Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads Travel Insurance...when?

Poster: A snowHead
There have been previous references to an Insurance product that Admin has negotiated for Snowheads.

Any word on when this will be on sale?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
www.dogtag.co.uk already on sale, don't forget snowHeads discount Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, are you on commission from dogtag, or something? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica, I wish! They have and continue to provide an excellent service for all my amd my familys insurance needs Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp, between now and the ski show.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, do you have much in the way of detail you can tell us now - or do we have to wait between now and the ski show to find out.
Just that ours need renewing some time in the not too distant future and we have been with SCGB who seem to give us the length of trip that we need.
And will bus pass holders be at a disadvantage!
but understand if its all under wraps still..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anymore news for the growing band of Direct Travel refugees? Even Apple aren't this secretive about product launches!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve Sparks wrote:
Anymore news for the growing band of Direct Travel refugees?

Still waiting as well, 'though as mines up in Jan, not too urgent, yet. It'll probably cost me a sub too.......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why is there a growing band of Direct Travel refugees - have they changed their policy or something? Ours is up for renewal in December (I think), and was expecting to carry on with DT.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ChrisWo, They now only permit 17 days winter sports in any year, which makes it pretty useless for regular skiers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ChrisWo wrote:
Why is there a growing band of Direct Travel refugees - have they changed their policy or something? .

Yes in March! They only cover 17 skiing days now. Mine is due in December. If there is a Snowheads one about then I'll consider it, if not I'll find an alternative elsewhere.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ChrisWo, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1869222&highlight=direct+travel#1869222

Quote:
Cover for winter sports activities are no longer covered as standard under any of our annual policies. Should you need cover for winter sports, you will need to choose from one of our specific winter sports annual policies. This will then entitle you to cover for up to a maximum of 17 days of winter sports in total within your policy period.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Steve Sparks - I'd just found this thread, which explains the problem.

What a pain in the @rse - they'd always seemed to offer good cover for a reasonable price. I guess I'll wait to see what the snowHead insurance is like and then pick from that and the three other options that work for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, cheers - if it hadn't taken me so long to work out how to make urls I'd have beaten your post Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ChrisWo,
Quote:

What a pain in the @rse - they'd always seemed to offer good cover for a reasonable price.
Indeed
latest report
Does Dogtag provide off piste cover like BMC, just been too lazy too look at the moment

Whats approx cost per season?
snow conditions
Any update on this?
How do you get Snowheads discount at DogTag?

Cheers!
snow conditions
chimpy wrote:
Any update on this?

Cheers!

+1 I'd like to know as well.

Cheers Very Happy
latest report
dogtag supposedly offer a discount for renewal, but when you log in you get the same price as everyone else, I'm losing faith in honesty, shiny and sleek adverts and nice shiny tags, but no real evidence of their quality as an insurer or rewarding repeat custom (and they're getting to ve expensive)
ski holidays
Quote:

Does Dogtag provide off piste cover like BMC

the short answer is "no", the long answer has been extensively debated on a thread somewhere, after several us failed, despite repeated phone calls, to get a remotely coherent definition of dogtag's off piste cover.
snow conditions
Feast wrote:
chimpy wrote:
Any update on this?

Cheers!

+1 I'd like to know as well.

Cheers Very Happy
You can click the ad. that appears to the right quite often or use this link

If you want a bigger discount, you should subscribe as a super/mega-snowHead though Wink
latest report
pam w, where did you get your insurance in the end, if you don't mind my asking?
snow report
re. snowHeads insurance: it is, technically available for sale now, however, we have not fully 'launched' it because there are a few anomalies in the policy wording and a couple of anomalies in the pricing of some high-end cover options that need sorting out. However, these issues will not affect the level of cover. Unfortunately, our key man in sorting these has been unwell for some time and we seem to be stuck in limbo for the moment.

What I would recommend is: check out the snowHeads insurance and check out DogTag with whom we have a long standing friendly relationship.
The cover is very similar between the two and so take whichever works out best - clearly if DogTag comes in £300 cheaper, you've found one of our anomalies and, while you're perfectly welcome to pay us that price, DogTag is probably you're better bet in that case.

latest report
admin,
Quote:

Unfortunately, our key man in sorting these has been unwell for some time

Sorry to hear that, please send best wishes.
snow conditions
Pedantica, American Express, their top "executive" or whatever product, which gave the long trip lengths, unlimited skiing etc. But we also tend to buy Carte Neige, as a "no argument get you off the mountain" addition, just to be on the safe side. It's cheap.

Dogtag drove me mad with "north america speak" - kept talking about "inbounds" etc so after several phone calls, none of them getting hold of anyone who knew anything about skiing in Europe, I gave up. they might have a great product, but in my case they just didn't market it very sensibly and despite several promises to speak to underwriters and get back to me, they never did.

I used to really like snowcard - we used them for years, but their trip limits are too short for leisured retirees. wink
snow report
pam w, thanks. I top up with Carte Neige too, even if it's not strictly necessary.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Does Dogtag provide off piste cover like BMC

the short answer is "no", the long answer has been extensively debated on a thread somewhere, after several us failed, despite repeated phone calls, to get a remotely coherent definition of dogtag's off piste cover.

This may be of interest to anyone who has ever queried the off piste cover provided by dog tag. I was searching for insurance for my season in whistler and became fed up with being either fobbed off or just ignored altogether when I asked about off piste cover. I asked the underwriter direct and had a detailed conversation with them. This surprised me somewhat as their normally very cautious about putting anything in writing. Anyway the underwriter’s of dogtag are Union Reiseversicherung AG. They stated that there off piste definition apply's to ALL policy’s U/W by them including insurance provided by Dogtag, BASI, Snowsports England and P J Haymen.

Off Piste is defined as

“skiing on areas in and around the resort but off the actual marked pistes,such as skiing/snowboarding on the hillside between marked pistes or skiing/snowboarding down slopes adjacent to marked runs, but always finishing up at the bottom of tows or lifts within the resort”

I was advised that I was not to Ski at all if any avalanche warning was in place. I queried this further asking what was meant by avalanche warning, e.g. beyond a certain risk level say 4 or 5 or did they mean just taking a common sense approach like reading the forecast taking into account avalanche history etc

The answer

"The intention is not to insure individuals who are skiing off piste in areas cordoned off due to safety concerns, as well as areas away from the resort boundaries and where piste rescue could be problematic, or the snow conditions could prove dangerous. This is applicable across all URV AG policies"

"With regards to avalanche warnings, we realise that there is always a level of warning, but again the intention is that we are not looking to insure circumstances where it is advised against skiing by the local authorities due to risk of avalanche"

I asked if inbounds off piste cover in north America was covered

The answer

In general if you are skiing in any areas, where is advised against skiing or is in essentially ‘unmanned areas’ and therefore it is considered you have put yourself at unnecessary risk then cover could be denied"

The U/W went on to say that its difficult for them to give firm guidelines as to what is considered off piste and what would and wouldn’t be covered. I took this to mean every case is considered individually but its quite concerning.

I hope this help's people when considering dogtag. Even though I was not completely happy with the cover for off piste I did buy a policy in the end as I'm covered for park riding and I appreciated that I could get an answer and know where I stand. I bought PJ Haymen not Dogtag

It really is very very concerning that insurance companys seem to have these secret definitions that you never see or hear of until they refuse your claim.
I really hope that this snowheads insurance is good with an option for a full seasons cover.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 22-10-11 5:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
OOO Ive just checked out snowheads insurance its U/W by Union Reiseversicherung AG too. So there off piste definaitions would apply???? Not so great Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Puzzled
Dogtag's off piste deffo, seems clear enough?
http://www.dogtag.co.uk/faqs.aspx#1332

Quote:

The generally accepted understanding of off-piste (or backcountry) skiing or boarding means 'going out of bounds', i.e. outside the resort boundary (if there is a boundary) or simply off the marked pistes if within the resort area.

If you are going out of bounds or outside marked areas of the resort, we recommend you do so with a fully qualified local guide because, in our view, you will then be taken to the best areas and you'll have a higher degree of comfort concerning your safety. However, we do not insist that you take a guide, you are insured for off-piste without a guide provided that you are not going alone or going against advice. And remember, even some areas within a resort may be considered out of bounds because they are hazardous. In most parts of North America, going out of bounds contravenes local law and you may, at best have your lift pass confiscated or worse, face arrest and have an overnight stay courtesy of the Sherriff's office. Normally there is a physical fence with warning signs so you shouldn't be in any doubt.

It is your responsibility to ensure that on any particular day you are aware of and obey local advice, information and instructions given by the resort authorities and that you obey any signs and information you encounter on the mountain - the source of this information will vary resort to resort and country to country and it is your responsibility to find out. If a section is marked 'closed' there will be a very good reason for it (e.g. high avalanche danger) and ignoring such signs or advice may invalidate your cover. You should be aware that under the terms of cover, needless self-exposure to peril except in an endeavour to save human life may invalidate your cover.
latest report
pam w, Remind us again. How many years ago was your conversation with DogTag? Laughing
snow report
Boredsurfing, I seem to recall that Pamw contacted Dogtag only within the last couple of seasons? They don't offer sufficient days of cover for her anyway and they didn't for me either when I looked in March.
Not due to renew ours until next March, but it's looking increasingly likely that I may be rejoining the Tea Club of Wimbledon.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, the definition looks pretty good to me, particularly in situations where the lines between what is considered 'safe' (say if you're trying to distinguish between avalanche warnings of 3 and 4) are, by their very nature, going to be wavy.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, It was several years ago and about her sons insurance ifirc, but I'm sure she will be along soon to clarify Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hells Bells,
Quote:

it's looking increasingly likely that I may be rejoining the Tea Club of Wimbledon.
That's the way my mind is currently going. I'm assuming there won't be an age limit problem for me - being as wot most members of the Tea Club are even more ancient than I am!
latest report
Hells Bells, we have used SCGB for the last however many years as they seem to offer the required number of days. I think we need to renew in the middle of December. I have e mailed the Snowheads Insurance people to ask if they can extend from 45 days, but imagine the answer will be no. Otherwise it would probably offer what we need.
Coincidentally we received in the post today a reminder from our Carte Neige type cover that we take to get us off the mountain that it needs renewing in mid December. Don't have it to hand right now but seemed to be from something called Diots. So OH starts banging on about us having double cover and do we really need it, but we always have this conversation each year, and we always buy it in the end as I don't want a lot of hassle if I have to be taken off the mountain, or have to stand there while he is taken off the mountain.
latest report
Pedantica, we are all getting there.... OH is just about to go out sailing/racing this afternoon with our 90 year old friend who still skis - I think he must self-insure - I will get D to check!
snow report
Pamski, 45 will be enough for me, but the 17 day limit now on new Direct Travel policies won't be.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Boredsurfing, I seem to recall that Pamw contacted Dogtag only within the last couple of seasons?

Just checked it was 2007/8 I reckon! Going by this post from 2009 wink
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52542#1250320

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 22-10-11 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hells Bells, I did spot, though, that Stoat of the Dead takes out an annual policy and tops up with a trip one. That could be the way forward.
ski holidays
Dogtag's fine for us now but I'll need full season insurance in a couple of years, who is best for that I wonder?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy