Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down and paying tolls etc on Nationwide debit ?

Poster: A snowHead
I know the commission free boon with the nationwide flex a/c debit card is now gone.

Has anyone continued using their nationwide debit - I gather the 2% charge on the visa ex. rate is still likely to be better than the rate I'll get for changing cash on the high street before I go. Anyone used their nationwide debit recently got a view on this ?

Anyway, if you use the nationwide debit card in the peage toll booths do you get hit any other charge, or just the 2% foregin transaction commission ? (ie. Am I right in thinking it's not treated like a cash withdrawl with the £1 per transaction surchage on top - ie. i want to be sure im not going to get charged another £1 at every peage booth I stop at !

I know I can apply for other accounts or pre-pay forex cards but, in a nuthsell, I can't be back-bottomed, so just wanted a view from anyone whose used their flex debit recently.

Ta.

G
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't answer directly, but this thread has useful info - http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/#results
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Post Office card has no fees and gives excellent exchange rates
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers.

To be honest I'm fairly comfortable that the nationwide debit less 2% commission will still give better rates than any commission free cash deals on the high street, PO etc, but just wondered if anyone had used their nationwide debit recently could ratify it. (I know you can get better details opening pre pay cards or, I think, the Halifax now do a commission free debit card, but I can't be bothered switching).

The real thing i want to check if anyone has used it for peage tolls - I want to be sure that counts as a purchase not a cash transaction as a cash withdrawl attracts a flat £1 on top of the commission. Not alot, and find dor drawing 300 quid out at a time, but I dont want to be hit that every time I drive through a peage - ie. I want to be sure a peagte transaction is treated the same as buying goods ?

Anyone any first hand experience recently ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always use my Nationwide Credit Card in Europe, including for peages. No fees at all on that and a great rate. If you have one go for that instead.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I used my NW debit card, after they changed the rules, just the once - cost me £178! Shocked To their credit, they were very clear about how much they charged me - actually noe I think about it, seemed almost boastful rolling eyes

I always use the credit card now - not used it for road tolls in France but have in Portugal with no problem.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hope this helps - I am lucky enought to have a French Card but even on that you do not attract a separate transaction at each paege - they blob them up until you change peage company.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've used my nationwide debit card for the odd purchases and there is only the one charge as opposed to the two charges for cash withdrawals Just checked one was for a peage,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers all, appreciatted Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Santander Zero I use. No fees on purchases or cash withdrawals, there is an interest charge on cash of about 20 odd %.

More info here.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

there is an interest charge on cash of about 20 odd %

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Find that some places in europe don't like Visa debit cards, so usually have both nationwide debit and credit card handy in case..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gazzza wrote:
I know the commission free boon with the nationwide flex a/c debit card is now gone.

Has anyone continued using their nationwide debit - I gather the 2% charge on the visa ex. rate is still likely to be better than the rate I'll get for changing cash on the high street before I go. Anyone used their nationwide debit recently got a view on this ?

Anyway, if you use the nationwide debit card in the peage toll booths do you get hit any other charge, or just the 2% foregin transaction commission ? (ie. Am I right in thinking it's not treated like a cash withdrawl with the £1 per transaction surchage on top - ie. i want to be sure im not going to get charged another £1 at every peage booth I stop at !

I know I can apply for other accounts or pre-pay forex cards but, in a nuthsell, I can't be back-bottomed, so just wanted a view from anyone whose used their flex debit recently.

Ta.

G

the nationwide card will cost you dear as they have a minimum fee per transaction so for small value tolls this will ramp up quickly. They also count as cash advance!
dump the NW and try a halifax clarity card...not used on tolls but lots of places and no charge appears! For cash withdrawals their is an interest charge, so draw a chunk out.
why not pay cash at tolls like the rest of us and hold everyone up at toll by paying in loose change!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get a Telepeage badge.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers.

Actually after a bit more digging I've just discovered I have an old nationwide gold credit card which is no longer avail. and is on old T&C's - has a zero % charge for non cash transactions in euros. Result.

If anyone else still has an old card it's worth checking. http://www.nationwide.co.uk/foreigntransactions

Guess I'll use this for all my tolls and shopping, and my flex account for cash withdrawls.

Cheers
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

there is an interest charge on cash of about 20 odd %

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

20% on £100 is only £2, which is relatively pretty good. Paying for most things on card and avoiding taking out cash is the best way to go I find.
latest report
Grizwald, Errrr, 20% on £100 is £20, do you mean 2%?
ski holidays
Gazzza, Whatever you do, the cardco's wil make money out of your use: It's your job and mine to make sure we give them as little as possible for the service.

I try never to use cards across borders, thus avoiding any forex conversion charges and/or cross border charge which most but not all providers levy. For example if you use a Lloyds TSB debit card for a 1Chf charge in Geneva (no cash/wrong wallet) It cost around 45 p for the parking fee and £1.50 for the X/Border element. There are some good suggestions above and depending upon where you go, the frequency of your trips and to an extent your resources, you will find a solution which fits. I've even managed to get a Visa Elctron card for my next nastyjet flight between Nice and Geneva as they charge err something nasty for the "booking" fee!
latest report
Jivebaby, you'll need to get ryanairs own pre-payment card now - they've changed the rules again.

Gazzza, has anyone really answered your question? For the benefit of others, I don't think anyone has actually said they have used a UK debit card for multiple peage fees at all, never mind if they were classed as individual purchases or cash.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy