Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SALOMON Enduro LX 800 2012 Skis + Z10 Bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi been looking at buying my first pair of ski's and been looking at these. Anyone tried them or have any opinions on them or any alternatives for similar money? I am no expert skier yet more like an advanced intermediate and am after an all mountain ski that i can have fun on and dont have to work too hard! but also dont want to be buying new ski's in a year or two if i get a lot better and there not good enough...

I enjoy carving on groomed pistes. not done any off piste but gonna get into it this season...

any thought's and advice greatly appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking at these too if anyone has any info. I am in exactly the same position as you.
I am not sure these will be much good off piste though?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Waiting for reviews on them as well, but I think I'd be more inclined to get the Enduro RX 800, on paper they seem closer to to last year's Salomon Tornado Tis (which I currently use, and I think is what you are looking for ryan110398 ). If you check out the reviews for the The Tornado Tis, you'll see what I mean. Great on piste, and flexibility for off piste as well, and suited to your level.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/87lHjqENbrU
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry to drag out an oldish thread, but have some info which may be of use!
Talking to the guy who runs our local ski shop (Skee Tex in Battlesbridge,Essex, very friendly helpful folks & great boot fitting service!), when I was looking for new skis & he was raving about the Enduro RX800 & the one up from that, I forget the name, but it's black if that helps. He was saying they were amongst the best skis he'd ever used & he's tried just about everything going, but having discussed my ability & particularly size & weight, he was good enough to point out that at 5' 6" 10 1/2 stone & 54 years old, despite having around 25 seasons experience, I wouldn't get the benefit of the additional weight & stiffness of the RX800 & it's bigger brother, & that, for me, the LX800 was going to do virtually the same job for much less money - I hope he's right as I bought them - they did a very good deal too as my wife bought Rossignol Temptation 78's at the same time.

Not tried them yet, but if we ever get any snow, may be taking them out for a pre Xmas bash in the French Alps - I will try to remember to report my findings!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok quick review of the LX800's from someone who is far from expert (me!) based on 5 days of mainly on piste skiing at Val Cenis just b4 Xmas, to see what I'm comparing with, my previous skis were Elan Terminator SCX "slalom" skis (only 65mm underfoot & 10m turning radius) & I've had them (second hand) about 8 seasons skiing one week a season - the snow was all very fresh & frequently not bashed, or at least not recently bashed.

My initial impressions were that they were massively different from the old Elans I had grown so used to, they felt longer & heavier (which they are at 161 cf 153, haven't weighed them but they are obviously substantially heavier just from feeling the weight when carrying them) & I thought I may have made a mahoosive mistake, I felt I was really having to work to control them all the time rather than being able to just point & ski. However after a couple of hours on them everything started to feel a bit more natural & I grew more comfortable with them. By the second morning I was starting to really push on with them & biggest obvious difference was the amount of bite they had on steep & icy stuff which I was simply carving across whilst watching many others slip sliding around (the Elans tho' well used had been well serviced & had excellent edges, but would never have gripped like the Salomons were). They were also obviously miles better on the thick fresh snow & off piste where, although they aren't fat enough to really float, they nevertheless gave sufficient support & control to feel fairly confident on. As the week wore on & my confidence with them increased I found that they are actually very easy to get on with & if you're not big/heavy or extremely fast/aggresive/experienced I honestly doubt you would gain significantly from spending the extra on the RX800 or 850.

All in all a good all rounder, & I'm well pleased with my purchase, tho' will reserve final judgement till I've found some proper moguls to play with - there simply weren't any worth talking about whilst I was at val Cenis
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Russbost wrote:
Ok quick review of the LX800's from someone who is far from expert (me!) based on 5 days of mainly on piste skiing at Val Cenis just b4 Xmas, to see what I'm comparing with, my previous skis were Elan Terminator SCX "slalom" skis (only 65mm underfoot & 10m turning radius) & I've had them (second hand) about 8 seasons skiing one week a season - the snow was all very fresh & frequently not bashed, or at least not recently bashed.

My initial impressions were that they were massively different from the old Elans I had grown so used to, they felt longer & heavier (which they are at 161 cf 153, haven't weighed them but they are obviously substantially heavier just from feeling the weight when carrying them) & I thought I may have made a mahoosive mistake, I felt I was really having to work to control them all the time rather than being able to just point & ski. However after a couple of hours on them everything started to feel a bit more natural & I grew more comfortable with them. By the second morning I was starting to really push on with them & biggest obvious difference was the amount of bite they had on steep & icy stuff which I was simply carving across whilst watching many others slip sliding around (the Elans tho' well used had been well serviced & had excellent edges, but would never have gripped like the Salomons were). They were also obviously miles better on the thick fresh snow & off piste where, although they aren't fat enough to really float, they nevertheless gave sufficient support & control to feel fairly confident on. As the week wore on & my confidence with them increased I found that they are actually very easy to get on with & if you're not big/heavy or extremely fast/aggresive/experienced I honestly doubt you would gain significantly from spending the extra on the RX800 or 850.

All in all a good all rounder, & I'm well pleased with my purchase, tho' will reserve final judgement till I've found some proper moguls to play with - there simply weren't any worth talking about whilst I was at val Cenis

Brilliant review!
I'm looking for new skis at the moment and this info is great!
I weigh the same as you so the bit about not getting the extra benefit from the RX's over the LX's could seems crucial
Thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to add to my original comments, having now had a week out in the 3 valleys back at the start of Feb I can now confirm they also handle moguls well & whilst I'm far from good off piste, they seemed reasonable in the fairly fresh stuff that was down & would crash thro' the mushy stuff towards the end of the day too.
At the end of the week I was skiing better than I've ever skied in my life & at my age I wouldn't really expect to be progressing much, so I'd have to put the bulk of improvement as being down to the skis. About the only possible critiscism was that they tended to "chatter" slightly at very high speed, not sure that "chatter" is quite the right word as the movement is side to side not up & down, however this was only in excess of 50mph (according to Alpine relay) so not a problem I was coming across often, it takes a fairly deserted schuss for me to hit those sort of speeds Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good to hear that you are getting a lot out of your LX800's, having just bought the same on the the advice of an independent ski shop. I am about the same age 55, intermediate skier. The guy at the shop and other reviews I had seen said they are suitable for older/heaver skiers. I've only been skiing a few seasons, so not as accomplished as yourself. This are my first purchased skis so I will probably nip up the the Snowdome and try them out before braving the pistes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy