Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Above VT from Pluviometre

One above Mottaret and one in Mottaret

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We woke to blue skies in VT, but clouds gradually gathered over the day, getting distinctly black by late afternoon. We stayed in the VT area. Pistes were very firm, but with a skiable surface high up, tending to slush lower down, which started to appear even from first lifts this morning at lower town level.

Those black clouds finally gave way to snow at around 4pm and it's been snowing at VT town level since 4pm and shows no sign of stopping any time soon Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Update: snowing ceased in VT at about 20:30 hrs. There appears to be a few cm on the piste outside our apartment (Portes du Solieil). We went out and discovered it had not stuck on the streets or any area that currently had no snow cover (it melted as it landed).
It had been suggested that we could expect 14 cm of fresh snow at 2,300m (Val Thorens resort level) , so far that's not appeared. Here's hoping that overnight we get the forecasted dump as well as a freeze!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As far I could make out, this afternoons GFS actually upgraded the precipitation due ? I'm sure I saw 20cm for VT resort level and 30+ cms on higher ground.......
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val Thorens: The forecasted dump has arrived and it's still coming down! We awoke to the sounds of the avalanche gas cannons being set off and the piste bashers were working through the night. There is currently at least 20 cm of fresh at the Funitel Peclet. What a difference 12 hours makes!
Powder day looms ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, even snowing down in Bozel this morniing!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back at the apartment in Val Thorens for lunch. It's snowed all morning, now getting patches of blue, viz improving. Excellent foot deep powder through-out VT, including the pistes. Nearly lost the kids in it! wink
Funitel Peclet delayed opening until 10:00, which was a shame as were were first in the queue! It appeared that all the upper lifts and runs were affected by the excess snow! Now all open. The area really needed this snow, now looking great! Not sure what it's doing lower down the valley though.
Just about to go out again and 'suffer' the conditions.......... Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
....You lot have made my day - keep those great reports comin' in! Looking forward to the eosb even more now snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like the Meribel valley got the best of the snow, 30cms reported to have fallen here. 20cms in VT and Courchevel! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Finally got online. Sitting in the Fox and its snowing now,.again. A foot of fresh at the top this morning. Plus been snowing on and off all day. Anyone here next week is unlikely to be dissapointed. Had a coffee (only a coffee! ) with Howard Marks in Meribel yesterday. How random is that Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scubadancer, will this help? :

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You didn't need to be off-piste to leave tracks like that today. On-Piste in VT the snow was equally as deep. We saw folks digging for lost skis and very small children were vanishing nearly waist deep in some places. Though the vis where we were wasn't as good as in those pictures. Come the evening the well trodden pistes such as the stretch between the retour and the 2 lacs lift was packed really hard and Plein Sud had been well packed, but some of the higher ungroomed pistes in VT were well deep in it when we were skiing them mid afternoon. The vis has cleared a little and there has been an odd snow flurry this evening, but I doubt the conditions will be as epic tomorrow, though we are expecting some perfect corduroy to ski on.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
offpisteskiing, that'll do just nicely, cheers Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More snow overnigbt and blue skies from mid morn onwards.fantastic conditions.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
offpisteskiing, I don't want to be at work! I want to be back in Val T. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
We didn't think there had been a huge amount of fresh snow overnight, but conditions were very good today in VT. We went up and skied the Niverolles blue and it was in excellent condition - a pleasure to ski on it and a surface so flat that even a slight loss of light here and there didn't really matter. The only slight problem was almost a misting of something that froze to the front of goggles and needed to be periodically wiped off as it obscured your sight. The pistes in VT have held up very well even later on in the day. For example, Plein Sud would normally be expected to be a slush fest by around 5pm and was actually quite skiable. Pistes higher up have been consistently good, though as might be expected the soft snow around has mounded up during the course of the day. There has been a bit of melt at town level, but so far things are quite OK.
snow report
fingers crossed for more snow before the EoSB next weekend Little Angel
snow report
Today wasn't bad again... no new fresh up high, despite the rain down low overnight, but still plenty of fresh to go at:

Staying unsettled for next few days so should be some more coming down hopefully!
latest report
No new snow in VT overnight. A dose of VT best boilerplate corduroy on Plein sud around 10am, absolutely superb snow by the time we got round from the bottom again and went moraine (even though its only a cruisey blue the surface was fabulous soft flat corduroy). All pistes of any height that had been groomed were in good conditions, tending to slush lower down during the later afternoon. The pistes held up as there was very little sunshine this afternoon with very bad vis, but it did help the snow to hold up on piste.

It started to snow around 15:00, but the vis is so atrocious that you can't see the magic carpet only 25 yards away from the Pichu appartments (now around 17:00 and still snowing. It's been like that most of the afternoon (and was v.v.bad higher up).
snow report
Out to Val Thorens on the 28th April for 3 days. Thought we would be alright but with this new snow looks as though we could be in for a belter. Very Happy
snow report
We left about a 9"-12" of fresh in VT yesterday morning Sad
snow report
Megamum, did you do Mont Vallon in the end?
ski holidays
In VT at the moment. The morning skiing is fantastic, this morning here was about 6 inches of powder everywhere and all the runs were great with barely a soul about.

In the afternoon it is sludging up a wee bit but not too bad. Visibility has been a bit iffy but the next few days are meant to be a bit better.

I think this must have been the best season weather wise in the alps for at least a decade. A champagne year.
ski holidays
stevew, Unfortunately not. We looked at it seriously as an option for Friday, but as a red-red I wanted a chance to at least see where I was going and the vis. let us down on Friday as you might have read about elsewhere. (In fact we only got constantly half decent or good vis on only a couple of days last week. The Col de L'azudin red was no picnic, but I did at least know the expected lie of the land there having staggered down it twice in the past. However, I still like the sound of Mont Vallon and its on the must-do list. It won't be my last 3V trip and I do eventually get the 'bogey' pistes hammered at some point. I had three cracks at the Red from Grand Fond into the Orelle valley before getting it, so the Mont Vallon reds are also going on my bucket list and will eventually get knocked off - I owe it to all the people that gave me good info on them. Had I copped another blue bird day I'd have already done them, but it wasn't going to be last week. Still something to look forwards to Very Happy
ski holidays
very very sticky off of saulire this morning, the snow looked great but didnt ski particularily well as so wet it was almost sodden, first tracks off the chanrossa black but it was hard work and very lumpy underneath, mount vallon was quite good today but got a bit claggy lower down. the snow was knee deep off the top just off piste on the north facing bits but lots of deep tracks and lumps about and a few crashes ensued. The vis closed in and it got a bit sketchy with the knee breaker snow for me so i bagged it early at 2. hope it gets colder tonight
snow conditions
Megamum, if it's a help for the next time there's nothing like the really steep pitch near the bottom of the Orelle red on Mont Vallon
snow report
stevew, if that's so then it's a def. go-er for next time Very Happy As you guess it was that bit of that red that defeated me until hit 3 when I finally skied it in 'mush' conditions. Very Happy
snow report
Back from a week in Meribel (7-14/04). Mega conditions for the time of year. We normally go at Easter and get snow at some point but the overnight Tues/Weds dump really was exceptional. Weds am I wanted to go down Folyères to La Tania. Just going to the Col De Lozes chair at the Altiport was a knee deep schuss from the Rhodos lift. Once at the top the visibility was very poor. By the time we got to the top of Lanches we met someone climbing back up out the gloom. He said he couldn't see a thing and the powder was about a foot deep and was scared to go any further. We retired back to the Col De Loze restaurant for a highly expensive coffee. But eventually things cleared a bit and we had a great time pootling around bit of Courchevel. Even on Thursday there was untracked powder on piste on the Bouchet piste over in Orelle.

With regards to Mont Vallon I was determined to do it sometime during the week and eventually the wife and kids gave up around 2pm Friday (last day) so I decided I'd go on my own especially as I'd swapped skis that am and wanted to give them a good go. The conditions that day were pretty poor, low cloud and wet snow. Once I got from Meribel to Mont Vallon I was in two minds but decided to JFDI. I went down the Combe as that was where the few people up there were going. It was initially ok but after a short while was just very very poor visibility and rainy snow. I could only see the next piste marker once I'd cleared down past the one I could see. I also had to keep stopping to wipe off my goggles. Seemed a long haul down. Even going back to just above Mottaret you could see no village until the final drop of 100m or so.

Overall I had a great week. The colder weather kept the pistes in much better shape after the dump but we kind of missed the blue sky skiing after Tuesday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
emwmarine / skimottaret
I am driving up to VT on Thursday afternoon (hire car), it's my first visit to VT. Are the roads up to and in the resort clear at the moment? Am I likely to need chains? The forecast for Thursday looks like a few cm with freezing level just below VT. Will be parking in P0, bag drop first if conditions permit. Cheers
ski holidays
Mx6martin, welcome to SH's cant say 100% about VT but it was absolutely clear on way up to mottaret at 1700metres
snow report
Mx6martin - The 3 Vallees iOS app says on the VT weather section "Road Conditions - equipment compulsory". The rest of the 3Vs resorts just say "open roads". So probably worth checking.
snow report
Mx6martin, Welcome to Snowheads, are you there when the End of Season Bash arrive on the 21st ? You must drop in for a beer or a ski with us. snowHead
ski holidays
mx6martin, the roads up to VT have been fine during the day. Very early morning if it has been snowing overnight then chains might be needed but by 10.00 am the road is completely clear.

Even if it has been snowing overnight snow is only laying on the roads above Les Menuires.
latest report
Mx6martin, Signs down at Moutiers were recommending chains on Sunday for VT, but roads are looking much clearer now
latest report
Cheers all, will be VT Fri to Wed with the other half. Have only just stumbled across you guys. Will have to drop by L'Oxalys and say hello.
Based on the forecast looks like I should be ok late Friday afternoon without chains but any updates on likely road conditions appreciated. Thanks for the help guys.
snow conditions
Anyone who will be in or around VT during the EoSB - I've just added a new option on the EoSB list to say "I'll be in the neighbourhood".
Add yourself to it if you'd like to be kept 'in the loop' during the week.
snow report
admin, sadly, I won't catch up with you this year. I am here until Friday, then have to go to Jo'burg on Saturday. Hope you all have a great EoSB!
ski holidays
That's a shame Patch. You'll be sending the rest of your family in your stead though right? Wink
latest report
admin, Ollie would love to be there for the race, but I don't think they will be around after Sunday either.
latest report
Not really weather related but if anyone is in the 3V's this week your last ever chance to see the Mighty Bring Your Sisters. After 7 years they are heading in different directions and are on their farewell tour of local spots, The Ski Lodge in La Tania Friday is the final Gig

https://vimeo.com/40603161
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy