Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
A tiny sample of what we found today, our first day here!! Whats the word on the forecast???

http://youtube.com/v/iVEkAzMnx5o&feature=youtube_gdata_player
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, Puzzled private status on the vid, please can I see it Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
livetoski, Trying to but can't see to see it to edit on YouTube!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
livetoski, Should be fixed now??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, it's off the back of the peak, at the bottom of a wide open face. It's too low to traverse back to the Niseko lift system, but it's only a short walk/skin to get back to Annapuri. Or I think most of the guiding companies will take you there and have a bus drive you back.

Were you the other guy with Redeemers?!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thebongolian, looking at the pics I might actually be tempted to get an SLR. Every time in the past when I was about to buy a camera I thought if it is small there is a chance I might actually take it places with me, whilst with an SLR it's such an effort. Maybe when kids come.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, nice first turns, keep em coming, another three weeks for me Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ChrisWo, Not me, but someone in our group...

Grey & overcast this morning, looks like a dusting overnight, hopefully will start snowing soon!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, Looks like some snow blowing in this arvo. We're heading to Kiroro.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slow start today waiting for the snow to arrive, which it has just done!! Hoping for some night skiing freshies later on.....

Still finding some fresh tracks off the peak yesterday with a traverse out......
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like Honshu is getting pounded at the moment, resorts around Hakuba have been getting alot of snow for the past week. Looks like we should get a bit of snow over the next few days, but not anything major unfortunately.

We haven't had any significant snow this week in central Hokkaido, and it's been super cold. My kerosene bill will be a big one this month, and we're draining the pipes when we're out to stop them from freezing. I tried the chuck a jug of boiling water in the air trick the other night, and sure enough, it froze immediately into a big white cloud!

Heading down to Niseko for Saturday and Sunday. I'll probably bring my park skis! Seems like lots of Snowheads are around at the moment, may see some of you down there!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A little bit of video from our first couple of days. Been snowing for most of the today, light to moderate. Currently very windy, and heavier snow forecast Friday or Saturday.

http://vimeo.com/36063058
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, Cool Nice vid !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, nice!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yesterday four brits, a Kiwi, an Aussie and a Japanese

Went to a small resort about 45 minutes from Niseko

There they found deep powder

Spectacular views

Things to jump off

And hardly anyone else

Today in Rusutsu however sucked. Luckily it seems to be snowing in Niseko at the moment.
snow conditions
thebongolian wrote:
Luckily it seems to be snowing in Niseko at the moment.

Careful what you post, that's killed the snow off!! We went out for a few night turns in niseko, probably boot deep a few hours ago but a very strong wind forming drifts even at top of ace quad #2
snow report
kitenski wrote:
thebongolian wrote:
Luckily it seems to be snowing in Niseko at the moment.

Careful what you post, that's killed the snow off!! We went out for a few night turns in niseko, probably boot deep a few hours ago but a very strong wind forming drifts even at top of ace quad #2

From the window I'm looking out of it seems to be snowing nicely still... Btw for those on the Niseko hill today, were the upper lifts open?
latest report
thebongolian, Very light snow compared to past few hours in lower hirafu. Upper lifts were shut when we went up around 3ish......website said temporarily suspended around 2pm, suspect it was too windy.
snow report
More snowfall, avalanches, frigid temps and deaths in northern Japan.
latest report
It's been dumping here all night as far as I can tell and still going strong this morning.....
ski holidays
kitenski, not sure it's been dumping all night...when Niseko gets its groove on overnight you can't get out if your door in the morning wink It's definitely snowing hard now though...here's hoping they open some gates today!
snow conditions
Peak gates closed today, but they reckon 40cm of snow in the last 24 hours...so should still be a fun day! Have a safe one...
snow conditions
Snow has eased off now, but the Japan Meteo forecast is for snowfall all day today and tomorrow. Niseko Avy forecast says 40cm of fresh in Hirafu in the last 24 hours. Gates 2 and 3 probably closed, but other hopefully will open Happy
ski holidays
ChrisWo, beat me to it!
ski holidays
Spent the whole day in Mizuno No Sawa from 10 until 2. Great conditions and fresh lines each and every run. Snowing no,w so hopefully another good day tomorrow!! Smile
latest report
Had an excellent day, the morning especially was great with fresh tracks in great snow. Travelled around a bit, with the best snow on the Hirafu side of the hill although found some nice stuff around Annupuri as well. Great to bump in to thebongolian and ChrisWo, and even got to ride in the Lucky Golden Gondola Happy Here's a quick clip of today's fun.

http://vimeo.com/36130368
ski holidays
Oh..and sitting opposite Scott Gaffney having drinks at Black Diamond Lodge. Nice!! Smile
ski holidays
Touchguru, I hope you went for a pro call-out!

Good day today - powder everywhere, although higher up it was quite firm and well wind-packed but still fun skiing. The lower runs were in great condition when we skied them early on (when rob@rar and co were doing the same thing!), but got tracked out pretty quick. We went on to drop down Higashi-one ridge a couple of times (still plenty of lines left there, and on the north face), before finishing off with a trip to the Hanazone fire-breaks (not so good) and a slightly random explore along the waterfall ridge (untracked, but required a lot of walking).

Sadly my last day on the mountain today - I imagine tomorrow will be awesome if they open the peak gates. Hope everyone who's in resort has an excellent time snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A small clip all done on the iPad from last night.......

http://youtube.com/v/vDABzsl8tgc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
ski holidays
rob@rar, lucky indeed, great fun vid, was it shot whilst you were in annupuri ??? i am staying there soon and am trying to get a feel for the area Toofy Grin
snow report
Bnen snowing for about 3 days now, and this morning looks like there's a bit more fresh than we had yesterday (which was 40cm apparently). Not too much wind in the village and super-light snow so today should be the best day of our trip so far. Unbounded joy.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
... so today should be the best day of our trip so far. Unbounded joy.

It was, and the joy was indeed unbounded. Started off with a place in the Peak Gate Derby at 9.30am, with a windy boot pack to the top. Wind was a bit blustery (Ed: massive understatement), but it was worth it as there was a lot of snow off the peak. Visibility was limited, but improved a lot of the trees. That set the tone for the day, with fresh tracks, the odd face shot and lots of laughs. Great to chat to thebongolian over a coffee at Hanazono, who is out here for the season. Wildly jealous!

Some photos from today, with lots more on my Facebook album.

Me

Me

Kitenski

Touchguru

CSki
latest report
And it's still snowing. And forecast to keep going for the next four days. Insane!
snow conditions
Holy crap the nighta is good tonight!
snow report
Little bit of Photoshop jiggery pokery shows the anatomy of a turn:

ski holidays
Today is gonna be deep...
ski holidays
ChrisWo wrote:
Touchguru, I hope you went for a pro call-out!

I didn't as he was too close and I was talking to him already......but I did call out Sean Pettit this morning! Smile
snow conditions
Great day's skiing. A few runs through the trees under the Hirafu gondola and next to Konyaku then over to Mizuno no Sawa where it was good to bump rob@rar, kitenski, touch guru and cski who all seemed to be enjoying themselves. Caught the bus back from Higashiyama at about 2 then had a cheeky ski down the slope next to Grandpapa Lodge in the lower village. Now conserving energy for a night ski which will be awesome if the snow keeps coming down like this.

Joey in Mizuno no Sawa

Me in Mizuno no Sawa

Me in the lower village
snow report
Deep today!!

Some video from yesterday when we hiked the peak in a very strong wind, but the ski down was in lovely sheltered deep snow!!

http://youtube.com/v/sZaL5bk4QaY
ski holidays
Little bit more of yesterday's snow. We hiked to the peak and got some seriously deep snow at the top.

http://vimeo.com/36220598
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy