Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hints and tips for skiing with children

Poster: A snowHead
We are going on our first ski trip with 3 children age 3,5 and 7. Everyone is booked into ski school in the morning. I need hints and tips from other parents so that we can survive the madness and make it fun for all. Any advice relating to what to pack, equipment needed, how to keep them warm, anything I might need to know. Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Give each a card in their pocket with their details on it and contact details and accommodation details. phone numbers etc. Laminate them if you can and just leave it there. If the older ones are used to cash tuck a 10 Euro note in their pockets as well then they can buy something at a cafe if they get separated. Each day make sure they have bars of choccy in their pockets.

2. Buy ski jackets with pockets on the LH sleeve (not all have these) and ski passes are difficult without them.

3. Invest in balaclavas or buffs to go under their helmets and make them wear them every day so they have them with them if it gets old - and/or add a thin buff to their pockets - kids faces get very cold very quickly. Deploy large quantities of high factor suncream on their faces and lips every day even if it is cloudy. Kids get on better with goggles (get those with proper UV standards but don't blow the bank on them as small kids scratch them quickly - Lidls do OK ones). For sitting outside if sunny a pair of sunglasses carried in your pockets might be useful.

4. Mits are better than gloves for small kids - buy good ones - not all keep kids hands warm. Add a set of hand warming pads to their pockets for emergency warm-ups (I've needed them). Though it might seem cliche - do go down the route of elastic on the mits/gloves and through the jacket arms or get a set with elastic around the wrists. If you go down the route of the ones through the jacket arms they don't forget them. Helmets are good place for storing goggles, mits and buffs when not in use

5. Check what they are wearing before you leave the appt. I've got mine as far as the slopes before its dawned on me that someone is only wearing their jeans and no sallopettes rolling eyes

6. DVD's and something to play them on never goes amiss IMV

7. Bib and brace sallopettes will keep them warmer, but might take longer toilet stops and they require jackets off - I went bib and brace for mine

8. Decide on a plan of action if they become separated just as you would anywhere else

9. Read the other thread for how I would play ski school. Let them go and don't look back!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 18-09-11 21:06; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What time of year are you going? If Easter then you have to balance between them keeping warm and over heating......
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get up nice and early in the morning. Rushing for ski school is a nightmare. Also the kids haven't quite had time to come round. Get everyone up and have a good breakfast and a bit of social time before the lesson starts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy decent goggles and gloves.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Make sure they go to the toilet at every opportunity
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mods, can we merge these 2 threads please??? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79525&highlight=
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, good all, was just about to say the same
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Check ski school start times - the first morning sometime starts at different times, it's also worth doing a reccee/visit the office the day before so that you know where to go for the first meeting.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all...Megamum, you have obviously done this before! Little Angel
Sorry about the 2 threads...wasn't sure where to post.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hot chocolate, used judiciously, can achieve almost anything.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jo298, Once or twice wink

It get's easier - mine are now 12 and 9 and have both been on skiing holidays since they were three years old. You also need to look forward to being out-skied in about 2 years time, and developing muscles like King Kong until they get big enough to carry their own skis. N.B. the youngest and possibly the 5 year old won't need poles if doing the very first clases (that may also go for the 7 year old), but you will end up carrying their skis and yours until the 3 and 5 year get bigger. Mine just started at around 5 years and at 7 they should be able to manage. However, the younger kids can always carry your poles to make it a bit easier.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahh poles! The other good thing about learning in a fridge (well Tamworth at least) is you start without poles, they say a) you don't need them to start with and b) learn to ski without them and it isn't any problem getting back down the mountain if you manage to drop them off the chair lift or something equally daft. It caused major upset for some kids in a lesson this year when the instructor took poles away for an exercise but my lot didn't think anything of it.
For my now 7 year old even 2 years ago it was a matter of pride from day one to carry her own skis if at all possible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It caused major upset for some kids in a lesson this year when the instructor took poles away for an exercise

Laughing some adults get very stroppy if asked to ski without their poles!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Yep, have seen that as well even from some way better than me skiers!
latest report
Have they got ski socks on when they leave the chalet / hotel / appt?

Check they have their gloves when you leave the chalet/hotel/appt.
Check they have their gloves when you get out of the front door
Check they .........................when you have taken a few steps towards the lift
.........................................a bit later
.........................................when you hand them over to ski school

even on elastic they go awol! and older kids will not have them on elastic.

As said above; Hot chocky works wonders.

Chocky bars

Teach them how to change the vents in the skid lids!
latest report
In our experience ( ski-ing with our kids over the last 12 years ):

- pre book all you can to avoid the stress of the first day ( which was truly awful before you could book all on t'internet ) and if poss fit up skis and boots the night before

- think waht your kids like doing in snow eg bumboarding , snowball fights and set aside time for it and tell them

- keep them in the sun if in Dec/Jan/Feb as much as possible

- beware high alititude

- check body temps if vv cold

- take 3 pairs of goves if poss per child - one for lessons , one for playing in snow and the other drying or for when they loose them

- likewise we took 2 sets of salopettes or jacket/pants per child - our kids got snow everywhere inside ( Decathlon good for cheap ski suits , TK Maxx too )

- carry gloves for kids if poss

- be prepared for the kids wanting/having to do different things according to their abilities

- snow boots good for playing in snow. Keep helmets on when bum boarding as out of control kids can bash into smaller ones

And ENJOY IT - seeing our kids learn to ski , spending time with them and now being left way behind has to be some of the best family holidays ever. And they still want to ski with us .

John
latest report
alltnaha, Thanks John
ski holidays
Oh and sign up for the Aldi and Lidl special offer emails if the kids need kit, their ski offers will be appearing over the next few months for stuff like thermals, ski suits, helmets and gloves and is great value (not just for kids, my Aldi softshell trousers are still fine heading into their 3rd season). It works just as well as the kit costing several times more in a ski shop and even the kids stuff is well made enough that it can be handed down between siblings.
latest report
davkt, If you want the Lidls helmets I find you have to be at the store quickly.
snow report
Megamum, They seem to hang about for a fair while in my regular ones (Derby, Uttoxeter, Riply for Lidl, Derby x2, Tamworth, Buxton for Aldi)
latest report
davkt, Lucky you - my nearest Lidl is 12 miles away and even if I go on day one unless I get there early lots of stuff goes very quickly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy