Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to fields in Utah, 4x4 or conventional vehicle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

New to the forums and headed to Utah for first time as well, have enjoyed my reading of posts on many topics.

I was hoping to get some hire car info, we expect to be spending a bit of time skiing Snow basin and a run to Powder mountain looks appealing.

just wondering would conventional 2 wheel drive car be legally required to carry chains or likely to need chains driving to these locations from Ogden area?

Would we be better to hire a 4 wheel drive?

and finally can anyone point us to a good reliable local rental mob who can rent at a good rate, we dont need new car just reliable with a heater. anyone doing something a bit more used at cheaper rates?

thanks for your advice

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 10-09-11 2:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I spent a season at Park City and drove to all of the ski areas with the exception of Brian Head.

Regular 2-wheel drive. Never chained up. Never got stuck.

If the signs were flashing for chaining up then I'd park at the base of the canyon and get the free bus up.

If there's a group of you (4 or more) then stump up for as big a vehicle as you can. Will make the commutes more comfortable.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
f the snow is bad, the gates get shut and the road is closed. Was glad of 4*4 a couple of times coming back down from epic powder days though
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richo, You dont actually legally need a 4x4 to get to either Powder Mountain or Snowbasin, but if they get a lot of snow around there its very advisable - access roads only service the mountains, and the car park at Powder can be fun too Madeye-Smiley Theres plenty of places on those roads you could slide off too.

Hire companies dont like you using chains on their vehicles either. If you head to the Cottonwoods and there is a lot of snow the Police stop anyone without AWD/4WD or chains going up either canyon. you have to park up and take the bus, or hitch. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
4WD is a distinct bonus - as Bones has said the police do patrol the base of the Cottonwoods.

I have taken a 2WD up to Alta plenty of times without them, but always in clear weather. I would most definitely not want to be up there ill-equipped in a snow storm.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Might as well save your money and hire a 2WD, the American's don't make a decent 4x4 anyway. I hired a Ford Expedition once, big V8, put your foot down it just made more noise. Total pile of crap.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I was in SLC a couple of years back we hired a Ford Flex which is a ridiculous looking thing but fit 6 of us in with all our gear and had enough 4x4 ability to get us around despite it snowing 3 1/2 feet in 24 hours, didn't cost more than a Renault Twingo when I hired one in France last year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was glad I had a 4x4 in Utah in 2010. But it was a Ford POS.

Funny that in JH we usually end up getting a scooby from Alamo, different customer markets I guess.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Ford Flex which is a ridiculous looking thing

rggdxb, Over sized Mini - saw plenty 2 years ago but none this year so must have not been popular Smile

SUV's arent that expensive to hire over there especially if you are splitting the costs - fuel too is dirt cheap, with roads easy to navigate you can acess plenty of places.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy