Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2011/12 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
It's snowIng, seems a bit more than forecast. Plus it's snow in the town which according to meteo cham was supposed to be rain. Big flakes, it is needed.

Me I am in bed with a crook back:(
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob wrote:

hope you get better soon!
don't worry i missed out skiing today. gutted. i'd agreed a while ago to cover someones shift today, and i'm now 'on' tues, wed, thurs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OliC wrote:
jbob wrote:

hope you get better soon!
don't worry i missed out skiing today. gutted. i'd agreed a while ago to cover someones shift today, and i'm now 'on' tues, wed, thurs.

Thanks, I am really fed up, missing the last powder day and I was supposed to be doing Gran Paradiso next week which I think will not happen now. Ah well I have had a good season already.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

missing the last powder day

crystal ball? I'll bet there'll be some more. Get well soon. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Pam, no crystal ball I am out of here on the 31st not too many days left. Sad

Mrs Jbob went Nordic skiing today in Chamonix, said it was pants and won't be going back, slushy and damaged.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I am out of here on the 31st

Ah! That's a shame. Was the nordic skiing low down? I heard there was some nice cross country higher up in Les Houches, though maybe after all the hot weather, that's slushy too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes there are four Nordic areas in the valley, with Chamonix being the lowest, it can be very nice on a snowy day, but despite a lot of effort from the track guys it seems finished for this year, with more mild weather rolling in. Les houches is the highest and lasts longest, its a bit open with no trees, crosses over the piste which can be a bit of a scramble, plus its undulating, very nice views though and the best snow going.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to chamomet four skiers were caught in an avalanche on the Valorcine side of the Aig. de Posettes at Le Tour. One suffered back injuries when carried over a cliff, the others were unhurt. They were skiing off piste.

Take it easy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great skiing yesterday off the top of GM, early bins up had some pretty much untracked fresh as Mondays viz had kept everyone cautious I quess (not a general Chamonix mindset).

First time I've been up this year (i think) and it was a different place to last year, mind you I was shocked how the VB had changed since last year when I was there a few weeks ago.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good conditions up Grands Montets today - firmy and chalky off piste well cut up but most pleasant. Not quite warm enough for the bumps to soften up enough - and the clearly haven't been enough good skiers skiing the bumps uo there in recent weeks as the lines are most odd.

Pistes looked firm and well groomed for those that like such things.

Pierre a Ric the usual mess.

And the usual end of season muppets partout.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.chamonix.net/english/news/2012-03-30.htm

A ski tourer was killed yesterday on the very popular Berard traverse, while the avi danger remains low which is good, icy slopes remain a threat.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heading out to Argentiere tomorrow for a while, last year wasn't the best for snow as we all remember but still had a fantastic time. Can't wait to get out there!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob, is it really going to be dumping down in Chamonix Valley--next week???
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arrived in Cham at lunchtime today....shorts and t-shirts and 19 degrees in town....I cannot see any dump will be anything other than rain at less than 3000m....hope there is a drop in temperature, but doesn't look very hopeful. That said, extremely pleasant sat on the balcony drinking a very nice red and watching the mountains begin to change colour
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
humble, that's a good honest weather report! Enjoy the sun if not snow! Very Happy
ski holidays
Julieanne, Alas I arrived back in the uk last night. I had a great winter with a few ticks in my black book. Unfortunatly a planned trip to gran paradiso had to be cancelled when some over enthusiastic kick turns put my back out.

A marmot told me before I left that it would rain next tue/wed/thurs with a slight drop in temp to about 12 deg c in the valley so as humble, Says it will be a high snow line but the lifts do go high Very Happy

When I left cham it had that morning after the party feel.
snow report
Jakejenks, You will find the piste skiing much better than last year.
latest report
jbob, hmmm....weatherwise methinks that's it for me...was tempted today to join a group in Courchevel over Easter but looking at the webcams I've decided to leave it until next season. Not having managed to get to the hills this year, I feel rather deprived... Sad

but poor YOU!! rolling eyes Hope your back recovers well and soon! Very Happy
snow report
humble, the weather can change pretty dramatically, this forecast implies snow from 1000 - 1200m from next wed
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Chamonix_snow.html. I wouldn't give up on the season yet, it's still only March.
snow report
Julieanne wrote:
jbob, hmmm....weatherwise methinks that's it for me...was tempted today to join a group in Courchevel over Easter but looking at the webcams I've decided to leave it until next season. Not having managed to get to the hills this year, I feel rather deprived... Sad

100% of the Courchevel lifts are open today and there is a sprinkle due next week.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Julieanne wrote:

100% of the Courchevel lifts are open today and there is a sprinkle due next week.

Whitegold, ouch...that really puts me back into my dilemma! rolling eyes

... but thanks anyway! Very Happy
latest report
Julieanne, The snow is excellent. Wat are you dithering about?
snow conditions
under a new name, I think Julieanne enjoys dithering about her holidays more than she enjoys going on them. wink
snow report
under a new name, and Pedantica, too right! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Today is the day I am turning my life around and booking a flight---(how could I NOT be in the hills at Easter 3 years running!! Toofy Grin) rolling eyes
snow conditions
Julieanne, wonderful! A photo of your booking, please, or it didn't happen! wink
snow conditions
Its so good to be back, really must try and come here during Jan or Feb next year rather than leaving it to the end of the season like last few years... under a new name, can't say I've spent too much time on the piste, spent the last few days up on the glacier and the couloirs above it and have had a great time. Snow is better off the piste up on Grands Montets, the piste has been packed so hard, wouldn't recommend any novice skiers heading up at the moment as the initial run down from the bottom of the stairs is really quite icy and watched a fair few people fall/slide down that. Runs from mid down look pretty slushy from about 1pm but good before that. Park is good this year, little bro has been there a fair bit and has some good kickers and other features. Planning on skinning up to the refuge some point in the next couple weeks and heading up from there for something out of the way.

At the moment its raining in Argentiere but guessing there is some snow up top, probably going to go for a few drinks in Courmayeur or something.
ski holidays
I had a good morning at Le Tour yesterday. There had been 3 or 4 cms of fresh overnight on a hard base , so it was a lot better than I was expecting with little slush. It isn't possible to ski down to the village, but the lower nursery slopes were open.

Visibility got pretty bad by lunchtime so I went for a wander in Chamonix instead, which was always the original plan as I had expected the snow to be poor in the afternoon, which didn't seem to be the case.
snow conditions
So here we are in Chamonix. Arrived thursday morning after a very early flight from Heathrow & a very quick connection from Geneva. Absolutely no snow at valley level but seems plenty higher up. We also had a lovely day on friday at La Vormaine in very bright & beautiful sunshine which was a perfect introduction for us as a Family of beginners, then went to Flegere on Saturday which had plenty of snow, we had to take cover on a number of occasions as the snow was really dropping down with very poor visibility. We found ourselves slightly out of our depth and decided to get some more tuition before heading out again. We decided to have a bit of a lazy day today (Sunday) so had a walk to Les planards & had a go on the Luge, which proved very popular will all of us. The valley had a lovely light dusting of snow today but nothing settled low down, looking out from my balcony with a glass of red in my hand, the view is just lovely looking up to Mont Blanc, a bit of cloud but simply stunning. We are off again to Le Tour tomorrow with a few hours of instruction for all of us. Frankly, there isnt much snow low down , but considering that its our first Family Skiing Trip & we are rather late in the season, its all just lovely & we are loving it. Not really a post for our more expert Skiers, but if you are heading out here shortly for a Break & are not bothered about Skiing in 4 metres of Snow then you should be very excited as its nearly perfect. Now wheres that Deep heat gone Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
grandunion, If you are at Le tour and want a nice lunch check out the new cafe at the bottom of the Valorcine gondola, you have a choice of the station cafe or the new place which is the other side of the railway line they do a traditional sausage on a roll with chips for 7 euro plus they have a sunny terrace. Little Angel
snow report
Cheers JBOB. Might drop into there for a bite after a few hours of falling over. The forecast looks fine for us over the next few days. Lovely sunshine tomorrow, then a little drizzley on tuesday then snow on wednesday for our last jaunt out on the piste. Happy Days. Grandunion...
latest report
grandunion, there really isn't a great deal of skiing at valley level at the best of times, 90% of it is at altitude, which is a good thing. You are broadly speaking seeing the Cham valley as it normally is
snow conditions
Lovely day up at GM today. More here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88511&highlight=

latest report
Bit of an update on Cham for you all.

The snow on Grand Montets was great yesterday (Friday) - around 10cm of fresh snow in the morning and bright skies up high. I think it had fallen in the early morning as there was little difference between the piste and off-piste. Really quite lovely and lots of fresh tracks. During the late morning and early afternoon the cloud rolled in from down the valley and the temperature jumped significantly so by 2pm areas that were perfect in the morning were almost bare earth and the visibility was so-so.

Today we headed to Le Tour. Again, some new snow but maybe only 3cm, 5 in places. Visibility was poor or very poor all day - a fair bit of pole to pole skiing so we kept to the pistes all day. Slope conditions weren't quite so good with a hardish base covered by the new snow. By 1am this was all melding together so some nice soft snow. It pretty much continued snowing while we were up on the mountain.

Down in the valley there's a lot of drizzle, rain and cloud, so much so that we've not seen the peaks yet. More snow due tonight.

If you're thinking of coming, it's still very much April so get the skiing done in the mornings - but what mornings!
snow report
It's snowing in Chamonix town...and it's settling.
latest report
Lognan now up to 170cm and more probable over the next week according to the models. Then it gets very warm.
snow report
Wow. Simply wow. Today was a genuine powder day up on Grand Montets. We made first lift but it must have been a heavy Saturday night in town as not many others did so we walked straight on the Plan Joran at 9am with no queue.

We were making fresh tracks for most of the morning in over 10cm of powder. Conditions above 2000m stayed fantastic until 12pm and then after that, just good.

Raining in town again this afternoon/tonight with the sky full of low lying clouds.
ski holidays
Lognan up to 175cm now and currently snowing by the look of it.
snow report
198cm at Lognan this morning and another 20cms forecast for Saturday night.

The season is really starting to deliver now !
snow report
at the moment cham meteo is saying that sat night will have 20-30cm at 1800! the last week or so its averaged 10-15. so i guess its gonna dump dump dump sat night!

G.M was great this morning, poor vis from top to middle stations, but fresh tracks all over so you could still charge almost all way to mid station.

bet its going off all over the valley if you fancy navigating!
snow report
Lognan now up to 205cm with montets at 400cm. looks like summer starts here with valley temps up to 20C this week.

Is this the max depth reached at Lognan this year ?

Still just over a week till i go out, but hopefully there will be some snow left snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy