Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sharpening edges the lazy way

Poster: A snowHead
Wintersteiger Discman

TriOne

Anyone own one of these, or has any experience of one, or has rumours, hearsay or gossip to repeat, please?

I just have too many pairs to do now to continue to do them manually Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used a discman regularly (initially I was not sure about it) when my children were plastic racing. I found it very useful, ideally with two batteries. Best to practice on an old ski first. They're not cheap, I expect you're no where near me or you could try mine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The lazy way is to not sharpen your edges...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges, Tony has one... maybe he will be at the hemel champs on sat?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a Wintersteiger Discman, I use it for polishing, not filing. Great machine. TriOne is too expensive.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, Discmans are great, like Crusader, better for polishing, well great as long as there's no major burrs etc but you would use manual labour for that!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From my experience, I wouldn't touch a disc man with a bargepole.

The disc man is not a great way to sharpen the edges. It moves far too readily meaning that you are unlikely to get a constant true angle on your edge.

To get something that will allow you to do the edges well with less effort will be fairly costly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philbo,
Quote:
It moves far too readily
Maybe you need to practice with it more. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gsb, I agree with Philbo, They can move far too easily for great accuracy. See lots being used at dry slope races which is probably OK for that, definately would not use for snow. I have never seen any ski tech using one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got a discman and know quite a few other people who do, and quite a few who edge their skis manually.

Like any power tool you have to be careful how you use a discman and if you use it wrongly you can cause serious (or subtle) damage. With practice (and you do need to practice: different people have their own preferred way of holding it stable) you can be *very* accurate. Comparing edges at the welsh artificial champs this weekend (at which Philbo set the final course), edges prepared using a discman were much sharper and more consistent than those done manually with files and guides (inc Vallorbe guides).

Another advantage of discman over manual filing is that your skis end up lasting much longer as you take off less edge material.

You could always go for a Snowglide instead, supposedly being used by quite a few national teams: http://www.verdonkracing.com/

Apparently Snow and Rock are going to be selling them in the UK this winter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for replies everyone. Anyone else with experience or have any info or opinion about portable edging machines please post it up.

I saw a Discman close at hand at Landgraaf recently, as well as a TriOne and another one (maybe a Snowglide?) that I didn't get to handle (Philbo was about, I should've called him over!). I'd agree that the Discman isn't inherently very stable and that to use it precisely likely requires practise then continued unswerving vigilance. The other two look easier to use, easier to be precise with, more reliably consistent and can be handled in a more relaxed manner. However, I'm unsurprisingly inclined not to spend any more than the price of a Discman as we're not pros nor really all that serious about it. Also I'd like to think that let loose on an old pair of skis for a bit, I'd learn to handle the Discman to get precise results.

skimottaret, thanks, now you mention it I do remember seeing one in his workshop once upon a time, will try to catch up with him somewhere!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Several of the techs (aka 'Dads') for the faster guys at our club have them. When I've copped a feel of their edges they've definitely felt sharper than those done by hand. There may be a bit of an illusion there though as it does put a small burr on the edge - but on plastic that's no bad thing. So I think that's another vote "for". There is an alternative made by Vola that's more like a band sander that doesn't create that burr, but it's even more expensive tha the Wintersteiger. I've seen it used by one the the guys at So'ton - funy that the importer is a coach there Wink .

A couple of guys at our club have a cheaper option, from http://edgetune.com . This is an angle tool that takes a Dremel so you can end up with something similar to the Wintersteiger for less than half the price. The guys that have them seem pretty pleased. I have to say I'm quite tempted myself.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN wrote:

A couple of guys at our club have a cheaper option, from http://edgetune.com . This is an angle tool that takes a Dremel so you can end up with something similar to the Wintersteiger for less than half the price. The guys that have them seem pretty pleased. I have to say I'm quite tempted myself.

I've been curious to see or here about the edgetune, the guide actually looks better than the Wintersteiger however the actual discs don't inspire much confidence if you have to (by hand) hold the dressing stone on the to make sure they're true.

I had once had my skis done with a Wintersteiger, the ski the did coach was excellent, the ski I attempted to do was bloody awful. The guide on it is tiny and easily tilted however as others have stated with practice it seems to be useable.
I'd be more concerned with the Wintersteiger customer service, didn't someone post on here previously about them not supplying parts (?the motor coils) and having to buy the whole thing if it fails?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have both the "Edgetune" and the Wintersteiger. If you are worried about the stability of the Wintersteiger, don't bother with the Edgetune. Wintersteiger is far more superior.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN, do you know any more about the Vola one - name, price, who to contact? Tried to google it but failed.

Can anyone explain the reference on the edgetune website to incompatibility with European models please?
latest report
slikedges, The Vola product is here.
latest report
For the "Edgetune", incompatibility refer to the Dremel tool's voltage and possibly the chuck size. That is the reason why they will not sell the Dremel with the rest of the kit to buyers outside USA.
ski holidays
Crusader wrote:
I have both the "Edgetune" and the Wintersteiger. If you are worried about the stability of the Wintersteiger, don't bother with the Edgetune. Wintersteiger is far more superior.

Any further info on the edgetune? While I'm not surprised the Winterzteiger is better since it's several times more expensive, how have you found the edgetune? Does it actually do the job consistently (after some practice) or do you regret buying it hence you have both?
latest report
betterinblack wrote:

Any further info on the edgetune? While I'm not surprised the Winterzteiger is better since it's several times more expensive, how have you found the edgetune? Does it actually do the job consistently (after some practice) or do you regret buying it hence you have both?

I bought the Edgetune and found it difficult to adjust the height of the grinding stone precisely. Also the way that Edgetune adjust the angle of the edge bevel is by means of sticking layers of self adhesive paper strip to the face of the jig (each layer is equivalent to half degree). To me, that is a bit primitive.
Also, the Dremel tool is screwed to the top of the jig, I found the weight of the Dremel can cause the jig a bit of instability.

Do I regret? Yes, sort of.

One thing about the Wintersteiger - it is meant for polishing, not so much for filing. Of course you can use it for filing the edges. For close to 30 quid for a replacement stone, it is an expensive way because the stone will wear out very fast.
Life of the ceramic stone - you can polish between 30 to 35 pairs of skis with the stone.
snow report
Saw my name mentioned so thought I would add -
Need a certain mechanical aptitude to use one of these. I file then sometimes use for a mirror finish (if a few skis to do) but bearing in mind I am only taking around a few thou off to remove my file lines. As above I agree - for this machine there’s to much inconsistency to use as an edge tool but as a polisher its good but still finish off with ark stone.
I have also modified my guides as they are just cheap crap nylon which tend to take a set from the edge line which isn’t good - (another inconsistency) so I have got some guys to machine up a few more using peek material which is a lot harder than nylon and doesn’t take a set.
Batteries - Winterstiger is still old school they need to take it up to Lithium Ion if still keeping it as a portable tool - you will need 2 batteries and the charger is crap as well.
Seen too many guys not taking back the side wall and then using this as an edger and causing a fire through molten side wall blims - not cool.
Safety factor as well - use a particulate mask (I put an old thread under Snowsports area on particulate masks - read that) as the machine generates airbourne particles which you will breathe in. (the guys above will know what I mean - blown your nose after using one of these..
Up at Loughborough couple months back speaking to Jai and he said the guys use the TriOne on the squad - for those of you that have been on one of my courses recently will see that there are a few boxes stacked in the workshop with an Italy flag on the side... wink
skimottaret, No not doing Hemel Champs (F) has pretty much nailed it this season so we used the British Indoor Champs up in Leeds last month as a cut off point.
*Just a quick edit* - I personally wouldnt recommend this to be used by anyone that doesnt know which way a file cuts as an easier option to edge your skis wink
snow conditions
Quote:

(F) has pretty much nailed it this season

Cool Cool Cool
latest report
rjs, thanks for the link. Can't seem to find it on Vola's own website - wonder if it's been discontinued and if so, why?

Crusader, thanks for your info concerning both machines. Don't fancy the Edgetune! Wrt the Wintersteiger, how (in)accurate did you find the eccentrically set plastic edge angle setting dial? Also how many different stones for it are there/did you try?

Edge2Win, hiya T, hope all's well, good to hear about F! When are you going to unbox the Tri1? Will call to pick your brains v.soon!! Cheers, C
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
rjs, thanks for the link. Can't seem to find it on Vola's own website - wonder if it's been discontinued and if so, why?

I got the impression that it was new, I didn't see one on display at Vola's office any time last winter. Ask Ski Bitz or Vola themselves.
ski holidays

A few hours with a file and welder. Plastic base used to be a kitchen chopping board in a previous life. Angles, base and side edge are adjusted with shims. New stones cost €1.40.
snow conditions
A really good tuto if you can't speak French just look
affutage discman sharpener from myskiroom
http://vimeo.com/27729854
ski holidays
just saw this on sale, no idea if it is any good but might be worth a look

http://www.snowandrock.com/snowglide-tools-af-1-(base-+-edge)/ski-maintenance-+-tuning/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/24214
ski holidays
Err, sorry chaps, just wandered in, didn't mean to intrude, no harm done hopefully,...

Oh, please, put that away!!!

(I'm off)
snow conditions
Hi here is a new grinding machine . check out the video i just bought one from myskiroom.com just easy to have sharp edge .

http://youtube.com/v/iiF3u_u3C0w
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy