Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2011/12 Snow Report

Poster: A snowHead
Time this was up and running I reckon, even if I won't be in the Hoff until Jan 21
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And snow forecast for next week Smile

And I know, it will all be gone again,....but 30cms for Hintertux will be useful.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latest forecasts suggest Hintertux could get nearer two foot at altitude and a foot in the valley. Nice place to be in the second half of the week when the sun comes out... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen, just looked at the webcam at the top... big flakes hitting the lens. Needs all of that two feet though. last week it just looked like a nasty grey mess.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's snowing outside my window... at 570m Shocked Can't see where the snow is actually sticking to the ground, the cloud level is down to about 600m.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Deep-into-the-cold-mountainas-heart/1797806
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen: What's going on with all the blurring on the photos Puzzled IMO, they are ruined....

Still, I could just about see enough powder to make me wish I was there!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict wrote:
nozawaonsen: What's going on with all the blurring on the photos Puzzled IMO, they are ruined....

It's an arty-farty photographic effect, innit? rolling eyes
Edit: The rolling eyes refers to the effect, not your comment which I totally agree with.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking good for this weekend too.

I'm thinking about heading out on Sunday/Monday with my son.

Previously I've stayed in Mayrhofen but with several drivers we could take turns driving and the rest of us could enjoy the après in the tavern.

This time I'll be the only driver so thinking just of billeting in Tux.

Any recommendations?

And do we all agree that if they do get the forecasted 60cm it will be worth it? Any chance they could open up to the second station - or is the naively optomistic?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I skied in Hintertux yesterday. Weather conditions were interesting... Very windy, with chunks of ice blasting into your face, flat light and variable visibility. The snow was good though. The piste to the Tuxer Fernerhaus was great!
It is the Freeheeler European Opening this weekend, so there were plenty of very, very good telemarkers zooming around. Good to watch.
Apparently, the new gondola that is replacing the old two chair on the Gefrorene Wand will be ready to go in about 4 weeks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in hintertux for a week ending last saturday05/11/11. Halfto to say that i was a little dissapointed with the snow, there was only a tiny bit more snow than there was in May when i was last there. The Park was great though! Friday was the only day it got windy, with a whiteout in the afternoon. Was blessed with the weather the rest of the time. I was a tad warm and at times it felt like spring skiing! Overall i would give it a generous 7 out of 10. Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lovely snow in Hochfuegen today... and more snow is forecast Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SaraJ, Been waiting for this thread to come to life , looking forward to your updates for the next month, until we get out there , have a great start to the season snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied in Zell Am Ziller this afternoon and the snow was lovely and grippy.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plenty of snow in Mayrhofen and Zell am Ziller today-light fluffy powder, first thing this morning was lovely before it got all tracked out on the piste. More snow (a considerable amount I think) to fall tomorrow. It dumped all day today, I think probably about 20-30cms, it was deeper in some places than others though.
ski holidays
SaraJ,

Hi Sara, sorry to bother you, I see you are based in Zillertal somewhere, we are looking for accomodation 26th to 30th December 2011, would you have any useful information as to where to look or who to contact? Not really fussed where we stay, as we will have a car, but Zell looks nice.
snow report
neilkav, these guys might have a free apartment:
http://www.camping-hochzillertal.at/Appartements.8.0.html
as someone from our party has had to cancel
snow report
thinking of booking for zell in jan nice to here there is plenty of snow . looking at the neuwirt.
ski holidays
It has dumped all day today, there is even more snow now for those going out to Zillertal over Christmas and New Year week. The town of Mayrhofen is a bit wet and slushy tonight, but higher up the snow falling was fluffy snowflakes.

Tomorrow is my last day so I'm hoping it might brighten up a bit, then again the vis wasn't that bad today despite the incessant snowfall. In Kaltenbach I think they must have had about 30-40 cm today Puzzled
snow conditions
Sounds good. T minus 2 weeks and counting... (thinking Kaltenbach again, but got car so can go elsewhere too. Will steer clear of those crazy sled races in Zillertal Arena though)
latest report
neilkav, Try looking on www.zillertal.at that is the tourist office website. Everywhere is really quiet at the moment, although I expect everyone will be arriving at the weekend for New Year.
Fantastic skiing today in Hochfuegen. Not much visibility but great snow Very Happy
latest report
Any advice on where to look for hotels in Kaltenbach? I tried the web site, but it seems to be very broken (it could be me!), A nice 3-4 star near lifts with B&B and decent sauna is the criteria for end Feb (after Fasching)
ski holidays
gortonator, Are you talking about the www.zillertal.at website? The Available Accommodations search area on the right hand side of the webpage seems to be working OK for me - select English language button in top RH corner of the webpage, on the Available Accommodations region select "Erste Ferienregion im Zillertal" (that doesn't get translated but it's the Kaltenbach/Hochfugen and Fugen ski area), then select your dates and room requirements. Madeye-Smiley

Two 4 star hotels in Kaltenbach are the Hotel Post (I've not stayed there but I've eaten in their restaurant and the food is very good) and the Hotel Seetal, or for 3 stars there is the Hotel Hochzillertal and the Hotel Garni Klocker. All of these are near to the lift gondola, and according to the Zillertal accommodation brochure which I have (and which you can order from the www.zillertal.at website) they all have saunas (the Seetal also has indoor and outdoor pools).

By the way if you are flying from the US into Munich, I don't know if you were intending renting a car, but the train transfer to Kaltenbach is very easy - S8 light rail line from Munich airport to either Munich Hauptbahnhof or Ostbahnhof then train to Austria, change at Jenbach onto the narrow gauge Zillertalbahn to Kaltenbach. You can buy a ticket from DB

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
Dumping in Hochfuegen today Very Happy
Snow on piste was fantastic, visibility was shocking!
Neilski, It's starting to look good out there Toofy Grin
latest report
SaraJ, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin merry xmas, have a white one snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, Thanks, I'll try site again, could've been a browser issue or something silly like that. Or me ...

Have been to Hintertux before and yep, we trained it from Munich. Did ski one day at Kaltenbach and really liked it, hence keen to return and stay at that end of the valley. Will did around for options over next few days. Have to suffer a few days at Revelstoke and probably Kicking Horse first, And yep, it's finally started snowing here again Wink
snow conditions
gortonator, The sites don't seem to like being viewed on a mobile or iPad , but ok on p.c. snowHead
snow report
just booked for hippach for the 14 jan . keep the snow coming Little Angel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to let folks know - I arrived in Zillertal on Xmas Eve (staying in a nice B & B in Uderns), and skied at Kaltenbach Xmas Day, and this morning skied on the slopes at Fugen (Spieljoch area) then caught the bus from Fugen up to Hochfugen midday and skied there most of the afternoon then finally then skied over to Kaltenbach (which is linked with Hochfugen).

The pistes are in excellent condition, and there is plenty of off piste snow. It was the first time time I'd been to the Fugen Spieljoch area, which is a lot smaller area than Kaltenbach/Hochfugen area, but still very pleasant. I caught the first skibus from Uderns at 8:15 and was on the top of the Spieljoch slopes by 8:50, so was able to experience the newly bashed cordoroy pistes with very few others about. Madeye-Smiley

Both days tended to be blue skies and sunshine in the morning, with a bit more cloud developing in the afternoon.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, In hochfugen in a couple of weeks for the first time , any pointers would be great snowHead
snow report
Neilski wrote:
Alastair Pink, In hochfugen in a couple of weeks for the first time , any pointers would be great snowHead

Are you actually staying in Hochfugen? If so, whilst it's great for getting onto the slopes early and beating the crowds, it's a bit isolated at the end of a road from Fugen that the skibus takes about 30 mins to do. There's only a few hotels and restaurants there, so apres ski might be a bit quiet.

Essentially Hochfugen has skiing on the two sides of the valley it is located in. On the right hand side there are a couple of short blue runs served by drag lifts for beginners, and then higher up there are some nice blues and reds served by the 8er Jet gondola (which starts from the Hochfugen base area). From the 8er Jet you can catch the Hochfugen 2000 chair which goes up to 2330m and from where there are some nice blues (Pistes 11, 12 & 13) adjacent to which there is plenty of easily accessible off piste. The Pfaffenbuhel chairlift which also starts from the Hochfugen base area gives you access to two black runs 6 & 7. On the left hand side of the valley the Holzam chair and the newer Zillertal Shuttle gondola serves red runs 1, 2 & 3, and black run 4. The Zillertal Shuttle also provides the link across to the Kaltenbach ski area - from the top of the Zillertal shuttle at 2501m take run 13. After a short distance you reach the Wedelhutte restaurant (which has a great location with good views) and then you can take either the red or black run variant of run 13, followed by the Topjet chair which brings you into the Kaltenbach ski area.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
mayrhofen webcams are showing quite a bit of snow falling. keep it coming snowHead
latest report
Alastair Pink, cheers for that, yep we are staying in one of the hotels in hochfugen, apres will be limited but we are happy to have the direct access to the skiing and we have a car so plan to have a look round whilst we are there , on the piste map the area betwen the holzam chair and the zillertal bubble is shown as a freeride area ,is this a controled itinary or full off piste area, looks fairly easy to get back down to the base, but looks can allways be decieving Puzzled is this area easily served from the lift or is there much traversing involved ???
latest report
Dumping again in Hochfuegen... Lovely, fluffy, fresh snow Razz
Neilski, The area between Holzalm and the Zillertal Shuttle is off piste. It is possible to ski off the side of the piste to reach it. There are a few little gullies and other obstacles amongst it, though they are generally easy to spot. Getting back on piste is not difficult so long as you know the general direction to head. There are also more remote parts that you need to traverse to get to, though it would probably be better to go there with someone who knows where the bridge over the river is Shocked
ski holidays
SaraJ, cheers , will plan to explore that with you guys, and just use the side country for practice. great news about the snow thats falling snowHead enjoy it and have a fab new years weekend.
ski holidays
SaraJ,looking like some serious snow coming your way next week snowHead pm sent
latest report
looks like theres plenty of snow falling in mayrhofen. though it`s hard to see much on the webcams except white Shocked
latest report
tim000, great news snowHead 10 days and counting Laughing
ski holidays
Neilski wrote:
tim000, great news snowHead 10 days and counting Laughing
same here. we must be there at the same time. 14 jan?
ski holidays
tim000, 14th yep, out from manchester , to hochfugen how about you snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy