Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads Travel Insurance...when?

Poster: A snowHead
Boredsurfing, early retirement, eh? I highly recommend it! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pedantica, we tend to use the travel insurance which limits us to something like 17 days for trips to the US so when we do take out annual cover we only do it for Europe, that helps a bit. But if you take out as you say
Quote:

an annual policy and tops up with a trip one.

wouldn't you have to break the long trip for the shorter one to take effect? So we could return on a cheapie flight to UK one day, and then go back the next, but we could equally get by the 45 day limit by doing that. When making a claim the insurance companies usually want to see evidence of your travel details so they know when you started the trip - otherwise we could just tell porky pies and say we only got there last week.

All info on this, and corrections please, very welcome!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What are the thoughts on Snowcard?

4 weeks cover on yearly policy and unguided off-piste seems to be covered, provided you follow their advice on avalanche warning level.

Friend had to use them while winter mountaineering, but never heard any experience of claims from skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just had a quick look at the snowheads cover (and dogtag). I think the dogtag worked out slightly cheaper for me, but not in a rush to renew just yet so I'll wait for confirmation that the snowheads pricing is all working properly before I do a proper comparison. Seems pretty tricky to compare, though, given the different activity packs and levels of cover...

I did enjoy the list of activities covered though...who'd have thought that you'd need to pay extra for walking during winter. And what the hell are "Kloofing", "Blowcarting" and "River Bugging"?!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi guys,

If it doesn't impinge on kick-backs to Snowheads, I think for those going on shorter trips, the RIAS cover will be pretty good/better than dogtag; certainly it was for my 3 day trip on PSB11. I used to work for them many, many years ago, and the short 3-5 day trip costs are normally crazy cheap. Dogtag appears to do a minimum of 10 days? :s

You have to be under 65 for Winter Sports cover.

The ski cover includes lost lift pass, piste closures after 30 November in northern hemisphere, etc, and you have the option of a variable excess and very short periods of cover which might save you some money (if you want up to £200 excess which some might not want; Dogtag appear to be £50/£100 depending on what is being considered). Heli-ski-ing is not covered by RIAS, but I saw was covered by Dogtag.

https://travel.rias.co.uk/Content/Documents/Policy%20Summary.pdf for the summary information
https://travel.rias.co.uk/Content/Documents/Policy%20Wording.pdf for the full wording

U/W are: Europ Assistance Holding Irish Branch / arranged and administered by Europ Assistance Holdings Limited

Exclusions are similar to Dogtag/BASI/Snowsport underwriters : You are not covered when "Skiing off-piste outside recognised and authorised areas". I can't see a definition of recognised or authorised anywhere though, so going wildly away from the main routes carries risk. It also says "If You are undertaking a pursuit or activity which is not listed in this policy or are in any doubt as to whether cover will apply, please call Our Travel Helpline on 0845 234 0008." so there's no reason why - should your route take you miles from anywhere - you couldn't call them half way up the mountain to get some clarification Very Happy snowHead It appears though that on the whole, off-piste is fine so long as you're "sensible"... but like all insurance companies ; if they see an "unreasonable" risk being taken, subjectively, you're likely to have a fight on your hands...

Also exluded (and likely from the above companies as well I imagine ; it's fairly typical ; like with car insurance) : "17. Participation in any organised competition involving any sport or Winter Sports" so organised races carry extra risk / likelihood of being excluded (should they learn you were racing at the time... Blush ) oh and "19. You fighting except in self-defence" NehNeh

26th - 29th Nov : £22 with £200 excess
26th - 29th Nov : £25 with £40 excess (err yes please!)
Both include personal effects of £1500 ; Single article or pair or set of articles £250. Perhaps too low for some of you. Articles can be added but I think you'd have to call. You only get £500 for ski equipment too, within the winter cover bit. Again call for more options I reckon.

Oh - PS : I think it's fair to add that RIAS is a very low-risk insurer so they have a very low tolerance (i.e. high costs added) for pre-existing medical conditions. You may need to go through many hoops/premiums to work all those out/you may not be able to get a quote online.

Hope this helps us part-timers at least a bit Very Happy !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just tried to go on the Snowhead travel insurance website, seems to be down. Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bump Snowheads insurance technically not available as links above take you to a site under construction. Any chance of this materialising before December or do I need to look for best of a bad lot elsewhere?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, I had been told the product was ready but I became aware that there were a few issues, some of which are mentioned in the topic above, that had not been addressed. Mostly it's just detail but as luck would have it, two people, key in the practicalities of fixing them are now on honeymoon [separately] so we figured it better to take it of line in the meantime.

The intention is to have it ready before the PSB... we shall see!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JaMMi wrote:

Also exluded (and likely from the above companies as well I imagine ; it's fairly typical ; like with car insurance) : "17. Participation in any organised competition involving any sport or Winter Sports" so organised races carry extra risk / likelihood of being excluded

The BASI members insurance and the SSE Insurance (assuming you select the "Performer" option) explicitly do cover racing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW wrote:
JaMMi wrote:

Also exluded (and likely from the above companies as well I imagine ; it's fairly typical ; like with car insurance) : "17. Participation in any organised competition involving any sport or Winter Sports" so organised races carry extra risk / likelihood of being excluded

The BASI members insurance and the SSE Insurance (assuming you select the "Performer" option) explicitly do cover racing.

Nice! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
admin, I had quite a helpful e mail yesterday from someone called Jeff who must have picked up an e mail I sent with some queries from the website back on 21 OOctber. He also said "The official launch of the snowHeads Snowsport Travel Insurance site will not be for a couple of weeks yet."
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BUMP

I realise dadmin's mind might be on more snowy matters but I hope that "Jeff" is rather more accurate with his estimate of official launch dates then snowheads' official awards organiser.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, I agree. Insurance is too important. I'll be taking a raincheck this year and will go with a mainstream provider.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, I sent a chasing e mail to Jeff yesterday after reading your comment - but time marches on and I can see previous supplier getting our business again this year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This doesn't bode well for the speedy processing of claims. At the very least there should have been an explanation for the unexpected and lengthy silence. (My understanding is that the delay is outside admin's control, btw.)
snow conditions
Quote:

I'll be taking a raincheck this year

you'll be lucky if you get a rain cheque....
snow report
Bump - as we're now a comfortable number of days into December is there any chance of this materialising this week?

I really don't want to have to take my business into the hands of the SKGB and spend a lifetime being spammed with Freshtracks holidays but the speed of launch isn't making snowheads much of a viable product.
snow conditions
Crumbs, you still waiting? I established in October that was a huge delay and went elsewhere.
All credit to Admin for trying but insurance isn't straightforward, as this thread proves everyone seems to want something tailored to their special needs.
snow report
Quote:

I really don't want to have to take my business into the hands of the SKGB and spend a lifetime being spammed with Freshtracks holidays

fatbob, have a look at Snowcard - so far, they're the best of the ones I've looked at and cheaper than the Gas Board when you take the gigantic membership fee into account.
ski holidays
Being another refugee from the previously excellent and good value Direct Travel Insurance I have spent quite a lot of time trying to find reasonably priced alternatives. My personal requirements were complicated by wanting scuba diving insurance down to 50m (most policies only cover down to 30m) and (for my mad wife) paragliding cover. I have found a reasonable quote with Club Direct Travel Insurance that, as a bonus, also covers my 20 year old son (still - allegedly! - in full time education) for only £15 extra. This may not work for everyone, but if you do more than one 'hazardous' activity it may be worth a look.
latest report
Hells Bells, Pamski, Well 17 days is 10 more than I need Laughing so its D/T for me Toofy Grin

How would they know how many days you ski for anyway? even if you have a seasons pass it does not mean you nessesarily ski every day?
snow report
Chris Mason, have a look at snowcard - their "adventure extreme" includes scuba diving to more than 40m and off piste. You can exclude all the bits you don't want - in our case cancellation, delayed departure, personal possessions, etc. I'm really only interested in the medical stuff.
snow conditions
I looked at Snowcard and took off lots of the bits that pam w, suggests but not there yet. OH had a quote from someone or other last week underwritten by PH Hayman which seemed to be the favourite but today we are looking at American Express which appears to be coming in quite favourably - so if anyone has anything untoward to report about them then please do so asap!

youngeratheart, hope we may see you this year - we are coming and going a bit but will be back around 9th Jan and can come over your way.
ski holidays
Pamski, Do you know who the PH Hayman policy is?
snow conditions
fatbob, can't get a response from him as he is watching Masterchef - other than to say it was a German company. may be able to say later!
ski holidays
Pamski, That would be fun, I have a new mobile number so I'll email or pm you nearer the time. hope you and D are well.

ps I'm bringing my scissors and a small colour range, had a great time styling the Chalet staff last time, I earned a morning ski on my last day, oh and a few beers! Fair exchange I reckon. Laughing
snow report
Is the mass exodus from Direct Travel just because of the restriction of days in the annual policy or because of cover changes too? I've always just gone week-week with them.
snow report
andytb, mainly the number of days
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

OH had a quote from someone or other last week underwritten by PH Hayman which seemed to be the favourite but today we are looking at American Express which appears to be coming in quite favourably - so if anyone has anything untoward to report about them then please do so asap!

P J Hayman do the SCGB policies - but you can also insure direct with them, which we did for a few years. Their "adventure" series is quite good. With AMEX it depends what you want. We had them for the last two years but have now dropped them because buried in the small print they have removed off piste cover AND restricted skiing days during the year. I was alerted to this by a post on SHs, having failed to read thoroughly the pages and pages of small print they sent with my renewal form. Embarassed
ski holidays
andytb, wot holidayloverxx said. If it hadn't been for the reduction of days we'd have continued with Direct Travel. Also a bit more expensive than previously. Mine runs out on 10 Dec - ought to start looking round....
snow report
youngeratheart, you are asked (as hubby has claimed) by DT for proof of travel to and from resort. Dates of travel, and accommodation booked within the resort are all information that would give some indication of how long your holiday lasted.We had season passes, but were only refunded for the number of days we were booked to be in the resort. I asked for them to be returned in case we could use them later in the season. If you take a couple of trips, but don't claim anything, I suppose you could get away with it, but would you really want to risk your claim being rejected.
I've got until mid-March to renew ours, it is still the original policy, so will get most of our trips out of it. I may just go for a single trip option for the remaining days, so I can take more time over the renewal.
latest report
Has anyone really looked into the natural catastrophy cover by direct travel? I think it covers you for ash clouds and the like but my comprehension of policy details is rubbish, would you get it? it will cost an extra tenner for a weeks cover.

Hells Bells, I know but these policies must encourage people to do this, If so many people are likely to leave because of it perhaps they might re-think for next year if enough people can be bothered to tell them. Sadly it will never worry me as I am a 7 days a year skiier. However we looked at an annual policy as we have done before, and although we "might" go to Le Mans next year ther was very little saving. I shall just do single trip this time.
ski holidays
My Direct Travel policy runs out before Christmas and I need to sort something out for a trip in January. I might just go for a 1 week policy this time, it's just me, and sort an annual out for Easter and Summer with my daughter.
latest report
pam w, thanks pam w, - bit of muttering from OH in his study having been asked to go and look more closely - it certainly is buried - I think he said its something like 32 days in each trip so no good.

fatbob, the answer is: P J Hayman - insurance is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities Plc, the UK Branch Office of Union Reiseversicherung AG

which at the moment seems to be the one we will go with. Our problem with SCGB policy is that now that one of us (and its not me) has gone over 65 this year its gone up a lot. Still have not heard any more from Jeff at the Snowheads insurance...

The pressure might be off a little for us as although we need to renew around the 15th December we will in fact be covered by the insurance provided by the bank as the first trip will only be for 15 days - as we are back in UK for six days.
snow report
pam w, Worth a look, but more expensive and no mention of paragliding, SFAICS. Also not sure about including 20 year old son. I probably have my age against me as well - 56+ Crying or Very sad Thanks anyway, an wil probably work for some.
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
andytb, wot holidayloverxx said. If it hadn't been for the reduction of days we'd have continued with Direct Travel. Also a bit more expensive than previously. Mine runs out on 10 Dec - ought to start looking round....

My annual Direct Travel one runs out mid-Jan, will be in same boat. Could I be lazy and ask that you report back what you find as the best replacement on here? wink
ski holidays
Hmm. Well, the Moniums are looking to sort out insurance prior to our trip this week - our annual policy runs out at the weekend.

Just clicked the Snowheads insurance link, and got this:

"The Snowheads Travel Insurance website is currently under construction.

The site will launch at the end of November 2011. "

Sad

So looks like Dogtag will be getting our business again; I got quotes from and read the small print of an awful lot of policies last year, and Dogtag was up there with the best for sports cover (Mr Monium, and to a far lesser extent, I, also scuba dive, so good cover is really important).

Mrs M.
latest report
Monium, +1
latest report
Chased up Jeff again about 11.30 last night and he must have replied about 20 minutes later saying:

"There appears to be a bit of a hold up in administration.

Please feel free to have a look at www.covered2go.co.uk and use the Promotion Code ‘goodtimes’ to obtain a discount for having had to wait … thank you for your patience!!

I think you’ll find the products and prices very appealing."

I am sure he won't mind me quoting the above including the Promotion Code - I don't know what we will be doing - leaving that to him that pays the bills, I just feed the info through.
ski holidays
Pamski, Thanks for the link - I was getting quite excited about this esp as they seemed to cover off piste without a guide, but under section B16 in their policy document:

SECTION B16 –WINTER SPORTS (cover only available upon Payment of additional Premium for the duration of your Single trip policy
and up to 24 days in any one policy year on your Annual Multi Trip policy)

24 days is not enough for us on an annual policy. Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy