Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about Gressoney..

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're thinking of heading out to the Monterosa ski area, staying in Gressoney, this season. Looking at the piste map there's an awful lot of red runs and not much for an early intermediate who is comfortable on blues. Is it somewhere to leave until they have gained a bit more confidence or is there enough to keep a blue run skier amused for a week?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The area is particularly good for off-piste steeper skiing - Particularly in the Alagna Valley, but quite a lot of easier skiing in the Champoluc Valley, and even the main (very long) Alagna piste is not that difficult unless it is icy.
You need to be in Gressoney La Trinite (or Stafal - see the piste map), not Gressoney St Jean which is not attached to the main ski area.

However perhaps you might consider Serre Chevallier instead, if you haven't tried it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gressoney is a little peculiar as a ski resort, first it has NO night life, summed up by "you can hear a garage door slam a mile away" so a hotel with a decent bar is essential, plus at weekends it gets very very busy.

In the week it is empty and has a good variety of skiing on empty slopes incl excellent off piste and heli skiing. I have only been once but would certainly go back for the skiing, but maybe not with the "lads".

The scenery is stunning.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob, We don't need nightlife...give Michelle and I a bottle of wine and we'll make our own!

snowball, We're taking a couple of off-piste fans so that's partly what attracted us to the area, the worry was that it would be too steep for our less confident skiers...sounds like they should have a good time too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never been but we're off to Gressoney La Trinite for Christmas week on the 23rd Dec Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Michelle, I had an off-piste week there about 2-3 years ago and really enjoyed it but would only recommend it for the off-piste. I wouldn't advise it for the early intermediate you describe. Having said that, it's a charming village and very different to the typical large French resort - although these may be better equipped for a mixed group. The valley in which it lies is stunningly picturesque. I would say the slopes are quite steep and it appeared prone to strong winds which closed most of the lifts one day we were there. It struck me that Alagna was even more vulnerable in that respect since the main access from there was via a gondola which closed down in lower speed winds than the Gressoney chair. The cable at Staffal was able to keep operating in much higher winds.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball, jbob, DCG, thanks for the input...
spyderjon, have fun Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it depends on how confident the less-confident skiers are. There are plenty of nice blues and relatively easy cruisy reds, but the odd steeper section might worry someone of a nervous disposition. That said, most of the (nice long) runs would be fine for most confident blue run skiers, including the newer pistes down towards Alagna, which is particularly beautiful (the view from the Refugio Gugliemo at the top is amazing - great place for lunch).

Personally, I would choose Champoluc over Gressoney, as I think it it would be better for the less-confident, but still easy for the better skiers to get over to Gressoney and Alagna (better nightlife too). There is one short steep section at the top where the two parts of Champoluc link (by the goat, at the top of the lift that goes up from the initial bubble, at Sarezza), but beyond that, most of the reds and blues are pretty straightforward. The area above Frachey is a great playground of nice blues and easy crusiy reds.

I would not write-off Gressoney St Jean. Yes, it is not directly connected, but a short easy bus ride gets you to either Stafal or Gressoney La Trinite. Both Gressoney La Trinite and (especially) Stafal, are just a bunch of hotels, with no real feel. Gressoney St Jean is a much nicer little village/town, with a proper old centre and some quite nice bars and restaurants. It does have its own small ski area, too, which is good for a morning.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I asked about Monte Rosa in this thread a couple of months ago,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78205

There's some info in the thread itself, plus links to older threads.

Eight of us are going to Gressoney for 9 nights starting 27th Jan. Staying at the Hotel DuFour which gets good recommendations, and is beside one of the lifts
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did my third week skiing staying in Stafal so there is plenty of easy stuff to get around. Have been back twice since (to Champoluc) so there is still lots to do as you get better too.

Would echo the preference for Champoluc over Gressoney for evening entertainment but if you really do make your own then staying in Gressoney means you don't have to worry about getting back to Champoluc at the end of the day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rg1 wrote:
I would not write-off Gressoney St Jean. Yes, it is not directly connected, but a short easy bus ride gets you to either Stafal or Gressoney La Trinite. Both Gressoney La Trinite and (especially) Stafal, are just a bunch of hotels, with no real feel. Gressoney St Jean is a much nicer little village/town, with a proper old centre and some quite nice bars and restaurants. It does have its own small ski area, too, which is good for a morning.

Interesting idea, I've done it the other way, stayed at La Trinite and drove to St Jean when wind shutdown the lifts.....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally I would write off G St Jean. I like to just ski down and walk into the hotel.
I can recommend Hotel Dufour: lovely food, nice lounge with bar and right by the lift and the end of the piste.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Opinions sought re the benefits of the Aosta Valley ski pass versus just the Montarosa pass?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Michelle. We stayed in Hotel Jolanda Sport in Gressoney la Trinite in about 2002. Very definitely ski-in ski-out. I recall looking at the piste map the first morning and feeling a little daunted but subsequently decided that that maybe the gradings were a bit over-rated. Unfortunately the snow conditions were not great - too little followed by a humungous dump that closed everything but it is somewhere that I have always wanted to return to.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Freddie Paellahead, +1 re Jolanda Sport.
Re Aosta Valley pass, bear in mind it takes an hour to get down to Aosta valley and you would probably not do it unless Champoluc/Gressoney/Alagna were unskiable. They offer quite a total area. I concur with the reservations about steepness for hesitant skiers in Gressoney , though we had a mix of off-pisters and booze cruisers and all were very happy. Went twice. For the off-pisters a Mountain Guide is essential.
Oh, and if you want all-mountain/freeride skis ,take your own. The italians don't seem to go in for them---(I am thinking back to Madonna in particular last year)and there are only a couple of hire shops in Trinite--- perhaps more in Stafal ,2 bus stops up the road but that's a complication you don't want.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy