Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smith I-O VS I-OS? And also which lenses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
well, i've decided i'm planning on getting either some smith i-o or i-os goggles,
i can get the smith i-os goggles for £15 cheaper off vision 3k(£127) compared to £140 for the normal i-o goggles).
is there much of a difference between them?
and also if im going to cairngorms(scotland) for the whole season,(sometimes foggy sometimes sunny) say 30 times in total, what lenses would you reccommend?
i can get two so just say which two you think and why?
OR, if you have any other good goggles you would reccommend that are cheaper and come with two lenses then let me know please.

sorry for the poorly asked poorly punctuated question, english was never my strong point.

thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mag1882, you might like to look at this for lens choice

http://www.sporteyes.com/smithcolors.htm

I'd go for yellow (high transmission) - that's a tint which I have used a lot climbing in c**p conditions, and loads skiing in the last couple of seasons in zero visibility.

and another with low transmission, of your choice - I would go for a brown tint, but I don't think it's that critical with a low trans tint for strong light conditions.

this guy likes the i-o:

http://www.epicski.com/t/76654/smith-i-o-goggles
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mag1882, You can get last seasons i/o here for £98. I've been contemplating a pair myself

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/epages/es122229.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=7958267
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mag1882, Big difference in size between the two , the I/O are a big goggle, best to try before you buy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks a lot everyone, especially neilski as i was unaware of that, if you're planning on buying off sports-outlet fastandicy you can use the discount code SEPTEMBER10 to get it for £88

and valais thanks a alot
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tryed on the I/O,s which were a good fit via squishy rubber flexy frame at 150 in S&R.
So £98 or £88 sounds ok.

Also the I/O,s had a non slot type lens seal at each end.
This seemed a compression or pressure seal of the lens provided by the strap tension.
Very similar to a fridge door seal.
I was not sure on this but guess it works so long as you don,t release strap tension?

Two lens come with I/O,s one being the sensor mirror for lowlight with 70%vlt .

I would like too ask advise in this thread on Oakley yellow lens vs Smith sensor mirror lens If anybody has used both.
As I,m not so concerned about quick change although it was easy enough when I tryed it.

I have crowbars with a yellow lens and was looking for possibly better low light visibility off piste.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 19-09-11 2:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mag1882, I've got the I/O goggles. One of the reasons I bought them was the ability to quickly change lenses, and the fact that spare lenses were available.
The goggles came with two lenses, Ignitor mirror and Sensor mirror. I also bought a Red Sol-X mirror to cover very sunny days. The details are here;

http://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Goggles/Snow+Goggles/Snow+Goggle+Replacement+Lenses/IOS+Replacement+Lenses/view/

Today when I went skiing it started out sunny, and had the Sol-X lens in the goggles. Then the cloud rolled in, complete with flat light, and I couldn't see jack shite. So I did a quick lens change (about one minute) to the Ignitor mirror and I could actually see where I was going and what I was skiing on. The difference was amazing. The lenses are great and the frame fits my Variant Brim helmet very well.

If you're an Oakley fan, this coming season they are bringing out their version of the quick change lens, the Airbrake.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy