Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

El Tarter

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

New to Snowheads so treat me gently! Been skiing once before and (wouldn't u know it) now hooked. Keep looking up snow records, even in August! Went to Les Carroz in Jan 05, brilliant time, brilliant instruction, even managed to get down a red slope by the end.

Anyway, now booked up for March 2006 to go to El Tarter in Andorra, staying at Chalet Xantal. Have done extensive research on Snowheads and elsewhere but can find no mention of this chalet - is it unmentionably bad or something? Has anyone been there? Really looking to find out how near it is to the slopes and what I can expect, particularly since only been once before (with experienced friends in Carroz) and that was independent. This time going with Crystal, seen some mixed reviews about Crystal so will just wait and see but hoping that once we get out on the runs that won't really matter.

I'm going with my girlfriend who is on the same level as me and two friends who've never been before. I picked Soldeu/El Tarter because of good reviews about the ski school there. Have however got worries about snow in March...I know nothing's guaranteed but is early March ok for snow there? Would really appreciate any comfort any of you could offer.

PS I will shamelessly recommend Les Carroz to anyone and everyone...I'm going back myself again in January!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
march hould be fine, the ski school contracts teachers till late april and there's been skiing in june

i seem to recall that xantal was renamed hence no mention on't t'interweb
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowshine, welcome to snowHeads! The chalet Xantal is very close to the lifts at El Tarter. Haven't stayed there, but in a Panorama chalet further up the hill. It's a lovely building right in the centre of the village. I've some photos somewhere - I'll pull them out and mail them to you if you want. PM me your e-mail address.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanx for the info, much appreciated. March next year can't come soon enough...

Anyone any idea what Xantal used to be called before name change?

Also, anyone go to Soldeu/El Tarter season just gone? How was skibus service? Seen a few mixed reviews about it but most of them are of season before or older.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowshine, I think where you are staying is next to the lifts in El-Tarter, so you shouldn't really have any need to use the ski bus. If you want to get to Soldeu, hop on a lift and ski there! It should only take you about 20 mins wink .

El-Tarter is a very quiet resort, so if you are looking for some evening fun you will need to get a taxi to Soldeu.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowshine, ditto everyone else's comments.

As a learner, you'll love Soldeu/El Tarter, the slopes are nice and wide with plentiful greens/blues, ski school is good, the villages are sensibly laid out, and cheap booze is plentiful. For practical purposes El Tarter is just a outlying dormatory suburb of Soldeu - not much going on in El Tarter except for sleeping. Fairly easy walk from the pubs in Soldeu to El Tarter, during the day you just take the El Tarter lift which feeds directly into the Soldeu pistes.

Ski bus is really only used if you're staying (much) further down the road in, say, Canillo.

Re: March: snow conditions = a mixed bag, depends on the year/resort/existing snowcover. I was sking Soldeu about 4yrs ago at March, effectively as a 2nd weeker. Snow at that time of year was reputedly not so great (a bit sludgy) but I wasn't good enough to really notice. Put it this way: I've since had worse March snow at other Alpine resorts.

As for Crystal....er hem. Yes. Well. "mixed" is about right. If you have a good time with any budget TO, consider yourself very very lucky. If you have a less than good time with a budget TO, consider it normal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowshine, One last point, It's a long transfer to El-tarter so go to the toilet before you leave the airport! The last time I went, about 20 coaches all stopped half way at a tiny run down motorway cafe with about 2 toilets!!! More people just opted to take a leak in the hedge rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowshine, You will have a fantastic time....I learnt to ski in Soldeu in March and snow conditions were just fine...went back several times! It's a few years since we were there but my recollection of the bus service is that it was just fine, regular service, easy to use and it ran well into the evenings for nights out in Soldeu (we were based in Canillo). There's a lovely sports centre down in Canillo with a massive pool that was hardly used when we were there. I will not comment on Crystal....the bad words would offend other snowHead !

Paul Holland, Don't know when you went but they've opened a tunnel a couple of years ago which has made the transfer up to resort much shorter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow, really grateful to all of you for the help, feel much better about going now (I guess I'll see about Crystal rolling eyes )!

Great to hear snow record seems good, I was fairly sure it would be but reassurance always helps, particularly as one of my group (who is a ski virgin) has grave doubts that snow could be found anywhere in March!

Had heard about the long transfer times from Toulouse so was all ready for that, but addition of tunnel sounds good.

Having read other reports, even hoping to make a black ("reddish") run by the end of hols! Madeye-Smiley Here's hoping...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowshine, we've travelled a few times with Crystal and haven't had any probs. We only use them to actually get there, transfers etc, and perhaps we've been lucky. We're not ones to get involved in the Welcome meetings and 'organised' stuff. We did have a rep in Austria last year that we didn't manage to see at all but that's no problem Very Happy One thing to watch out for is if you buy your ski pass etc on the transfer bus by credit card. The costs will be in the local currency but they will charge your credit card in sterling, using their own exchange rate Shocked Pay in cash if you can or do it yourself.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
homphomp, snowshine, I think the transfer time is now about 3 to 3.5 hours, down from about 4.5 hours the first time I went.... but it is of course dependant on conditions.

My problem is I always have one too many gin and tonics Twisted Evil on the plane and consequently get desparate about an hour into the journey Smile

Don't worry too much about anything. the towns of El-tarter and Soldeu are both so small you won't have any trouble finding your way around.
My first experience of Ski=ing was in El-Tarter and now six years on I'm hooked snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cathy Coins, pre-booked my lift pass with Crystal, hopefully no problems there. Thanks for the Crystal info, I agree - with any tour operator the best idea is simply to use them to get there, etc, and then ignore the rest and enjoy the resort.

Paul Holland, thanks, I know you're right of course and it helps me to get excited about it earlier by reading all your comments Shock

One last thing - been thinking about going to Caldea spa and doing the dog sledding (personally I'd rather ski the whole time snowHead but others in my group are interested). Anyone tried these, are they worth it? I imagine the pay through the nose for both and, if we do try them, will probably do them independently of Crystal anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowshine, Caldea is definitely worth it. We have done it a few times now.

Paul Holland, are you off to Soldeu again this season ? We are booked for 5 February 06 Sport Hotel.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Caldea - just hop on a local bus and DIY it.

If you go early in the day you can swinm outside with tehsnow capped mountains around you then get back for evening dinner, and youll want a good few hours there, but if you go in an evening when its dark you can ski for the day and there is a light display every (half?) hour within the main pool area.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Paul Mason, I don't know yet. I have the week before that booked off work with the plan of going where the snow is good. I have a friend who visited Andorra this summer and is itching to visit in the winter, so that may sway my decision...

Am I right in thinking they now have now replaced the 4 man chair with a gondola up from El-Tarter?

snowshine, I can't comment on the Dogs or spa because I spent all my time Ski=ing snowHead
latest report
snowshine, Ive done Andorra 4 times now, the transfer never really gets any better- worse case scenario, 6th March last year there was soooo much snow it took us 9hrs to get to Arinsal, the people in Soldeu and Pas took even longer! So be prepared! I love Andorra, you'll have a great time there!
snow conditions
nbt, Michelle, Paul Holland, Manda, homphomp, Cathy Coins, T-Dub, Nadenoodlee, thank you all very much for the info, feel much better about the whole thing now (especially having put down the deposit). If I ever get the opportunity to meet any of you, there's a large drink on me coming your way.

From a beginner's point of view it is rather terrifying knowing that you'll only do one ski trip (in my case, two Very Happy ) and wondering if there's going to be any snow in March, not previously having known before now that it was possible to ski in March! Yes, that's how naive I am...

As to the transfer times, as long I get there I don't mind too much. 9 hours sounds a bit horrific but hopefully that's worst case scenario Shocked

Really looking forward to it all, will let you know how I get on when I get back (some time away of course). If any Snowheads are going to be in Soldeu/El Tarter at the beginning of March let me know.
latest report
First time we went was Feb 2001, the hotel you mention is about 10 minutes walk to the main ski lift (few queues) and we met a group that stayed their and had no problems - just avoid the Aparthotel further up the hill!
Soldeu/El Tarter is a great fun, under rated ski resort - very friendly. We took our two children their so they could learn to ski - great ski school (I remember a private lesson cost me abou £18 for up to 4 people).

I bought a pair of new skis, ski boots, bindings, poles and all the bags for under 300 euro - well worth the trip. In fact I'd go back again sometime, can't beat the prices once you are there.

I've had a poor experience with Crystal and now find it cheaper to book every thing myself online and never have the hassle we had with Crytsal two years ago.

While in El Tarter, try out the nearby spa town great spa for relaxation mid week. You'll love the 'fairy run' back to the main ski lift - its a green but well worth it for the view.

Still not found anywhere that does a cheaper hot chocolate and brandy mid day special!
ski holidays
snowshine, We've taken our own advice and are heading out in January...any other snowHead out third week in January we'll see you there! It's a few years since we were there and we're looking forward to skiing over on the Pas side...last time we just skied to the bottom of the lift and looked longingly at the slopes cos they hadn't got the passes sorted out. Sad
snow report
Stayed in Soldeu Feb half-terms of 2003 and 2004 - what a great place, very relaxed, slopes not too crowded considering. Snow very reliable because of huge investment in snow cannon.

Would happily go back there again except currently obliged to ski at either Easter or Christmas and probably not reliable enough cover then.

Paul Mason - Sport Hotel and Sport Hotel Village are the best in Soldeu I think.

Sorry Snowshine, don't know about Xantal.

Crystal coaches stop at ?Ax les Thermes on the way up. We went with them both times (price) but best ignored. Rather irritatingly they insisted on you attending their "Welcome" meeting to pick up pre-purchased lift passes and.......oh no, I'd better not go on as it will only get my blood pressure up. I'm afraid that WYPFIWYG applies (What you pay for is what you get).
ski holidays
My very first ski holiday was to Soldeu. I had a fantastic time. The ski school is really good. We took an "afternoon off" and went to the capital (Andorra La Vella) which is worth a visit.

You will absolutely love Andorra, I hope to go back sometime.
ski holidays
Nick L is right the sport hotels are great.
we've been twice and booked for next year already
if you get chance try the snow-mobile / skidoos snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks to all of you for your advice and reports, this forum is the next best thing to being there!

Feel much better for knowing Xantal at least exists and seems to be fine, thanks for that highlandrob. As for Crystal, they sound light a nightmare. Too late now to do anything about it unfortunately but I'll remember next time. Welcome meetings, ugh Mad !

Will be checking out the green 'fairy run' too since we've got beginners in our group. The ski school seems to have a very good reputation, haven't heard or seen one bad report so far so very confident we'll get on great. Will also be trying the Caldea spa for half a day (other half skiing of course snowHead ).

homphomp, will you let us know how you get on after you come back in January?
snow report
snowshine wrote:
Thanks to all of you for your advice and reports, this forum is the next best thing to being there!

hope you have a great time
the ski school is very good
snow conditions
There is one shop you MUST try out, can't remember what it was called, it's about 500 metres outside El Tarter as you go down the hill on the main road - it has an amazing collection of 'stuff' if you are looking for those little prezzies.

One big bit of advice - depending on where you stay - there is a ski locker building at the foot of the main chair lift well worth it if you want to save lugging your skis and boots around to and from the hotel, being Andorra its cheap as chips. You will find it on the right before you climb the stairs up to the lift - looks like an information hut - just follow the main road up to the lift, pass all the shops and its just round the corner on the right - no more than 20 paces from the lift stairs.
snow report
There is a similar arrangement in Soldeu - the bloke who runs it is so miserable that he is called Marvin (Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) - I think it is only his nickname but it might be his real name.
snow conditions
Learned to ski in Arinsal in March 2004 - even got a suntan. Went back to Arinsal Jan 2005 to some great skiing as it snowed & snowed & snowed ! We had to return to Toulouse airport via Spain as the roads direct to France were all blocked. Enjoyed the skiing so much that we managed a week in Soldeu in March 2005 staying at Sport Village. Hotel was excellent, skiing was great and the sun shone all week.
Transfer is a bit long but worth it when you get there.

Have booked a week in Soldeu staying in Sport Village in March 2006 - can't wait !

Very Happy
snow report
davidg, can't wait either! Are you going in early March or late March? Great to hear you liked it so much you're going back a third time.

highlandrob, any chance you could describe which is the fairy run and where we should take it from? My friends are very keen to do their first "proper" green run (they've never skied before, albeit lessons on the dry slope recently) and I was going to try to work out from the great interactive piste map at www.grandvalira.com which is the fairy run so I can give my friends something to whet their appetites even more.

Watching the webcams carefully, anyone know when it starts to snow there? I know it's a long time until March but... Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowshine, I'm not sure, but highlandrob, may be refering to the run marked 'Gall de Bosc' which starts at the top of the mountain and runs back and forth between Soldeu and El-Tarter for 8Km.
It used to be categorised as a green run, but was changed to a blue for some reason a couple of years ago.

A reasonable skier Cool could probably Schuss it most the way from the top. A beginner would have a great time getting the feel for schussing on the last stretch back to El-Tarter.

The other run back to El-Tarter from the Riba Escorxada is the Esquirol. I would be cautious about taking your friends down that way early in the week because there is a nastly little bit at the end. (not a problem for anyone who has skied a week or so).

Don't worry about the snow (or lack of it). I don't think it usually starts until well into Novemeber. I'm off to Arinsal in January and I'm not worried......yet wink
ski holidays
I'm heading back to Soldeu in feb (16 weeks & 4 days for anyone who's interested) Staying at the Euroski. Taking a couple of bambis with me as well as some old hands so should be good. Hopefully the manager in the Avanlanche has remembered to reserve my table!! This will be my 5th visit & I'm not bored yet. Will def try out Caldea this time but can recommend the skidoos & the paragliding (not a thrill ride despite running off the edge of a black run). Ditching ski school for private lessons this year so can go at my own pace. I'm so excited I can't even wait until the webcams click back into action. Feeling like a total saddo

Embarassed rolling eyes Embarassed rolling eyes Embarassed rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

I'm so excited I can't even wait until the webcams click back into action. Feeling like a total saddo

Eeyore, that's perfectly normal for snowHeads - you're safe with us snowHead
snow conditions
snowshine wrote:

Certainly will do!!
ski holidays
Snowshine/Paul Holland – you are both right it is marked as the ‘Gall de Bosc on the piste map. We used it to ski down on the first day after the kids got out of ski school and they loved it. Be careful as you approach the red run junction some of the skiers tend to fly down there with no regard to the bambis on the greens. No idea why it’s been re-classed as a blue – the steepest part is the last 10 yards but it’s so wide you can traverse across the slope effortlessly. By day 2 you’ll be itching to come all the way down from Tosa Espiolets
snow report
Just had a look on the webcams (I do every morning Laughing ) and there is SNOW! Lots of it!! snowHead snowHead snowHead

I know I'm not going until March but very excited now. Must be good news for homphomp, Eeyore, davidg.

Sorry, gratuitous excitement for this time of the morning. But I know I'm in good company here.
snow report
snowshine, Told you not to worry wink
snow conditions
Just looked at the webcams - lovely sight ! Hoping to squeeze in a week in January at Soldeu as I cannot wait until March.

Laughing
snow report
Ooooh....I've been trying to resist starting the daily webcam routine....but I might just have to take a quick peek!
snow conditions
Decided to take a massive gamble and book a week in Pas de la Casa starting on the 12th December. It was an amazing deal so couldn't be resisted. Have been sweating on the amount on snow there will be in Grandvalira ever since! Lovely to see snow on the one working piste cam! But the news gets better, there looks to be a rather large blizzard heading for Andorra this weekend!

Anyone know if you the off piste is ever decent before xmas?
snow conditions
Hi,

Managed to get some time off work in January so have just booked a week in Sport Hotel in Soldeu on 22 January 2005 with my partner as well as a week at Sport Village on 12 March 2005 so here's hoping there is plenty snow all season! Booked again with First Choice as have had no problems with them in the past and lift tickets etc. sorted on the transfer so saves going to a welcome meeting.

snowshine/homphomp I can be found in Fat Alberts with my Snowheads hat on most nights !

Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 14-11-05 14:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
davidg watching ELVIS the instuctor sing whilst drinking Hoegaarden - ah happy days.

Do you ever get the feeling Fat Alberts was a barn or similar a few years back and Fat Albert converted it into a pub ?

snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy