Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back to stinky liners, now with added molten footbed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I thought that several doses of Febreze over several months would take care of the stink. It wasn't discernible when the liners were dry in the spare room...

After the first day in Chile I realised the stink was still there, hidden, waiting to pounce. So I decided to take action. I remembered someone said on sH that microwaving the liners will kill the bacteria and render the boots fresh-smelling again. It seemed logical, and since I had access to a microwave that wasn't mine (and which wasn't used for the remainder of the trip), I went for it (after thoroughly drying the liners so they wouldn't boil).

I learnt several interesting facts:

1. the "Intuition" written on the tongue tends to blacken first
2. the stink does not go away
3. an important point - (some) glues melt in a microwave. So if you have a fancy footbed with several layers, take it out of the liner before cooking it. Mine has melted a bit and lost some of its shape, besides being solidly stuck to the inside of the liner...can still ski with the boot though.

Any other suggestions on how to de-stink the boots? Freezer? Washing machine? Credit card?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The things you want to do are:
- Kill the bacteria.
- Remove their waste.

Wack them in a freezer and give them a really good scrubbing. The freezer treatment and an occasional scrub works wonders for my climbing shoes. They pong because I'm lazy on the scrubbing but no where the nuclear stench I get if I leave them sitting out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I picked up a anti bac spray in a outdoor shop, seems to work great on my walking shoes..called Bama trainer fresh.. has a special nozzle that makes getting it into boots easier
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
soak them in a bath of dettol. (desinfectant)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon, I'm told by SWMO that the answer to smelly shoes is FRESH cat litter. Pour in at night then remember to tip it out in the morning and discard. Works with trainers too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent. I'm off to fill the liners with cat litter, then scrub the cat and put it in the freezer.

Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy