Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LA MONGIE, anyone been recently?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm after some advice/personal experiences on La Mongie.

My 70 year old father lives in France and he skied in La Mongie last year. He likes the fact that he has found a person who is not only a great host but also looks after his Labrador while he's out skiing during the day. So on that basis he intends to go there again this season and suggested I could tag along.

I've never skied in the Pyrenees so know nothing about it but I was just wondering how it compares to the Alps which I'm more familiar with. It’s not particularly high terrain from what I can tell but neither is Kitz which I enjoyed very much. I'm probably a higher intermediate skier by the way if that’s relevant.

Cheers for any opinions....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 10-09-11 19:25; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dredgey, i have been and found it pretty good not a massive area but some good off piste when theres good snow,If you have a car depending on which side of le Tourmalet you are staying is a good idea as there are a number of small resorts within a short driving distance giving you plenty to go at for a couple of weeks.Im looking at getting there some time this season myself as its such a nice place to ski due to it being quieter and so much cheaper than the alps and the storms can really dump on the pyrenees so you can have the powder to yourself for longer.JMO.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply- sounds pretty promising then! We would indeed have a car as the plan would be for me to jump on a plane and meet him en route whilst he drives down from the Loire. I think the place he intends to stay is just outside La Mongie so its good to know we would have a choice of areas to ski.

When is an ideal time to go for good snow? I normally head to the alps Feb/March but hear the climate in the Pyrenees is a bit different?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dredgey, Feb/March is normaly great then La Mongie is in western pyrenees that use to have some dumps in late season, the highest skiing in La Mongie area is 2877m, the most Brittish skier go to Andorra and its in the easter pyrenees, more a gambling with the snow, so thats is proberly what you have heard about the pyrenees, I live in France and I prefere the pyrenees, France/Spain, the reason is good offpist, cheaper than the alps, less with skier in halfterm, except Toulouse halfterm that can be a little crowdy,,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the reply freeheelskier, always good hear opinions from a native skier. Very interested to learn that you prefer the pyrenees rather than the alps. If the highest skiing in La Mongie area is 2877m- is that the pic du midi and therefore off piste? If this is the case can anyone recommend a good local guide?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dredgey, Yes, its offpist from Pic de Midi,, One of the best freeskiing summit in europe, some interresting couloirs, and look with tourists informations about guides,, , the highest slopes is on 2500m thats good to,,,, but its not so steep,, but snowsure,,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
freeheelskier wrote:
dredgey, Yes, its offpist from Pic de Midi,, One of the best freeskiing summit in europe, some interresting couloirs, and look with tourists informations about guides,, , the highest slopes is on 2500m thats good to,,,, but its not so steep,, but snowsure,,

Thanks freeheelskier, is the descent at Pic de Midi suitable for good intermediates/lower advanced skiers? My skies are suitable but would I be required to have off piste equipment for this type of skiing?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 13-09-11 13:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dredgey, it depends of the snow,, I have take down my wife there in good snow, and she is intermediates skier, and I have seen Seb Michaud ( top 5 in the world in freeskiing) with problem in real bad snow,, a allmountainski would be great,,,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dredgey, take a look at this,,
http://youtube.com/v/FaFHeVxPPN8
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That looks right up my street
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow,
http://youtube.com/v/qEynZ25HKV4

and this is my backyard Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh yes.

Very accomplished skiing in that vid. You?

Do you have to have a guide with you to ski off the top?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, No ,, its not me, but I have skiing there a couple of time, I dont use guide, but I never skiing offpist like this alone, all the time with friends or other,,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look forward to weather updates during the winter.

Could well be on the cards Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow, We can meet up,, I use to look for weather forecasts and go when its good,,,
snow report
Mike Pow, yep fill your boots there, the pic du midi is top class, it's the Bec des Rosses with a lift. I had three days with a guide a few years back very late season lots of hiking but well worth the effort and no one around....
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
That looks right up my street

Mine too! That looks amazing- thanks for the videos.

I have all mountain ski's which are great in powder, but would I require avalanche safety equipment etc for this sort of descent? I know nothing about off piste skiing so apologies if this is a silly question.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 13-09-11 13:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
dredgey, No questions are silly, But for all offpistskiing you will need trancivers etc,,, and never skiing alone,,
snow report
dredgey, without question, go with a guided group and all the equipment will be supplied.
snow conditions
Thanks freeheelskier, and Guernseyfreerider, will definitely take your advice (would never ski off piste without supervision- it was drummed into me by my dad when I was a child!).

Guernseyfreerider, Great to know that an organised guided group will supply the necessary equipment; I had assumed I would have to buy my own.

I've been wanting to break away from piste skiing for ages and this could well be the place for me to do it safely. Bring on the winter!
latest report
dredgey, Yes, Guernseyfreerider, have right here, and when you not are a well known with offpistskiing a guided group will be best for you,,
snow report
freeheelskier wrote:
dredgey, Yes, Guernseyfreerider, have right here, and when you not are a well known with offpistskiing a guided group will be best for you,,

Good to know- this looks good! http://www.mountainbug.com/

Aside from off piste and the Pic de Midi, what are the other local resorts around La Mongie that are worth a trip to?
latest report
Sorry,meant this page: http://www.mountainbug.com/Library/off%20piste%20skiing.htm
snow report
dredgey, Piau Engaly 15km from La Mongie is good, also Cauterets 14 km is a nice place,,,
latest report
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Derby-du-Pic-Grand-Tourmalet/193664220651031
latest report
freeheelskier wrote:
dredgey, Piau Engaly 15km from La Mongie is good, also Cauterets 14 km is a nice place,,,

Thanks, will check them out
snow report
dredgey, Mountainbug (and Mrs Mountainbug) are infrequent posters on here, why not get in touch for more advice.
snow conditions
dredgey, Bareges is probably the best place to get a guide,and the video`s are nicefreeheelskier, im going to have a bit of a trek about this year down there and probably stay at mountain bug`s hotel perfect base me thinks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A nice part of the world for sure.

freeheelskier, Have you skied the Aneto Glacier ?
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., No I have not skiing Pico Aneto, I have look for that beacause its the highest point in the Pyrenees, The glacier is melting down every summer, like all galcier in europe, so in 10 year the glacier will not be there, Have you skiing Pico Anieto?
snow conditions
freeheelskier, I've never had the chance I'm afraid. It's visible from Baqueria so I've always fancied a look. Some photo's here from another snowhead

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54875&start=240#1535244
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
dredgey, Mountainbug (and Mrs Mountainbug) are infrequent posters on here, why not get in touch for more advice.

Thanks ColinB I'll do that, I thought I'd recognised the name!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 12-09-11 19:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
meandrew wrote:
dredgey, Bareges is probably the best place to get a guide

Thanks for the tip Meandrew.
snow conditions
Just found this thread, thanks for posting those videos - will have to do that run at some point this winter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy