Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Length Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
On quite a few posts I'm reading things like: "The Preacher's ski short as the effective edge of the 179 is 158"

Does this mean the 179 ski actually skis like a 158 or it actually has a snow contact edge of 158 and is more like a ski of around 170?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andy H, It's the effective edge (the steel on the snow). There are a lot of different aspects that change the effective edge. Example a 165 slalom ski (trad tip, flat tail) may have an effective edge of 159cm where as a 190 Redeemer (tip and tail rocker) has an effective edge of 100cm.

Quite often, when people say "it skis short" they mean the twin tip looses 50-10cm of the effective edge or the ski design may make the ski feel more responsive thus the feeling of a shorter ski. Normally its the pop and the side cut that does this.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Dot. - ok, so you raise another couple of questions.

1. Pop - is this the flexibility which comes from the manufacturing process and materials used?

2. Side Cut I'm guessing is the shape of the ski - a carve ski versus a powder ski - is this correct?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andy H,

1) Not so much the flex but the rebound.

2) Yes the shape if you look at the ski from a birds eye (not the camber and tip/tail profile). A pow ski can still have a lot of side cut. Armarda JJs are a great example of this. Its the turn radius when the effective edge is flat on the surface of the snow i.e. the natural turning shape.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dot., thanks again - I've much to learn! Can't wait to sample a couple of these skis that members have been talking up, as demos when I visit Utah in Feb. I'd love to find a new set of skis for there and future trips to Japan.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Andy H, you'll love Utah. Demo as many pairs as you can, not just Whitedot as there are loads of great skis out there and very few bad ones. If you're thinking you'll be spending a load of time in Japan in the future, venture on the wider side.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dot., Will do and I appreciate your replies.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy