Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best airport for St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off topic but I really liked arriving in St Anton at the old station, just like James Bond.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob, +1

I totally agree, and having to wait at the level crossing to go skiing was all part of the charm, it's definitely lost something since all the development. All the new development is so Uber modern, I wish they had kept it more traditional externally. The train station is the worst - looks like a giant microwave oven with the digital clock on the metal facade.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowgood wrote:
jbob, +1

I totally agree, and having to wait at the level crossing to go skiing was all part of the charm, it's definitely lost something since all the development. All the new development is so Uber modern, I wish they had kept it more traditional externally. The train station is the worst - looks like a giant microwave oven with the digital clock on the metal facade.

Agree totally. The place lost a bit of it's soul when they moved the train station. It's still a great place, but think they could have been a lot more sympathetic with the old style when they did all the work after moving the train station.

I thought it was more John Le Carré than James Bond though Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use Zurich, fast and efficient, not too bad a drive up Smile Have also used Innsbruck, equally good, pretty sure it was closer as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The OBB's new rail service is call "Railjet"nigels, , Austria's high speed version, though I think it runs only at normal speed unless on upgraded track, which is being laid but didn't think this applied to the Zurich-St Anton service, so not sure how they saved the time- better signalling, fewer stops? A very good transfer, restaurant/buffet car, scenic route route past lakes and mountains.
I have suffered several delays on early morning flights into Innsbruck, once getting diverted to Munich then being bussed to Innsbruck, also, delayed departures from Manchester due to weather issues at Innsbruck and return delays due to knock-on. The weather problem always seemed to be fog/visibilty, not snow, in Innsbruck valley early morning, I think it is called temperature inversion, when cold air gets trapped at ground level by warmer air higher up. We have all seen it on cold mornings going up the lifts from the gloom of the resort to suddenly escape into clear blue paradise on the mountain!
As mentioned, Austrian Airlines do seem to have the edge into Innsbruck over the TO's service, on one occasion our Austrian aircraft went in when the others were still parked up back in the U.K. Probably down to the pilots more familiar with the approach rather than "a wing and prayer"!
Have had delays at Zurich, though, air traffic and endless circling.
ALQ, yes, the approach into Innsbruck is spectacular-on a clear day!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

As mentioned, Austrian Airlines do seem to have the edge into Innsbruck over the TO's service, on one occasion our Austrian aircraft went in when the others were still parked up back in the U.K. Probably down to the pilots more familiar with the approach rather than "a wing and prayer"!

We were informed by a pilot in 2009 (when we could not leave Inn due to incoming flight being diverted to Verona) that the UK planes do not have the same radar (?) equipment as the Alpine based companies. Therefore the only time I've been diverted in 12/14 flights or so to Innsbruck, it was due to the poor visibility, which the UK based operators could not cope with.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have travelled to St Anton from both Innsbruck and Zurich - prefer Innsbruck as I love the small airport and - so far - have been lucky enough not to be diverted. The bus to the station + train up to St Anton option is easy and frequent enough in my experience. If there are a few of you, and you're not going for too long, it might be cheaper/more convenient to rent a car and drive up - I think it's less than an hour (and you can enjoy the spectacle of ladies' parking spots in the hire-car area - see my pics here http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/21411-the-joy-of-sexism/).

Once when flying into Zurich we missed the train we were due to catch due to late flight arrival and had to wait AGES for the next one - we had time to get the train to town, put bags in left luggage and look round Zurich before the next one went. That was a bit of a pain, so check there are enough trains heading St Anton-wards after your flight arrival at www.sbb.ch/en.

When I was an Inghams rep in the late 1990s, planes were diverted from time to time to Salzburg or Munich, usually due to fog - not so bad if you're on a charter and your transfer will be auto-rearranged, but no fun if you're easyjetting and have to make your own onward journey.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski wrote:
Quote:

We were informed by a pilot in 2009 (when we could not leave Inn due to incoming flight being diverted to Verona) that the UK planes do not have the same radar (?) equipment as the Alpine based companies. Therefore the only time I've been diverted in 12/14 flights or so to Innsbruck, it was due to the poor visibility, which the UK based operators could not cope with.

+1 - the one time I've been delayed in 30/40 flights in/out of IBK was because Easyjet couldn't handle the fog - others (inc BA etc) were flying fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MountainMaid, It's a good hour from Innsbruck to St Anton IME, you'd be lucky/in a heli to do it much quicker.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Munich Lufthansa for me and train/ hire car, also Zurich Swiss and train. Have done Innsbruck a couple of times, great airport and super quick on train but no cheap flights there from the North IME (would be keen if anyone knows of any for future trips??)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29, I got Lufthansa Aberdeen-Frankfurt-Innsbruck return for just over a hundred for my last trip.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, Good shout, will give that a look
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy