Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Chamonix Valley 2011/12 snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Montenvers was cut off by an avalanche and all the tourests had to be helied off on Sat.

what fun! snowHead

FlyingStantoni, what's the scale of that "random ice photo".
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob wrote:
FlyingStantoni, nice photos. +1 on the cham track, but you missed out on a heli trip. Montenvers was cut off by an avalanche and all the tourests had to be helied off on Sat.

bug Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
FlyingStantoni, what's the scale of that "random ice photo".

I really don't have any idea pam w - as it was taken at a reasonable distance. At a guess I'd say the bigger bits are 6-10m. But that really is just a guess.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flying Santoni, nice photos. We also skied it on Saturday and I think you have our family on your picture of the top of the arret. Sons are in green and I am about 3rd last at the bottom of the picture. Will try to save a copy!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are in Chamonix, be aware tomorrow is going to be a cat 4/5 for avalanche risk on sunny slopes below 3000m.

Take care.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bulletproof bumps yesterday at the GMs apart from a couple of
pitches that softened up later - currently snowing lightly though
will take a bit to make a difference... VB bumps top to bottom
according to a mate who was guiding it yesterday!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is anyone going to go out on a limb & tell me there will be some snow for me & my family arriving on 5th April. We are all beginners so dont expect the earth but would like to get some skiing in....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from a great week in chamonix, very mixed group so the beginners loved the sunny weather, the hardcore skiers weren't so keen on the afternoon conditions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
grandunion, I'm going to Chamonix 31 March - 7 April, I'll use the wifi and post updates when I'm there. Our youngest (4) is a beginner and so we'll be looking mainly at the green runs too. I'm hoping that La Vormaine will still be open (3 drags and a magic carpet) but not so optimistic; if not then the fall-back option for me is the beginners srea at the top of Prairion at Les Houches.

I was in Cham last Easter, w/c 18 April. As you know, last year was exceptionally bad for snow, but even then CMB kept the green piste (Piste 2000) at Brevent open all week (I think mostly at the behest of the ESF). It was perfectly skiable, but obviously not ideal.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Approx 20cms of fresh today which was nice - not enough to hide the bumps, but some pleasant skiing to be had in the trees...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
offpisteskiing, which area were you skiing?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had a lovely days skiing at les houches today. Yesterday's topup has improved conditions, with lots of soft snow early on in the day, it was cold but very sunny, by the end of the day there was some scraped off hard pack showing through and sun affected at the bottom but still pleasant.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone around in Cham and want to ski moguls under the Herse Chairlift on GM tomorrow morning? Going to be lapping that hopefully a few times tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Touchguru wrote:
Anyone around in Cham and want to ski moguls under the Herse Chairlift on GM tomorrow morning? Going to be lapping that hopefully a few times tomorrow.

I'm there, but those moguls aren't my thing I'm afraid, knees too old! Probably heading for Courmeyeur. GM wasn't too bad today now the fresh has consolidated a little to the scratchy base.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Touchguru, GMs Sun & Mon. Brevent today had some reasonable soft snow in places, but on a quite variable & unpredictable base. Pistes were great first thing & still pretty good at close of play...
ski holidays
ww166no wrote:

I'm there, but those moguls aren't my thing I'm afraid, knees too old! Probably heading for Courmeyeur. GM wasn't too bad today now the fresh has consolidated a little to the scratchy base.

No worries ww166no and thanks for the info on GM. Have a great time in Courmayeur - I think it is a great little resort.
latest report
Touchguru, If it's moguls you're after, you'll find exactly what you want under the Herse! Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
Touchguru, GMs Sun & Mon. Brevent today had some reasonable soft snow in places, but on a quite variable & unpredictable base. Pistes were great first thing & still pretty good at close of play...

Wondered what GM was going to be like yesterday as I was in Les Houches yesterday morning which was great fun in the fresh snow we had overnight and in the morning.

Great to hear the pistes holding their own in the colder conditions. I was in Morzine and Avoriaz today and the pistes there were also in really good condition.

Looking forward to getting out onto GM tomorrow.
snow conditions
ww166no wrote:
Touchguru, If it's moguls you're after, you'll find exactly what you want under the Herse! Enjoy Very Happy

Thanks Smile I saw them on Saturday when I was there with friends, but didn't ski them too much as my friends were more intent on sticking to the piste. Nice(!!) long run there. My legs probably won't thank me after tomorrow though!! Very Happy
latest report
Touchguru, If you're interested in a run or two of OP anytime after tomorrow let me know, I have friends here who would probably enjoy a short vacation back on the piste if they could get it!
snow conditions
In these times of "everything warming up and turning boiler platey" (a bit like it did last March) what are the Vallee Blanche routes like? Do the glaciers keep the snow colder or does everything turn to hard ice and bumps? And the steeper things, like the Pas de Chevre, Grand Envers and Toula: do they remain skiable or do they glaze over in the sun? (I guess there's been plenty of snow in Jan to do all the filling required for the major crevasses).

Any observations welcome, in advance of asking guides/pisteurs when we go there.

Cheers
snow conditions
sproggski, i am off to do a VB tomorrow, will let you know. The Berard Valley was like this today-

yum yum
latest report
Went for a walk:

Hung out for a bit:

Skied some pow:

More pics and words at: http://powderbible.com/2012/03/07/tr-chamonix-2012-day-1-col-du-belvedere/
snow report
Thanks ww166no, will let you know re: OP as I am just doing some training at the moment so focusing on a few things and running them over and over.

Spent this morning 9:30 until 1pm running bumps under the Herse and down Blanchots and Pylones as well as down Remuaz and finished off coming down under the Tabe chair which was a nice way to finish.
The entrance bumps down Remuaz certainly showed me who was boss on my first run down there!!! Smile

Warmed up on piste for a few runs before the above and the snow was in great condition all over the place. Nice and grippy on and off piste. There was still some fresh to be had next to the Tabe chair between the trees but I was trying to stay focused so didn't ski it!!

The snow on the ski down Pierre a Ric at just before 1pm was still really good all the way down.

And there were very few people around as well Very Happy
snow conditions
Weather was great so we went touring again. Never been so high on skins and definitely felt it, hiking above 3000m is hard work! Didn't quite make our objective as I'm coming down with a cold but a great day out nonetheless. Epic scenery too.

Lots of pics:

More pics and words at: http://powderbible.com/2012/03/08/tr-chamonix-2012-day-2-glacier-du-tour-noir/
snow report
We wanted to ski the Glacier Rond:

But we didn't feel like dying so we bailed and climbed back out:

And skied the Vallee Blanche instead:

More pics and words at: http://powderbible.com/2012/03/11/tr-chamonix-2012-day-3-glacier-rond-failure-vallee-blanche-plan-b/
snow report
After yesterday's bailout we went to the sunny side in search of steeps.

Skied some nice pow on the way

Skinned a bit:

Climbed up a ridge:

Skied something really quite steep:

And opened it up down below:

More pics and words at: http://powderbible.com/2012/03/11/tr-chamonix-2012-day-4-steep-skiin-south-face-of-laiguille-dentreves/
snow conditions
Thanks for sharing some great pics Chamwow, awesome! Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamwow, yep, wow sums it up perfectly Cool

jbob, how was the VB the other day? Did you get to see what the variants were like?

Is the James Bond track still usable?
ski holidays
We started with a bigger climb:

To a bigger location:

The steeps were sweet:

But the corn below was better:

Buller Ski School Alumni meeting:

This is the top half of the ski:

Bottom bit was a little gripping:

(Lots) more pics and words at: http://powderbible.com/2012/03/13/tr-chamonix-2012-day-5-se-couloir-of-tour-ronde-to-brenva-glacier/

Sproggski - James Bond track is still skiable, three short sections you have to take your skis off though. Still better than the slog to the train.
ski holidays
sproggski, My daughter lost her pass and by the time we sorted it the queue was very long so we abandoned it. Hope to try again on wed. We did have a great tour over in les Contamines but I supposed that does not belong here.

The snow conditions in chamonix are ok but not great, it's gone nice and quiet, which is good after the last month of crowds. The snow on piste varies a lot both by aspect and time of day, if it's been groomed its good first thing, gets slowly scraped away through the day, with a slushy finish (which I like). Off piste there is not much good stuff to be found, it is mougled on the accessible stuff and hard/crusty/soft elsewhere.
latest report
Did VB a couple of times last Weds; from Italian side and a varient of the Envers du plan, neither much to write home about, lots of blown-over crevasses on the far side of the glacier, very crusty on the nearside apart from the odd pocket. Classic route looked dire! Track out much better than expected ,as Chamwow says.
snow report
The home run down to valorcine was closed today, it looks as though it's closed for the rest of the season, the piste patrol were removing all the markers, it had gotten slushy or icy.

One bit of good news is the opening two weeks ago of a second cafe at valorcine. It's at the end of the now closed home run, you have to cross over the level crossing and turn left and it's about one hundred meters along. The station cafe now has some stiff compertition, it's a bit cheaper and the food is very good plus the staff are very friendly. They do an excellent small coffee for 1.30€ cheap by cham standards.
snow report
Aargh!! Dilemmas!! Over on the Weather Outlook Thread, it looks like a bit of a dump is now brewing for Monday. While this is great news for everyone, I'm only skiing there from Saturday to Tuesday, so should I:

(a) spend Saturday/Sunday enjoying l'Envers du Plan or Pas de Chevre as much as is possible on crust and crud, hoping that Monday/Tuesday are powder days for Grands Montets, or

(b) ski resort-stuff on Saturday/Sunday, crossing fingers and hoping that weather's not too poor or slopes too avalanche prone for the big routes on Monday/Tuesday.

A wiser owl than me will know where/when to find the spring snow when its warm and sunny!

Any views, chaps and chapesses - what would you do? Still smarting from a disastrous week last March, when Flegere had more mud than snow.
ski holidays
sproggski, I would work on the assumption that we may get a bit of snow Monday, certainly I haven't seen any suggestion of epic powder days next week. Enjoy the sunshine.
snow conditions
sproggski, There are some forecasts talking about 20-30 over Sunday- Monday which would give you a powder day Smile but make anything too adventurous risky.

It's hard to call as many forecasts are just extracted from the same model. Meteo cham which has proved the most reliable for me over a long time who give a confidence factor but only predicts a few days out are talking about a disturbance Sunday but no more detail yet. We certainly need a disturbance at the moment.
latest report
jbob, yep, I agree. What I mentioned earlier were dreams for good condition days, not straight after a storm or in bad visibility. If there's a foot of snow, I'll be quite happy on the Grands Montets!!! We'll see what AdM is like on Saturday and the forecast for Sunday should be firming up by then. Looks like plan A above will win, but Tuesday could be pretty special high up...
latest report
Anyone know how things are round the corner in Les Contamines? Heading there for a long weekend next wednesday en famille.
Cheers
snow conditions
jedster, I was round at les Contamines last week and conditions were good. There were lines to be had off piste and the pistes were holding up very well. The run down at the end of the day was a bit heavy. It might have changed in the last week.
ski holidays
Grands Montets was heaving yesterday but Vallée Blanche was nice
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy