Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair to halt free charges for Prepay Mastercard

Poster: A snowHead
Enough people are now using prepay mastercards to avoid the fee for paying for tickets that ryanair have introduced their are own prepay card and will start charging for prepaid mastercard. A few more hoops to jump through to avoid the £6 penalty per flight per pax just for paying for a ticket.

see the lovely ryanair take on this matter here.
http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-launches-branded-prepaid-mastercard

The new ryanair card can be used from 4th Oct

Can keep using prepaid mastercards without fees until 1 nov.

This article seems to suggest in Ireland the new card will not be introduced until Nov 2012 and is first b eing rolled out to Germany, Spain and Italy, so a bit confusing.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/customers-must-use-ryanair-debit-card-or-pay-extra-2877306.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's MoneySavingExpert.com (Martin Lewis's site) on the subject - Ryanair 'sticks two fingers up at passengers'
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ryanair. Their whole business model seems to be, it doesnt matter how much we p*ss off our customers, there will always be more. Surely they must be running out now?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
waynos, I flew RA once. It wasn't a pleasant experience, and I can only assume that their claim to be the "Wordls favourite Airline" must apply only to unfortunate people who live in the Gulag.

Personally I'd do anything to avoid using this pikey airline and would rather have a Matalan Card which is much better as it's completely useless which clearly beats the RA card which carries a cost burden Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Already being discussed here.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You get what you pay for - you may not like him or the package - but as a business man he is a genius. He took over a bankrupt airline 15 years ago and in Jul and Aug this year Ryanair carried more than a quarter of a million passengers a day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have flown with them a couple of times - both totally horrible experiences, the final with additional charges at the airport through no fault of my own (their online checkin system was broken) - so I said I'd never fly with them again, and I haven't, and hopefully never will again.

I know everyone goes on about how crap they are, so all they need to do is book with somebody else, and they'll soon go bust - then the world will be a much nicer place all round!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowsteve, Agreed Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only watch this video if you are an adult.

http://youtube.com/v/Z0rxASx1SxY
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blush
I went to Rimini for a weekend away last year.
Departed Friday afternoon
Landed at the airport (on time) less than 2 miles from the town center
Stayed till Sunday afternoon (took off on time)
Took only hand luggage
Total cost of flights for me and Mrs W = £93 inc taxes and charges

Flew Ryan Air

Seemed OK to me
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Marmot, can't see it at work, but I'm guessing Fascinating Aida? very funny

I'm flying to Salzburg next week with RA (2nd time). I would prefer not to, but:
1. they are going where I want to go, when I want to go (come on Easyjet, lets have a year round service..)
2. they have flights where I want to depart from
3. they were still cheaper than BA or Luftahansa, even with an extra bag and all the spurious fees
4. the flight is direct, unlike BA or Lufthansa

I did read everything about 6 times so as not to make a mistake and I've saved my boarding card pdf on my laptop (unlike sunday when I managed to book an easyjet flight for the wrong date Evil or Very Mad )

If RA folded it would be expensive and inconvenient for me so I suppose it's in my interest to keep using them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Marmot, Laughing Laughing Very funny.

holidayloverxx, I've flown with them regularly this year and not had any problems with them. They are opening up a new route from Manchester to Beziers next year which only means a 15 minute journey at either end for me so I hope they continue.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr Marmot, It epitomises my experience and loathing of them.

If I repeated comments made by pilots of other airlines that won't let their families fly on on RA lawyers would be instructed. For me it was just distasteful and unpleasant, but hats off to them, that's more or less what they say on the tin. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do do folk know we have a RyanAir pilot on snowheads? He's a thoroughly pleasant chap
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, its one of the Youtube subtitled "versions" of the German film Der Untergang (The Downfall) and is really funny in a perverse sort of way. I prefer the Fascinating Aida take on O'Leary's and Stelios' Cattle Airlines.

I gave up with the cheapies after totalling all my additional costs after a particularly disastrous pair of flights to and from Stansted. We decided that it was cheaper AND more pleasant to drive through the night from Munich, even for a long weekend. Only requirement a minimum of 2 drivers. Way cheaper and we could load the car with as much as we wanted in both directions. So crates of Andechs and Steigl beer was bought over, empties returned along with loads of food naughties like proper Extra Mature Farmhouse Cheddar and Stilton cheese, and gammon joints.

I'll be doing it again this Autumn as well to stock up on traditional British goodies for Chrimble as well as making my beer deliveries and ordering a Welsh Dresser which will be picked up sometime in the New Year on another Cheap trip.

Toofy Grin
latest report
Samerberg Sue, I've seen that one too, also very funny

we need to make a plan for next week....
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, I occasionally eat fish and chips on Fridays Shocked
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Were they really cheap (compared with alternatives)? Or once you've bought the flight, paid the booking fee, bag, credit card fee, tea, coffee, water on the plane were you still ahead? Puzzled
latest report
Jivebaby, eh Puzzled
latest report
holidayloverxx,
Quote:
Do do folk know we have a RyanAir pilot on snowheads? He's a thoroughly pleasant chap
He's a real person and I'm criticizing the airline not the pilots, although they are famous for working up to the maximum hours: RA have a reputation for treating passengers and staff more or less equally. That isn't good Embarassed
snow conditions
Jivebaby, yebbut what's that got to do with fish & chips?

Sure criticising the airline doesn't necessarily criticise the people, I just mentiioned it is all.
latest report
holidayloverxx, It was a rather awkward way for me to ask how
Quote:
was relevant: I must admit it required a "leap" to make the connection. Embarassed

Don't suppose you are a Stewart Lee fan BAC?
Puzzled
latest report
I accept that Ryanair can often provide a fair service at a good price. But I never book with them having full confidence that everything will go smoothly or that they won't just suddenly hit me with one of their 'scams' that I hadn't been able to foresee. So it is never a pleasurable experience booking with Ryanair. I also believe that they once pulled an amazingly devious scam that cost my party about £120 and provided us with a lesser service! I won't even bother describing the scam - unless anyone here is interested!

I now always avoid Ryanair wherever I have a cost-effective choice, but I will use them if I must.

Last years court case where Ryanair won a judgment forcing a guy to take down a website that was called 'I hate Ryanair', or something similar, only succeeded because the guy was earning a small income from advertisements from other airlines. I believe the judge indicated that Ryanair's case would have failed otherwise. Until the time of that case I always thought that O'Leary was a just a bit of a clever operator, and I had a slight admiration for some of what he had achieved, now my opinion of him is of someone who cares absolutely nothing for his customers but doesn't like it when these customers tell others of their poor Ryanair experiences. So much of what Ryanair do, seems to me, to be sneaky, devious and underhand. It might be be harsh, but it is my opinion.

Ryanair care nothing for me so I now care nothing for them. If they went bust tomorrow I'd cheer - as long as an airline with a bit more customer care would take their place!
snow report
Mr Marmot wrote:
..... If they went bust tomorrow I'd cheer - as long as an airline with a bit more customer care would take their place!

Given the current financial climate, I very much doubt that that could happen.
snow conditions
Jivebaby, They were the only ones whose flight times matched my requirements. Now it is a lot cheaper, easier and flexible using my car as I have wheels in the UK as well. RA have the unsocial hours at Salzburg and EJ have them at Munich. Depending on where I am working I could manage a full day at work and still get to the airport on time. But the transport situation from Stansted for late night arrivals is abysmal, without a hire car you are stuffed. In the long run the flights were cheap and not cheerful, but the add on costs of transport in the UK was prohibitive.
snow conditions
I find it hard to differentiate between Ryanair and other 'budget' airlines. They all charge for baggage, and have fees for payment. So what's people's issue with Ryanair?

No company survives delivering rubbish services. Ryanair's success is that they focus on providing the VAST majority of customers with exactly what they want - flights at a reasonable price to plenty of destinations. Clearly their model includes selling stuff to customers when they are on a plane! Shocking! Yes it doesn't pay them to load and off-load bags, so if you want a bag tracked loaded, and unloaded then you pay extra - imagine!
ski holidays
eithnem, What you say makes perfect sense. The complaint is the transparency of the pricing table and the ability to make an intelligent comparative decision without undue difficulty. It really shouldn't be a rocket science initiative to complete that process. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
When you've managed to alienate so many potential customers that they either never use you out of principle or only use you as a last resort then doesn't anyone at RA ever think - how much more money could we make if....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jivebaby, They have a very useful link on their home page to a list of fees, it also tells you how to avoid all the additional add-ons http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-tableoffees
ski holidays
so does easyjet http://www.easyjet.com/EN/fees.html
latest report
Ryanair have just announced yet another lot of new charges. http://tinyurl.com/69kyj4c

wink
ski holidays
when are you people gonna get it - MIKEY DOES NOT CARE WHAT YOU OR ANYONE THINKS!

big growth in top and bottom lines, hedge investment against rising fuel etc. - great company, great guy, great that it winds you all up (ever get the impression that he actually quite likes that?!! Laughing Laughing )

GO MIKEY!
snow report
barry wrote:
when are you people gonna get it - MIKEY DOES NOT CARE WHAT YOU OR ANYONE THINKS!

big growth in top and bottom lines, hedge investment against rising fuel etc. - great company, great guy, great that it winds you all up (ever get the impression that he actually quite likes that?!! Laughing Laughing )

GO MIKEY!

Yeah, I've realised that there are quite a few arrogant, selfish, money-grabbing self-serving people in this World who revel in their 'f**k you Jack, I'm O.K.' image.

But I really can't understand why anyone would admire such people.
latest report
Mr Marmot wrote:
But I really can't understand why anyone would admire such people.

rolling eyes rolling eyes anyone? like the Company shareholders maybe??

I just think it's hilarious that it winds so many people up specifically on this site - to the extent that a new users first exposure to the site contains a reference to Ryanair bashing. (is someone rubbing a chopper around here?)

As a past & sometimes current customer of Ryanair, I also find it funny that my positive take on the Company and its offerings continues to be contradicted so forcefully on here, like I will change how I remember it! Business results speak volumes, particularly the top line where passenger and route increases have continued regularly. None of which counts for anything when compared to the experiences of a few snowheads it seems rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:

I now always avoid Ryanair wherever I have a cost-effective choice

that's almost certainly true of all their many millions of passengers.
snow conditions
I think skiers are likely to have a particularly jaundiced view of RA given their very high ski carriage charges and low luggage limits (on top of their other irritations). I don't get particularly wound up by them but tend not to use them anymore. I haven't flown with them for about 4 years whereas I used them a couple of times a year for many years.
latest report
barry it is right that you promote your opinion of Ryanair because it wouldn't be fair if it was only us who have a negative image of Ryanair's business model who were allowed to voice opinions here on SnowHeads. But I can only think you have not yet been 'shafted' by Ryanair. Which is fair enough; you can only tell it as you experience it. Others recount their bad experiences as a warning to others in the altrustic hope it might save them some grief.

I disagree that it is only a few SnowHeads who feel that Ryanair are the worst airline for customer service, the media is full of negative opinions about them and the person who spent the time producing the YouTube video above certainly knew about the complaints many customers have about Ryanair. I would also be amazed if the person who started the 'I Hate Ryanair' website was a Snow Head. No, I believe the general opinion of most Ryanair passengers is that they use them only because they are cheap and in the hope that they manage to avoid a 'shafting' in some unexpected way.

I'm sure O'Leary is laughing all the way to the bank, but it wouldn't surprise me if the laughter is actually just a quite snigger in the hope that no-one recognises him and smacks him in the mouth! Like dw832 above, I also wonder if Ryanair could make even more money with a business model that had fewer people complaining about them?

By the way, just in case anyone thinks that I only ever moan about bad service, I can confirm that I have just returned from a cruise by Royal Caribbean and it was nigh on perfect in respect of customer service and value for money despite a few inconsequential hiccups Very Happy
snow conditions
Mr Marmot, fair dinkum mate, its an interesting dynamic though no? ie bad press but growing business!

back to my original point though and I think it is the most important one - he REALLY doesnt care- he's always done things HIS way, regardless of the feedback. In fact I think he sometimes sets out to annoy folk!

Think I've mentioned this before on here, but he bought a taxi plate in Ireland at a supposed cost of €75-100k, and stuck it to the back of his merc so he could use the bus/taxi lane to cut down his commute to the office at the airport. What's not to like?!! Laughing Laughing

The story of Tony Ryan through GPA etc to Ryanair & Michael O'Leary is an interesting one though - Tony Ryan would have been very widely liked and respected for the most part (think Sugar/Branson) - he brought O'Leary in to move things along when they were nothing more than a small regional, along the lines of completely changing the model in EU away from what were effectively state-run / subsidised airlines. Arguably the catalyst for low fares today (in EU at least), although maybe he didnt make many friends along the way! And i think we would all share the general (snowsports enthusuiasts') view that low fare airlines have played a huge part in allowing us to pursue our interest!
ski holidays
Quote:

Arguably the catalyst for low fares today (in EU at least)

*A* catalyst. Ryanair aren't unique, and weren't first. Copied a model used by airlines in the US (South West Airlines?)

Quote:

And i think we would all share the general (snowsports enthusuiasts') view that low fare airlines have played a huge part in allowing us to pursue our interest!

Prefer the term "no frills". There were already package deals beforehand, where the effective flight cost was ridiculously low (compared to BA, etc.). SO I'd add a few words so it says...
Quote:

...played a huge part in allowing us to pursue our interest independent of travel agencies and package tour operators!

Cheap/Low-Fare now includes major "incumbent" airlines too. My next flight on Lufthansa is similar to the price an airline such as Ryanair could offer, but Ryanair can't even come close on convenience. 20min travel to airport by bus vs. 1hr45 bus followed by 30min train. I know which I'd pick even if there was 50quid to be saved.
ski holidays
andy, not unique but pretty much first in EU as I actually said, therefore being the catalyst in this part of the world no?? And your last point makes the point beautifully - the major airlines have had to follow suit or falter (eg Aer Lingus have pretty much faltered, they tried to come down somewhere in between, Ryanair spawned from aer lingus too through Tony Ryan initially), with a couple of exceptions I suppose who have manged to stay towards the higher cost end (BA?)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy