Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Damage to the Topsheet - Advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

After a session at Hemel last week I noticed that on one of my skies, the laminate on my top sheet has peeled (but not come off). Now it looks like the core has become exposed. The area is about 5mm in length and 3mm in width, so not exactly a huge amount. But, being my first set of skis and not having this occur to me before, I'm sure you can understand my concern.

Basically, what is the best way to go about repairing this? Can I just use superglue to stick down the flap of laminate that is still attached to the ski, thereby covering the top sheet again? Or would doing this compromise the integrity of the core?

I'm going to be at Hemel all day tomorrow, and with the core exposed (even if it's only a very small area) I hope I'm not going to cause any damage to it.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pro tip... smear a little marmite onto the exposed area.
This should suck all the moisture out nicely (before making a repair)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't quite gauge what the issue is from your description. If this is a genuine delamination, i.e. the layers of the ski are separating from one another then warranty them. If you have just chipped the topsheet, which it sounds like you have, then you can fix them with two part epoxy and a clamp. Cover the repair with more glue if required.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
c0Ka|Ne, superglue won't to it doesn't have any flex, can you post a picture?, you need an epoxy resin such as Araldite 2011, you need to make sure you don't get any moisture into the core, how old are the ski's warranty may be another option
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know why I didn't just post these from the start! But here you go:

Any recommendations after seeing the above?

Thanks for you input so far (especially the marmite tip!) wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's just a flesh wound! Tiny dab of epoxy would sort it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
c0Ka|Ne, asanarchicsaltire, has said just a flesh wound, you can close it up with and epoxy glue then trim, you can get the Araldite that I mentioned from Spyderjon http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers, thanks guys, panic over Blush
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
c0Ka|Ne, this is an interesting thread on the principles of different epoxy - note the issue re the more instant setting ones curing to be flexible - that's true in my experience - I use the twin pack rapid...

http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-263021.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
c0Ka|Ne, at least you know your edges are sharp to put a little nick in like that wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valais2 wrote:
this is an interesting thread on the principles of different epoxy

Is this on a planet I have yet to visit? wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JustJill, ..actually I do get out enough...but it's worth getting a bit obsessed by detail sometimes....in this case it makes it easier to make a repair, to the ski, which is much longer-lasting
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are they newish skis which started delaminated, if so take them back.

If this is damage caused by an edge then I have laminate floor glue in the past and it works, if you think about it wood and plastic which needs to bond, same principle. I am sure their is some super special glue from toko available at 10 times the price, but laminate flooring glue does the trick IME.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edit to above, just looked at the pics, get over it but laminate glue will still do the trick.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2, no offence intended. I was just amused Blush. Only ambled over here out of curiosity after seeing c0Ka|Ne yesterday. Obsession is the name of this game!
ski holidays
valais2, cheers for the link above, much appreciated.

skimottaret, that is true haha!

JustJill, obsession indeed! I'm due another 11 hour session this coming Sunday as well Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy