, and the odd patch of snow up there too.

IMG_2929

IMG_2987

Hope to see some more Snowheads heading out here to Hokkaido next winter!
ski holidays
Sweet pics.

If memory serves, the S Korean resorts don't get that much natural snowfall.

Is the area you visited different?
ski holidays
Yeah Mike that's what I've heard too. They get bitterly cold winters but not much natural snow. I guess they have the cold winds from northern China and Russia, but no Sea of Japan to pick up any snow. A friend snowboards in Korea and said it was mainly man made ice in the resorts.

These mountains were only around 1,500m and it was very warm up there when we visited, so they must have received a fair amount of snowfall over the winter.
snow conditions
Great. Thanks.

Name of the mountain range please?
latest report
They're part of the Taebaek range. This particular area was in the Seoraksan national park, close to the east coast and N. Korean border.
latest report
Wow this pics are pretty cool how long is the season there?
latest report
MagSeven wrote:
They're part of the Taebaek range. This particular area was in the Seoraksan national park, close to the east coast and N. Korean border.

Many thanks.
latest report
KSNOWZ wrote:
Wow this pics are pretty cool how long is the season there?

The Niseko Resort Area opens the last weekend in November and closes the first weekend in May - the Golden Week Holiday in Japan.

Ski areas like Kurodake and Sapporo Kokusai may open earlier than Niseko, and Kiroro closes around the same time as Niseko - often with better snow coverage.
latest report
Some of Hokkaido's hillsides are white again. Not with snow unfortunately, but the cherry blossoms are looking pretty nice now that the sun has finally come out.

Untitled

Might get a ski up north this weekend... watch this space.
ski holidays
Look forward to seeing and reading.
snow conditions
Believe it or not, we had more snow in Hokkaido last night and this morning. In some places up north up to around 10cm. I headed up to Aizankei, in the Taisetsuzan range this morning, where some snow had fallen, but had been promtly blown away by a brutal wind.

The road in to Aizankei Onsen only opened last weekend, but unfortunately the terrible weather over Golden Week had taken its toll on the snow in that area. This was definitely the last turns for this winter. We set off to climb Toma-dake, and also loop around to Pippu-dake, bagging two of the higher peaks in the range. But as soon as we got above the treeline, it was obvious we were unlikely to even get one summit. The wind was savage, and the snow crap. We struggled up to about 1700m (300m below the summit approx) and called it.

In the fairly sheltered carpark around 7am
IMG_0742

Starting up the trail, patchy snow cover
IMG_0743

My friend Tim putting on a brave face once we got above the forest
IMG_0744

Picking our way up through the bushes, trying to get some shelter from the wind
IMG_0747

Decided it really wasn't worth it!
IMG_0746

Our route
IMG_1965

And my final total, 102 days for 2011/12
IMG_1966

Not the best day to end on, but a great season lasting almost a full 6 months. Bring on winter 2012/13 in Hokkaido!
snow report
Also, some news I heard today, Snowcruise Onze, a small resort between Otaru and Sapporo has closed for good. They have gone out of business.

The name was based on Onze, for 11, as they always used to open for the season on 11th Nov at 11:00.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
August 1st, hello again from a hot and humid Hokkaido! Temps in the low/mid 30s. Just read back through this thread enjoying the memories from last winter. Starting to get a bit excited as we can expect the first snow to fall on the higher mountains late next month! Will fire up another thread for 2012/13 then.

Have taken a few photos on various hikes to show summer and winter if anyone's interested. Bring on the snow!

snow conditions
Brilliant.

Already getting excited myself.

Hope to be making turns in November.
ski holidays
Please don't do this too me. Not sure my bank balance can take Hokkaido again this season.
snow conditions
Go on. You know you want to
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy