Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booster straps - are they any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone own a set of these? Are they any good? They say that if they are positioned correctly on the boot then you get better response, control and rebound out of the turn due to better lower leg envelopment.

This sounds great but surely is a bit of a gimmick? If your lower leg isn't enveloped properly, then your boots don't fit properly or the liner has compressed over time and needs replacing. I have sprung loaded clips on my Head boots and would have thought that they, combined with the plastics in the boot would provide more control than a glorified piece of webbing strap and elastic?

Having said that, if they are that great I might buy some!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had them on my last two pairs of boots and like them. They are a good upgrade from the standard velcro thingy.

But the real question is; do you wear them over or under the cuff of the boot? Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had some on my last pair of Head boots, due to the Velco top strap failing. I was very surprised at how they made my boots feel more springy and a bit stiffer. I would have settled for just getting the boot top back together, but they seemed to do quite a bit more. I would have another pair without hesitation.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pablito, Yes they are much much better than standard. I have them on both alpine and tele and would not go back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those, like me, who don't know what the chuff you lot are going on about..

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So its a cambuckle strap. About £3 for a pair from DIY shops.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways, +£20.00 for the word Booster Laughing wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pablito historical background:

First
– I’ve taken the recommendation that you use a softer pair initially rather than buy a set at too high a level. I’ve got the 2 strap intermediate set with removable screw fittings.

My current straps are pretty well worn and this replacement solves this issue and potentially the rebound issue combined with slightly looser clips on the cuff (as the strap does more work) –This strategy fits both the research and my feelings that the boots responded better when not done up as tightly as recommended. That way they shouldn’t “inhibit slack at the top of the boot” although I’m not keen to have noticeable slack as I really want to keep my flex engaged all the time with just a variation on the degree/pressure applied. I think the important thing to differentiate is between soft flex boots as opposed to loosely fitting boots which make correct flexing difficult and control even harder. I’m not at all sure what Salomon boots apart from a narrow last around 98 as my heels are quite slim. The flex question will be interesting a.

Second
Just to say despite the average snow last week the intermediate Booster Straps were a hit –My flex was more intuitive/natural and relaxed with bumps which were much better although after a while I tightened them up and really hated the effect, so the advice has been quite good so far. Relaxing them/tightening in small notches seemed to work well although I think I’ll learn more each day.

I’m curious as the wearing/use instructions were rather sketchy –the online pdf guide indicates that the straps should be “worn” around the inner boot cuff, but critically inside of the outer plastic with bindings set loose-ish/certainly not too tight.

Third
I settled on the inside.

Fourth
Bought new boots as the old ones were well old: Went to CEM at Solutions4Feet and went down 2 sizes: Have yet to use new boots in anger so haven't decided whether to fit booster straps to those
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Yes, but the strap is elasticated. Hard to find in B&Q Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Yes, but the strap is elasticated. Hard to find in B&Q Cool

Couple of bungee cords wrapped around then, even simpler.
Hang on, if they're elasticated, whats the point of them? When you lean forward they'll stretch and the boot will move and thats what you're trying to avoid isn't it?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways, That's it - they are a KERS system - they'd better put the price up more for the technology. More seriously I think that's part of the deal - give you more rebound out of the turn or sumfink.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, They allow/support more active flex : Ideal for those that may struggle with flex, which under some conditions really makes knees take a pounding whereas a little more flex lets the boot flex/ski take more of the punishment (as they should) thus making the bumps a lot easier to handle in a natural manner. They certainly made a big improvement on bumpy steeps for me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So they're acting like a bump-stop for forward lean? Lean forward, stretchy-stretchy, no more, stop. Progressive Canting? Like a high-back on a board but in reverse? I really don't get skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stick to boarding then!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
.....mmm, I'm still not convinced and remain as cynical as some of the rest of you, although I have seen that a lot of the slalom racers on the World Cup circuit wear them. Maybe they do work?
latest report
Pablito, They do.....
latest report
CEM wrote:
stick to boarding then!!

That made me laugh, check out Michael Lambert. He uses two on one boot.

latest report
It also answers the in or out of shell question, use two and do both!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy