Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Gloves Recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Anyone out there with any good recommendations for gloves which will keep my fingers toasty?

Past few pairs were fairly expensive but I still suffered from cold fingers.

Thanks

Brian
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cold hands. Get a good hat and some mitts wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brianr, My wife has tried gloves, mitts, gloves and some more gloves and always has had cold hands and fingers. Even complained in the Chill factore the other Sunday morning.

Dont really have any useful advice but just thought I'd let you know that youre not on your own mate.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brianr, try silk inner gloves with mitts snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hestra and as backup silk inners, have used them when out all day in lower than -10 and have been toasty snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
roga wrote:
Hestra and as backup silk inners, have used them when out all day in lower than -10 and have been toasty snowHead
+1.heli alpines with silk liners do the trick down to -20/25 for me, but I do have warm hands-spend a fair bit of time with them off to cool down!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brianr, I have a friend who suffers from Raynauds. No amount of money spent on super expensive gloves seems to solve his problem - he uses the "tea bag" warmers, which i find excellent too, inside very warm mitts, the best the Vieux Campeur had to offer, but even during this last, very warm, season, he sometimes had to stop because his hands were cold. He wears good gear - balaclava under helmet etc - but is seriously thinking about electric gloves.

His cold feet problem was solved by electric boot warmers last season - though there again, we have yet to see how effective they'd be in properly cold weather.

Mitts are definitely warmer - and give you more room for the tea bags. It seems ages since I skied in really cold weather - there were some perishingly cold days very early last season but I wasn't skiing till Christmas.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hestra for me too, with some Polartec liners for glacier days. I used to have problems immediately after stops, when the sweat in the gloves cooled and took a while to clear out or warm up again, but with the Hestra gloves I've not had this problem.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brianr,
A quick search will come up with the answer (or to save you searching, in summary Hestra and/or mittens).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will have to 2nd (well looks like it could be 5th or 6th) I used a pair of Hestra Army Leather Gore tex 3 finger mitts (went for the greater mobility). Worn with silk liners at -32'c with out wind chill in and araound Banff Canada during Feb & march and had toasty warm hands.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got a mate with Raynauds as well. Perhaps I'll suggest some Hestra's for her when she leaves the house in winter.

I've got a pair of NF Montana, don't get them if your hands get cold easily.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Friend swears by silk inners for when he's on his motorbike. Another trick you could try if you do suffer from cold hands (or feet) is to wash them in very cold water before you go out, (also works if you rub them with snow) Stimulates blood flow and so warms them up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have Level gloves and they are absolutely fab! It will depend on whether you get cheap basic ones - not sure what type mine are but cost around £70. They've got a vent on that you can blow into to warm your hands up!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hestra.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another part of the equation is to make sure you're keeping your core adequately warm which helps a lot to keep the extremities toasty.
ski holidays
i got some outdoor research inferno gloves which have certainly kept my hands nice and toasty warm, they are quite bulky though and i sometimes think i might as well have got mitts
snow report
Hestra gloves with liners when super cold
ski holidays
snowsteve wrote:
I have Level gloves and they are absolutely fab! It will depend on whether you get cheap basic ones - not sure what type mine are but cost around £70. They've got a vent on that you can blow into to warm your hands up!

Not sure I'd recommend Level gloves I have the Fly's http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/product.aspx?id=6920
They are very warm and have market leading wrist protection (more important if boarding) but their breathable lining is awful, hands come out damp.
latest report
Hestra Mitts - E70 and no more cold fingers!
latest report
brianr, agree that HESTRA are a very serious company who do a lot of research - very few shops stock their full range, and it's worth getting their proper advertising book - and I mean book - to get a grip on their full offer (grip...sorry...unintended pun). I have gone down a very different route in recent years re gloves - I've stopped getting membrane gloves since I suddenly realised that my hands were chilling from sweat not getting out, rather than moisture getting in. I also am a Reynaulds sufferer, and run quite a lot of risk when mountaineering re damage to hands (and toes). So it's a serious thing. When mountaineering there's no issue - big fleece-lined mitts with liners are the thing. But when skiing I need the responsiveness of a glove. So now I use softshell or leather gloves with no membrane and with a thick fleece inner. This usually is the kind of thick 'bobbly' fleece, not the thin micro-fleece. And I buy gloves biggish rather than tight. The two models I gravitate towards on cold days are:

Rab Boltoro softshell glove:

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN80317

and the Marmot exum work glove:

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN70496

this is surprise at 35gbp but really, really good.

hestra do this - and some other excellent leather/wool or leather/fleece gloves including the wonderful 'army' glove

http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/index.cfm?action=shop.detail&pid=723AE785-FF29-08BD-48DABB33DC4D00EE&ref=gbase

This different approach - getting moisture out rather than obsessing on stopping moisture from getting in seems to be a key. Of course, gloves can and do get wet, so I carry one pair of spare gloves for me (and a huge bag of spare ones for the kids).

I'll put up another post sometime about non-membrane jackets - since that's another chapter to the 'right kit' story
latest report
Hestra 100% recommended.
latest report
Dakine Titan`s they come with a linning glove which I have never had to use and Gortex,always toasty and good value aswell.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy