Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a French resort with good amounts of accessible off piste skiing.....any suggestions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
yag_si_HS is excellent.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or should I say: tnellecxe si yag_si_HS
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, I may be completely wrong about the OP, but someone who wonders if Tignes/Val d'Isere is a hidden gem......?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio wrote:
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

I've heard this piece of advice lots of times, and I still don't understand why doing so is materially more dangerous than picking a line covered in fresh snow with no tracks on it.

They may not have known where they were going. They may have known where they were going, have a pair of 50m ropes and you don't. They may be clueless and have just skied a dangerous slope and been lucky.

None of which makes 'following tracks' materially more dangerous than 'picking an untracked route'.

I get it now though. It's a stupid statement that means nothing at all, and should be rephrased as "don't leap blindly into the unknown".

The "materially more dangerous" part is your own wording, so shooting it down means little.

The statement "don't follow tracks" is mainly aimed at people who don't know or realise all the possibilities that gorilla mentioned above. For less experienced offpiste skiers, following tracks often seems a better idea than picking a line covered in fresh snow with no tracks. The point is that this could well be a false sense of security.

Of course, we could rephrase the statement so it's a bit more nuanced: "if you haven't checked the terrain before, and if you don't have some touring and mountaineering equipment, and if you are on a mountain where there are some extreme skiers and mountaineers, and if you don't know much about reading avy conditions, following others' tracks may be just as risky or in some cases even more risky than choosing your own line."

I'll stick with the original version though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to throw a bit more grist into the mill I find that I concentrate a lot more on where I am and what snow conditions are like when I don't have a guide to follow. Of course that often means I'll err on the side of caution so we might miss out on some good stuff. Guides are definitely a benefit when it comes to scouting out the best snow/aspects in limited time but I guess I need to work on concentration rather than just following when with them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
Swirly, I may be completely wrong about the OP, but someone who wonders if Tignes/Val d'Isere is a hidden gem......?

Hmmm having read some of their other posts you may have a made better appraisal of the situation than I did.

Although I stick by my comments in general. As someone said to me today if two people are in complete agreement then you have one person too many.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whilst La Plagne is rated as an intermediate paradise if you know where to go there is cool off piste, that doent get skiied out like other very well known resorts!! Something to consider!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:

If you read the question properly I wasn't questioning if Tignes is a hidden gem. The two sentences are completely separate.

Thanks anyway to those of you that have contributed constructive advice (you know who you are), it's much appreciated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy