Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Have they really shut Val T a week earlier than normal?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No? Said 8th May when I was out there and still says so on their website?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If they have the Dutch week will be an interesting affair Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looked like it had shut yesterday, clearly not!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevew, was just storm bound for the day!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The weird May weather continues...
At a loss for something bigger to do locally today I went up with the idea of doing some laps in the St Peres couloirs. On closer inspection from the lifts these looked less than appealing, so a fall-back option was called for. I have skied underneath the Pointe du Bouchet many times but never actually been to the top. The snow on this north face looked to be reasonably soft so Plan B was launched...

La face du jour (apologies for poor quality pics - forgot my camera...):

Birds eye view of the top chairlift in Orelle:

Nice powder!

Lower face, great sluffy powder:

Below the face a hard right traverse yielded great spring snow all the way down to Plan Bouchet - result!
Looking to maximise the day I then jumped on the Bouchet (?) chair for a quick lap but Plan C emerged on the way up - a slope I have looked at lots of times in the past but never got around to skiing. A quick half hour boot-pack got me up onto the high point of the Rochers Renod ridge where after a bit of rock-hoppery a fantastic descent on perfect spring snow followed. Not a steep descent, but nice to finally ski a line I have looked at for a long time!

Summit, with Maurienne valley behind:

Pointe Renod:

Great spring snow:

Last few days of VT lifts being open but still some great skiing to be done and very few people about!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent stuff! And good to find something new in your own back yard too. But what happened to the "steady rate and steady rhythm" in #3?

Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val Thorens amazing this morning. Boot-deep powder, literally nobody around. Except me, Mrs Piehole and our 2 year old. Meaning all we could do was potter about on the magic carpets and the easiest slopes in the world. *shakes fist at heavens*. Still, mustn't grumble.

(I'm grumbling, a bit).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sad day today with the lifts closing even though it was snowing all afternoon. Lots of snow still. Resort had an end of season lunch party with lots of free food and beer/wine etc.
Offpisteskiing - I wondered who had made those tracks at the top of the Bouchet lift. Very keen indeed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plan for Courchevel lifts for next 10 years?

http://www.ecosign.com/mtn-Courchevel.html

"After careful study, Ecosign and CIME proposed to retain 27 of the 57 existing lifts, remove 30 lifts and install 16 new lifts. The total number of lifts would drop by 25% thereby reducing operating and maintenance costs and at the same time providing greatly enhanced customer convenience and comfort."

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tom W, looks interesting I'll study it when I get home but biggest change is lower lifts across from 1650 to 1850 and a lift up from St Bon area. Not sure whether the Bel-air will approve of the Aroindaz gondola not landing on it's doorstep!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Bel Air was one of our favourite restaurants, though not of my pocket, but we went over there this year nad the menu was completely different. No one wanted anything and we ended up using the takeaway/snack bar underneath. Does this plan lose pistes, move pistes or gain any?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reecie, blue dotted lines are 'potential ski routes' (ie proposed pistes)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not much happening on higher runs/lifts.
Only had 2 days in Courchevel and we did not explore anything below 1850 so can't comment on proposed changes there.

Replacements for drag lifts on top of 1650 will be nice though. Lovely runs but not good for repeated rides on the board Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pity there isn't a PDF for this as it would make it a lot easier to look at in detail
snow report
Realised that this plan goes back to 2010. Since then the only thing that I can see that they've done i the Plantrey chair for this season. Does anyone else know if they've accepted / implemented any of this?
latest report
stevew, as far as I am aware the only lift changing this year in Courchevel is the 3 Valleys chairlift in 1650, though details are sketchy as to what & where the replacement will go.

Rumours have also resurfaced of the Bozel - Courchevel link (though these do come up every year or so...).

Sad to see so many of the shorter lifts being replaced - from a work point of view these are super-handy at times. Particularly worrying to see a proposed extension of the Foret bubble right up the ridge - all this would do is mean it would be closed on those stormy windy days where it is currently one of the only lifts that can stay open... Taking out the Stade button has already cut down bad weather day options as it is!

In Meribel/Mottaret the first section of Burgin/Saulire should be going in this summer, along with the new Plattieres - (replacing sections 1 & 2 with 1 single section going to just above top of Chatelet). Val Thorens are upgrading the cabins on Funitel Peclet but that is all I know of just now.
ski holidays
http://www.lastationdeski.com/news/fr-news-378-courchevel_118_millions_d_euros_.html

And if you can't read french
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lastationdeski.com%2Fnews%2Ffr-news-378-courchevel_118_millions_d_euros_.html
ski holidays
Onnem, mmm, thats what i thought - a short lift linking Ariondaz etc buildings to the front de neige... great, even bigger queues for the bubble now Happy
snow report
Can't see what the advantages of a two stage gondola for Ariondaz, who'd want to get on / off at the middle, just seems a flat bit
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
stevewParticularly worrying to see a proposed extension of the Foret bubble right up the ridge - all this would do is mean it would be closed on those stormy windy days where it is currently one of the only lifts that can stay open... Taking out the Stade button has already cut down bad weather day options as it is!

Looks like it's going to be a chair as well, that'll be mega long. Had't realised Stade had gone.
snow report
stevew, re Ariondaz I believe it is being routed closer to the Belvedere chalets (or even via the bottom of belvedere button approx..)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy