Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites off Piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Corvara in February and fancy trying Val Mesdi. Can any one advise how much walking is required and what else might be expected.

thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it took us about 30 - 40 min from Sass Pordoi lift. We had a guide for 2 days and did Marmolada, Val Mezdi, Val Lasties and I think Forcella. Really enjoyed it, guide was great but it was end of March but not the best snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks gde. Can you tell me if you used skins and if you think it could be done without?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When we went we didn't need skins. On a fresh(er) powder day, I'm sure they would come in useful.

30 mins sounds about right from memory.

as for "what else might be expected"...you don't say anything about your level, experience, and who would you go with. Standard precautions apply: don't go alone, don't go without avy equipment, understand potential dangers (avy, weather, route etc) if you're not with a guide and so on. Last time we were there two Germans tagged along behind our group, on piste skis. One of them fell rather spectacularly and ripped out his binding. He was fine but must have had a hell of a walk-out - hope he made it to his hotel in time for dinner.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Horizon says. Unless you really know what you are doing you need a guide and all the normal off-piste equipment. There is lots of other off-piste if you know where to go or have a guide.

Some photos (some taken by Horizon], mostly from that trip:

To ski Val Mesdi you go up the Pordoi cable car. Ski forward along the ridge a short way till you reach a cleft with a building in it, (photo taken just before cleft) which leads, to the right, to a steep ungroomed slope back down to the bottom of the lift, or an off-piste gully to the left, above which you will see this steep couloir and a saddle above it, behind which is the start of the Val Mesdi (so you can see where you have to get to from the start):

Go down into the cleft and climb up the other side (this is looking back)

Continue walking up, on foot or on skis, for about 10 minutes more till you are level with the saddle you saw on the left.. Now walk up to the left, then ski and pole on, below some small cliffs, till you reach the saddle:

Immediately over the saddle the Val Mesdi starts with its steepest part:

It is a long run, very spectacular but, after the first section, mostly quite easy:

Finally you come out at the opposite side of the Sella Ronda (pole and ski straight ahead through a few trees and you will find a piste and lifts).

(Edited)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 20-02-13 18:10; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Snowball, I will let you know how we get on
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's beautiful and well worth doing! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy