Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shaky Boots and Ice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last year I went to Chamonix for the first time with a few friends. I have been skiing before and I am a confident skiier, handling reds with ease.

However, during my time in Chamonix i found it very difficult to ski with confidence because my boots didnt seem to fit properly.

They were too loose around my thin foot but too tight at the top (meaning i had a lack of blood into my toes) even when on the loosest setting.

When I was skiing, my skiis would wobble and ended up crossing over a fair few times.

Does this sound like a boot problem and what are your tips - how should a boot fit?

Also, what is the best way to ski on an icy day when there is not much fresh snow?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like you need a bit of work on the boots.

Skiing on ice is tricky, here are a few ideas-
Well fitting boots
Sparp ski edges
Ski very smoothly
Be light on your feet
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If back in Cham, swing by our place, we'll try and help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bezthespaniard wrote:

Also, what is the best way to ski on an icy day when there is not much fresh snow?

From the comfort of the bar?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Different makes of boots tend to suit particular foot shapes. Try a lot out and buy some when you have. Spend a while walking around in the shop in each boot type. Remember you want them really snug, and that they will stretch a bit - don't just think about comfort. If they press too much in one place you can get it blown out in the resort or (possibly cheaper) by the shop who sold them to you. However it sounds like your boots are the wrong shape for your feet.

Having your own boots which fit your foot is much more important than your own skis.

To ski ice, ski as much up on your edges as possible. If it is possible to ski across the ice to better snow do so without trying to slow or turn. If you have to turn on ice try to carve with a smooth start to engage the edge rather than trying to force it round which will start a skid.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bezthespaniard, were they hired boots?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went to UCPA so we got given the equipment. Normally boots feel comfortable and snug but these didnt.

Thanks for the advice guys, we are in Cham 7-14 Jan or my stag do! Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy