Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some very nice skiing with a few drills thrown in ;)

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/qACtyd8nmA8&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-09-11 21:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What I love is that someone can look so relaxed and yet so dynamic at one and the same time. Beautiful.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very smooth indeed. Lovin those dolphin turns!

But NO helmet Shocked Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's exactly how I (imagine I) ski!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It makes me sick how good some people are
But I love the clip Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, I'm not exactly sure how to break this to you, but................
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He does have a weaker turn side though.....that of course is completely relative!! Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CSIA L4? Liked the skiddy javelins and the horsetwist drills (they scare me).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, What are horsetwist drills Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glen Charman, some examples about 18-20 seconds in to the video. As you start the turn you twist your skis against the direction of travel so the tips point straight down the fall line (at this point they need to be relatively flat as they are travelling sideways), then you twist them back again in to the normal direction for that turn. The potential to catch an edge and take a massive faceplant is enormous, and doing them at speed is scary. I think they are called horsetwist turns, although other people might have different names. Cloudburst turns are another variation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Could be good fun at a performance just have the ambulance on stand by Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glen Charman, Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pfft....easy in snow that soft plus a bit of window winding going on at 1.16 wink

What's a dolphin turn?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, his white pass turns were very sweet as well as the cloudbursts...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:
white pass turns.....cloudbursts...

Now you are just showing off!! Razz
latest report
did I see some nice jet turns as well, or are these called something different now a days wink
snow conditions
Touchguru, i suck at both of those lets have a go at some high speed cloudbursts at hemel, i havent had a bad crash in ages (oops just remembered i smashed up big time a couple of weeks ago) NehNeh
snow conditions
jet turns are otherwise known as ollies and dolphins in my book. Cloudbursts / horsetwists / drift turns / Thomas Grandi / World Cup turns (as that is what they are) - are all names for the same things.... race courses are set these days that do not allow pure carving from a - b therefore they must be blended with rotation to get he steering angle into the next turn - however if you rotate and skid you loose speed therefore rotate and skim (hence Rob@rar) talks about the danger of catching an edge!
ski holidays
fatbob, first video i have seen with a guy making nice short turns on fattish skis...

Here is a yank explaining dolphin turns

http://youtube.com/v/-WWkKOSoYEs
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

fattish skis...

I must resist a comment Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
.... lets have a go at some high speed cloudbursts at hemel...

You first!!!!!! wink
snow report
Quote:

skimottaret wrote:
.... lets have a go at some high speed cloudbursts at hemel...

On some fattish skis Scott wink
ski holidays
Betcha fast cloudbursts are easier on a Redeemer/Flyswatter/Hellbent/Bentchetler type ski than a supertuned slalom toothpick as those puppies are built to slide sideways when necessary.
snow report
skimottaret, rob@rar, what's that drill he's doing towards v end 1:40 - 1:55?? Seems to bring back memories of that stuff in Meribel 2010, well kind of... wink
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino, 140 was what we would call storks and followed by javelin turns

fatbob, they are easier on fat skis as race skis want to find an edge
ski holidays
Quite good but he needs to get his knees and feet closer together if he wants to look a little smoother. Nice balance though.
latest report
All us 1-2 weeks a year holiday skiers don't stand a chance ever skiing like that - it's quite depressing really Sad He's a good skier and that guy doing the dolphin turn seemed to be just demonstrating a recipe for disaster, who in their right mind would want to do that sort manoeuvre on a voluntary basis?!
snow report
Megamum, Don't really agree. It's hard to be refined on the drills but a regular holiday skier could aspire to the levels of dynanism shown on the more gentle pistes if they worked hard enough on their athletic ability and were prepared to accept that skiing is a matter of constant movement/adjustment and "feel" not just fixed movement patterns. Not a lot of stiff parking and riding going on from him which is where most holiday skiers fall down IMO.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, hoping you go to EoSB next time, and if so I might just remind you of that comment above as you slither down that entry 'piste' from hotel on them phat Whitedots wink
latest report
DoubleBombardino wrote:
fatbob, hoping you go to EoSB next time, and if so I might just remind you of that comment above as you slither down that entry 'piste' from hotel on them phat Whitedots wink

That wasn't desperate scrabbling for control with brown trousers that was flowing pivot turn luvliness wink
ski holidays
fatbob, all that loverly sliding accompanied by a soundtrack of gurl-like squealing too IIRC! poo-poo but that was the trickiest slope of the week nay all time...
snow report
Megamum wrote:
All us 1-2 weeks a year holiday skiers don't stand a chance ever skiing like that - it's quite depressing really

I feel like that too Sad . The dolphin turn thing made me laugh though. "Just do this!" he says, demonstrating on the spot, what to do. Yeah, OK, fine. "Then, just do it in the bumps!" Yeah, right ...... rolling eyes . Oh, how I laughed! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Quote:

a regular holiday skier could aspire

anybody could aspire..... but yes, a young and athletic skier who took really high quality lessons all through all their holidays could get very good. Or older, less athletic skiers, who take lessons all through their holidays could get quite reasonable. anybody who spends their time cruising pleasantly around, covering the mileage, without tuition (a most pleasant way to spend a week - I'm not knocking it) has no chance.

Those dolphin turns make me feel tired just looking at them. But then I gave up the aspiration of being any good in bumps long ago. Getting down them with legs together (ie not one leg up on top of bump, other down in the valley) under control and not falling too often, is the limit of my ambition. I think another ten lessons, focussed on bumps, might get me there!

Nice to see ski vids being posted. The season approacheth.... snowHead
ski holidays
Plus, what is it about skiing that makes ordinary mortals feel its depressing not to be able to perform like the top people in the sport? I enjoy a swim at my local leisure centre, or the sea - when it's warm enough - but don't stop to feel depressed because I'll never be any good at it. I haven't had a swimming lesson since I was 12 - and I suspect it's going to stay that way. I've just been for a ride on my bike, but am not feeling depressed because I'm not Lance Armstrong.
ski holidays
pam w, Possibly because when you are in the pool you are not as visible as you are mostly submerged, and when you cycle you are only rarely seen for a small amount of time by any other road user. On an averagely busy piste any number of folks can watch you ski past or sit in a restaurant people watching (I bet we've all watched someone at some point). Even I can pick those doing doing it well from those skiing like dorks (or like me Embarassed ) and may even comment on them - skiing just feels more 'visible' and that's why I'd quite like to do it well enough to look as though I know what I'm doing!
snow conditions
pam w, Megamum, I think there is one word that sums up skiing and why we sometimes look at others and say thats good, its something we all do from time to time and most of us think we are rubbish at it, but we can always tell when another person is doing it well

and the one word answer is ?
snow report
As someone who hasn't had a lesson in decades and hasn't a clue about these turn names ...... I was interested that he got his weight onto the outside foot so late in those first turns - he seems to carve the first half of the turn on the inside foot. Any elucidation would be interesting.
snow conditions
snowball, he was demonstrating a drill called white pass turns... They help with a lot of things..

it is demoed here at about 1 minute , also they show a few other drills here

http://youtube.com/v/M9l7f-_a8Bw
snow report
Megamum wrote:
All us 1-2 weeks a year holiday skiers don't stand a chance ever skiing like that - it's quite depressing really Sad He's a good skier and that guy doing the dolphin turn seemed to be just demonstrating a recipe for disaster, who in their right mind would want to do that sort manoeuvre on a voluntary basis?!

Not true!

Sadly most people give up if they can't do something immediately and put it in the too hard to achieve basket.
Yes it would take many years to learn to ski this well if you only skied for 1-2 weeks a year but you could be going to indoor slopes/dry slopes to practice these drills.

If you actively practice something you will get better. It will take time and commitment but you WILL improve. This is true of everything not just skiing.
ski holidays
livetoski, Envy!! Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy