Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Second hand ski value?

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this is the right section for this but anyhow. I have pair of skis I'd like to sell (second hand) going to offer them up to my mates first then will try this forum, eBay etc.

I've never bought or sold 2nd hand so not sure at what I should be looking to advertise them for? They're 2009 Rossignol S6's (with funky graphics) About 6 weeks use, average condition i.e. some scratches to the tops but bases are in good nick. I guess what I'm getting at is that if they're not worth much on the second hand market, although they're surplus to requirements I'd rather keep hold of them than give them away.

Really good off piste ski and have some side cut so are decent all round ski too.

Any ideas what they would fetch?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wait a month or two then they will probably fetch silly money on ebay! I've sold kids skis on there for more after a couple of years use than I paid new!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I noticed this when having a look last season. Some real trash was going for silly money! Skis and road bikes seem to be 2 things that bring funny money I find.

No hurry so I can wait to advertise. When the best time around November at a guess?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grizwald, I shift all my kids old gear and other ski odds and sod's the weekend after the ski London ski show, that seems to be the moment for silly money Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, like Boredsurfing, I'm waiting till after the shows to list the current crop of grown out of kit, time the auctions to end Sunday early eve seems to up the price as well
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt, oh yes!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, davkt, will you two stop telling everyone the well known ebay secrets, how the hell am i going to find cheap gear rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh look I've made it over 1000 snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's nuts how much second hand skis go for, previously even new skis that were 'last season' were dumped at firesale prices but not anymore.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Given that with a bit of shopping around I can almost guarantee to be able to find a previous year's ski at 40-50% off MRP unless you've got something pretty rare and desirable then 50% is a reasonable starting point. Mugs on ebay of course may pay more but you do see some pretty unrealistically priced skis here occasionally - "I paid £500, hardly used so asking price £450". They've been drilled, bindings probably won't fit purchaser's boots so they're looking at a remount etc etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but this is a question I'm trying to answer at the moment.

I have a pair of 18-month old skis, used for three weeks in mountains and a fair few times at slopes in the UK. Very well looked after and in good condition.

I've found a good deal on some new skis that I'm tempted by, but it all rather depends on what I could get for the old ones. fatbob's advice above makes a lot of sense to me, and is what I was thinking (i.e. I'd be able to get about 50% of their retail price), but does anyone think this is wildly optimistic? It's a bad time of year to be assessing second-hand ski value, and I'd hang on to them until the autumn before selling, so would welcome other's views.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kieranm, Are you selling them flat or with bindings? For the ski alone 50% off full retail price when you bought them less 10% (of the reduced amount) for each year the model is out of date subject to say a fair minimum of £150 for a lightly used ski add £75 for the bindings if they are suitable for a wide range of boot sizes or aren't total plastic junk, possibly more if they are super high end metal. Put it this way I'd be unlikely to pay more than £250 for a previously owned pair of skis unless it was real exotica. And if its a mainstream brand sell late October/early November on eBay.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Going to sell mine when the season starts too. 2009 vintage Rossignol Attraxion VI. Happy to get whatever I can for them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Selling with bindings (Atomic XTO10) which are fully adjustable rental-market style bindings. They're Atomic Vario Scandium skis (2012): nothing special but a very good "intermediate" ski that was I think popular in the rental market and got a few awards for both performance and value. I'll go with your £150 as a figure for budgeting, thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, +1
snow report
I notice a pair of V old GS skis in cash converter on my way to work each day. they must be around 95-96 and Cash converters want £100 for them!

I keep thinking they must really not have a clue about ski value and have been tempted to get them to price up my old Salomons. If theyd give me £50 for them Id jump on ebay and buy all the old stuff which you can get pretty much free and then flog them on to Cash Converters.
snow report
medlington wrote:
I notice a pair of V old GS skis in cash converter on my way to work each day. they must be around 95-96 and Cash converters want £100 for them!

I keep thinking they must really not have a clue about ski value and have been tempted to get them to price up my old Salomons. If theyd give me £50 for them Id jump on ebay and buy all the old stuff which you can get pretty much free and then flog them on to Cash Converters.

I wonder if they do pay around that price bracket. I've got a few pairs of old skis I could do with shifting, and as you say they can be had for next to nothing on ebay. Pretty sure they'd catch on quick enough though! Also, do skis hold any 'retro' value? I've got a pair of absolutely mint K2's (1992, I think) with matching ski poles that haven't got a mark on them, I'd be interested to see if they were worth anything.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy