Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen in Jungfrau

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I'm fortunate to be on my way to Wengen for the coming winter. I'm working for one of the tour operators so have a couple of random queries as follows;

1) I'm in need of some new gear, mainly clothing so would like to check the general consensus as to the quality and range of shops on offer in Wengen. Is it reckoned that there is better choice and better value in Wengen/Interlaken or in UK before leaving?

2) I'm keen to try kite-skiing this year. Any hints as to where to go to get this off the mark in Wengen? Am an advanced skier but effectively a beginner kite-skier with only equipment for downhill. Would like to hire, to help decide if I'd like to buy specifics like the kite!! Any recommended point of contact for lessons?

3) Lastly, any hints for working/living in Wengen? Any ideas outside the box that my guests would appreciate?

Thanks in advance,
cheersbye !!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cheersbye, Hmm not been a seasonaire there though have had friends who've worked there and been many many times.

So to try and answer a couple of questions

1. At current exchange rates almost anywhere in UK will be cheaper than buying new kit in Switzerland, however there are a couple of places you could try, nothing in Wengen in terms of big discounts certainly not early in the season, later on may be different though, however there used to be (not sure if it's still there) a fairly big sports shop a short walk from Interlaken West railway station, come out of the station and from memory cross over the river down Bahnhof strasse, a short journey down that road on the left and there used to be a discount sports kit store, that used to be the cheapest in the area. Ski kit used to be in the basement but it's been several years since I was last there and it may be long gone.

2. No idea I'm afraid, I'm not even sure where you'd be permitted to do so, though the advanced kite skiers have been shown on youtube coming down the west face of the Eiger.

3. There's always a good selection of resort workers in Wengen with a fair number partying till the early hours, however beware of the noise police (I kid you not) who have a very low tolerance for people making noise (even talking ) in the wee small hours.

I'm going to assume the tour opp is supplying accommodation depending on which opp you are with that may be in a self catered rented chalet down a steep hill or you may be in a room in a hotel where food is included or where you eat in a different hotel each night.

As for guests, if they have an early arrival or late depature on a day when they can't ski but have a few hours in the resort, there's a nice easy walk up past the Hotel Belvedere and through the trees (keeping to the road) that eventually takes you to a fantastic viewpoint where you can see right down into the Lauterbrunnen valley and up to the Jungfrau beyond, a great place for some picture taking.

Also for a bit of fun taking a tobogan up to Wengeneralp and coming down the sledge run at the end of the day is great, but do so whilst it's still daylight as it's very hard to see the track in the dark Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks mate, appreciate your hints!, cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you let me know a bit more about the sort of things you'd be interested in doing I may be able to help a bit more
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know about kite skiing, but if you want to do speedflying, I can put you in touch with a few people who know the area well!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Suppose I'd better put up their video, hadn't I...:

http://youtube.com/v/k7BUs3UhpJA
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheersbye, You will either love Wengen or hate it, thats the effect it has on most people.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cheersbye, I think riverman, is right, people either love the area or hate it, it's still very old fashioned in some respects, and some people can't cope with the trains, moaning about the amount of time it takes and forgetting that they are typically covering a good 7 or more km.

It's also an old fashioned resort with little real nightlife, if you can cope with that and like the scenery though, you will not be disappointed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

like the scenery

how could anyone not like the scenery? It's sublime.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, true, but Wengen is definitely a love it or hate it resort, obviously I'm one of those who loves it having been there so many times, but I have met a fair number of people who hate the trains, don't like the fact that some of the blue runs are very flat, don't like the expense of Switzerland etc, etc, etc. Wengen seems to bring out the best or worst in people, there are very few people who go, yeah it was ok, I have no idea why though Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheersbye wrote:
Hi there,

I'm fortunate to be on my way to Wengen for the coming winter. I'm working for one of the tour operators so have a couple of random queries as follows;

1) I'm in need of some new gear, mainly clothing so would like to check the general consensus as to the quality and range of shops on offer in Wengen. Is it reckoned that there is better choice and better value in Wengen/Interlaken or in UK before leaving?

2) I'm keen to try kite-skiing this year. Any hints as to where to go to get this off the mark in Wengen? Am an advanced skier but effectively a beginner kite-skier with only equipment for downhill. Would like to hire, to help decide if I'd like to buy specifics like the kite!! Any recommended point of contact for lessons?

3) Lastly, any hints for working/living in Wengen? Any ideas outside the box that my guests would appreciate?

Thanks in advance,
cheersbye !!

I'm suprised, i didn't think any tour operator still used Wengen as it has a bad snow record?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

like the scenery

how could anyone not like the scenery? It's sublime.

D G Orf wrote:
I have met a fair number of people who hate the trains

I'm one of the odd one. I like the scenery. But I dislike the trains. Not train per se but train as make shift ski lifts.

I've been to another resort of Switzerland. I don't mind train as a way of getting to the bottom of the lifts, once in the morning and once at the end of the day. Just not fancy having to use the train repeatedly throughout the day as slow and infrequent ski lifts.

Though to be fair, trains are avoidable from Wengen. Take the gondola up and ride the proper ski lifts. It's only when you want to go to Murren that trains are unavoidable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
better in Murren
http://www.vimeo.com/21410179
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
better in Murren

I don't agree - it's much more convenient to be staying in the middle of the whole domain. And the OP is actually going to Wengen.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, my post was with regard to the ease of getting to the higher pistes from the village base. With Murren you don't have the long train option compared to staying in Lauterbrunnen/Wengen
latest report
Hi all, thanks for the responses... food for thought!!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned about the lack of activity, nightlife and so on. Last winter I was in Val d'Isere, which I didn't enjoy, so am expecting Wengen to be completely different!! I'd say it's likely that Wengen is, for me, too far the other way. I don't need to be clubbing every night, but I do like a few beers and to enjoy myself!! Just hoping that I meet some good people and I'm sure then it will work out fine. My simple reason for going is that I've done a few seasons and Wengen is a key opportunity for me to go and prove myself and hopefully to move on and up!

Steve Haskew - You're video looks pretty cool, but I can't see myself being that advanced!! The only extreme-kiting I've done hasn't been that extreme! - in a field/beach environment, and only with minimal taking-off! I've heard that the Wengen skiing is pretty flat and, having always been excited by kite skiing, I thought that this winter might be a good opportunity to give it a try!! But yeah, any hints you can give as to where to go would be appreciated.

Chris Brookes - You're video is awesome, looks pretty stunning, and there's no-one about!! Yeah, there are a couple of ops that still go to Wengen. Not many, but I know that Inghams, Crystal and Swiss Travel all still do.

Cheers to all!
latest report
Quote:

Chris Brookes - You're video is awesome

Not quite sure why the bloke in green trousers fell over at the end. Snow snakes?
snow conditions
cheersbye, there is nightlife but it's not a huge part of Wengen, probably because Wengen has traditionally been a resort popular with families with young kids.

As for Wengen being pretty flat whilst there are a couple of spots that are flat theres plenty of slopes arround as well
ski holidays
cheersbye, My daughter did two seasons in Wengen and from what little she told me the people working in the resort had a good nightlife.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy