Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

last seasons snow fall was rubbish :( what are the chances for this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Last year was v poor for snow fall- I went to les arcs and they had 3m that season- norm is 15-18 I think.

Is it complete pot luck as to what this year will be like??

Pardon my ignorance, I'm pretty new to this- last season was my first ever skiing. I'm hooked. Totally.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
billy_boy_2010,Thought last year was a great year for snowfall. we had fresh pow most days out of 15, some with blue skies, up to 3 feet in places too.

Agreed about hoping next year will be as good Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Is it complete pot luck as to what this year will be like??

yes. But if you read the 11/12 snowfall thread, you can join in all the exciting speculation!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bones wrote:
billy_boy_2010,Thought last year was a great year for snowfall. we had fresh pow most days out of 15, some with blue skies, up to 3 feet in places too.

Although the Brit dominated resorts in France had an awful season which tends to skew perceptions. But yes, I remember last season as being pretty good lasting from November through to May and plenty freshies both in NW Europe wink and the Austrian Alps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
its all in the el nino la nina thing... last season was great early on..it just that it then stopped in jan...and the dry carried on in Europe till july..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
billy_boy_2010 wrote:
Hi guys,
Last year was v poor for snow fall-

No it wasn't. Puzzled

papasmurf wrote:
its all in the el nino la nina thing... last season was great early on..it just that it then stopped in jan...and the dry carried on in Europe till july..

You may be right El Ninja /Nono/Nena, but we had no problems, in fact had some awesome stuff dropping for most of the season. Got a bit Frenchlike during mid Jan for about 2 weeks but then went back to pow for the rest
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we had a great oct,nov,dec but then jan till the end of the season was really really poor..remember being on the glacier at zugpitze mid October thinking ooo this is going to be an awesome season..then it turned really dry and fairly warm in France, switzerland and Austria...still some great days...just not as many as should have been.

remember a few years back all the press saying skiing was finished after a poor season and then we had some smashing snow fall in the following years..5 year cycle and all that..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Deux Alpes
Apartment view L2A April 9th 2011

Les Deux Alpes Easter 2010
Apartment view L2A April 4th 2010

IMGP1259
Apartment view L2A April 14th 2007

Haven't got photos from 2008/9 but from memory there was plenty of snow in 2008 (Easter was very early then), can't really remember 2009 but we skied pretty much all the way down La Grave so it must have been OK.

For me last winter, October in Tignes really good, December in Tignes OK, February in St Anton iffy (no snow for month or so before we arrived but a couple of snowy days when there), April in L2A pretty poor (although we still got plenty of skiing in above 2500m).

This winter, who knows.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hasn't been a big snow season for a few years, I think we're due one soon...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, December in Tignes was OK???? It was great, for once we didn't lose a day's skiing due to wind and too much snow Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
Hasn't been a big snow season for a few years, I think we're due one soon...

Scotland 2010 was pretty good, skied every weekend from December till the start of May, skied the last weekend end in May and midsummers day. If I remember right we even had fresh snow on the first weekend in May snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My experienced of how bad the snow was was based on a week in Switzerland and a week in France- in Feb and April. Guess it was good elsewhere and good at the start of the season.

Fingers crossed then! Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and just to rub a bit of salt into the wound billy_boy_2010, heres the snowfall stats to a favourite mountain of mine for last year... Toofy Grin

2010-11
O 10
N 88
D 209
J 29
F 92
M 177.5
A 31
M 27.5
J 4.5
TOT 668.5

oh and BTW, those numbers are in inches... snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also as no-one else has pointed it out, I seriously doubt the normal annual snowfall for Les Arcs is 15-18m Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Certainly my experience last season was very poor - in late January in Verbier, mid February in La Grave and mid March in Gressoney (and late March at Nevis), with very old hard snow making the steeps dangerous and pistes icy.
ski holidays
I was in Morzine in Jan and we got plenty of ski ing but the warm conditions before we arrived became very icy as we started as the temperature dropped. At times it was glass and very bare in places. Not sure how the rest of the season went but the webcams in Morzine stayed green for a lot of the time, so hopefully things will be better this season
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Also as no-one else has pointed it out, I seriously doubt the normal annual snowfall for Les Arcs is 15-18m Laughing Laughing

I'm not sure. Snowfall (adding together all the falls of the season when they were new) and snow depth at any particular moment are very different things.
latest report
If it's snow you want, it's snowing in Tignes right now Little Angel
snow conditions
clarky999, snowball, I can't speak for Les Arcs but as Tignes is just round the corner as the chuff flies its close enough. In the 1970s the average snowfall for Tignes was about 15-18m, over the last 10 years it has been 7-8. Speaking to the locals they believe that it is thsi difference that is having the greatest effect on the glacier vice the alleged global 'warming'.
snow conditions
Maybe WhiteGold's right then. FWIW I think Niseko only claims an average of 13m though, Stuben about 9/10.
ski holidays
Just heard on BBC news that record snow fell in St Moritz overnight... Can anyone confirm?

Ta
latest report
I heard that too. I think it said Switzerland as a whole but St Moritz particularly. Pity no-one can afford to go there Toofy Grin Won't last anyway.
snow report
Yesterday's fall (1st of the season)
Link here
snow conditions
There was a big dump down to about 1500m when I was in Tignes last October. It looked really good right down to Le Lac, some managed to ski down from the glacier. 2 days later there was hardly any of it left.
snow conditions
Quote:

There was a big dump down to about 1500m when I was in Tignes last October

Last October, probably the same dump, I had to cobble together an ill-fitting set of chains to drive from our apartment, at 1550m, down to Notre Dame de Bellecombe. It was quite heavy snow, IIRC - and we didn't have winter tyres on, having driven out in September. We'll be doing it again this year, but this time I'll make sure I've got the proper chains in the car.
ski holidays
Quote:

In the 1970s the average snowfall for Tignes was about 15-18m, over the last 10 years it has been 7-8

Really not sure about this.

I can dig out the chart, but the Val d'Isere website had stats earlier this year which showed very low snowfall for the early 70s - averaging around 4ms, very high anomalous maximums of around 9ms in the late 70s (77/78 & 79/80) and, averages around 6m for much of 80s and 90s and about 5.5ms thereafter. In all though averaging around 5 to 6m for the last 38 years.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Quote:

In the 1970s the average snowfall for Tignes was about 15-18m, over the last 10 years it has been 7-8

Really not sure about this.

I can dig out the chart, but the Val d'Isere website had stats earlier this year which showed very low snowfall for the early 70s - averaging around 4ms, very high anomalous maximums of around 9ms in the late 70s (77/78 &

You are right. 9 meters is a big snow year in the alpes. In 1999, the last awesome snow year, Chamonix got 9 meters total. The last big snow year in the French alps was 2006/7 and was probably less than that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, It was Toussaint week, we got caught too, the transfer minibus we were in was having it's winter tyres fitted the following day. Took us ages to do the last couple of miles.
snow conditions
davidof, I thought 2006/7 was really poor, are you sure it was then.
ski holidays
snow on the local peaks this morning, looks like down to 1500m but the clouds have closed in and its been pissing it down all day, so may the hills are getting some white stuff..though weathers set to get warm again for the rest of the week, so probably a false start for now.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
davidof, I thought 2006/7 was really poor, are you sure it was then.

sorry 2005/6. I've been attacking the wine early tonight. 2008/9 was good. I think next winter will be better than the last but not brilliant, maybe 2012/13 will be epic?

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/retrospective-on-the-2005-2006-ski-season/
ski holidays
problem with the Alps is you can really good snow on one side and wee wee poor the other..then your next trip goes to the side that was good and they have a drought and the other areas get a massive dump, then you think its been poor all season which in fact it hasn't.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

I wish...
snow conditions
I was suprised at the 15-18m claim for Les Arcs too! I have been in Niseko for a 17m season and that is a LOT of snow, we've only had a bit over 5m in Portillo so far this year, and that seems more like what I have experienced in Europe.
ski holidays
Quote:

problem with the Alps is you can really good snow on one side and wee wee poor the other..

and you can have terrific snow in one part of the season and rubbish snow in another. Hence so many different memories.
snow conditions
Yep, pam w, timing and location are everything when it comes to how you remember your season and for the best memories, it helps to be flexible with both.

snowball wrote:
Certainly my experience last season was very poor - in late January in Verbier, mid February in La Grave and mid March in Gressoney (and late March at Nevis), with very old hard snow making the steeps dangerous and pistes icy.

You were a week too late. This was my memory of late March at Nevis ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2675 Toofy Grin
latest report
clarky999 wrote:

That was what the guide told me- maybe he meant feet Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy