Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Movement 'Sluff'

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone tried these -

http://movementskis.ch/products/skis/freeski/sluff/

Any good ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Toofy Grin lol just a little http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Ski-Tests-2011/2012/Movement-Sluff-Review

This seasons Sluffs are a little lighter than last seasons a very good all mountain ski, they can be mounted standard or touring or tele.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
livetoski, interesting Happy

I'm pondering something that's going to work well off piste in a wide range if snow conditions. I'll probably mount them with my touring bindings (Fritschi Diamir) for very occasional walking up hill. The purple white dots are my other thought as they looked very handy on the op bash.

Unfortunately price of course will pay a big part in my choice.

I'm currently riding Karma's but feel insecure about my size wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndAnotherThing.., Yep the Whitedot Directors are pretty good, I had them for the week before the OP bash, in fact they were the same skis I dropped them off in the three valleys so they could get to you Toofy Grin nice little detour I did for you admin Toofy Grin

The Whitedots as you know are a rocker all mountain ski, where as the Sluffs are traditional camber, and a traditional shape, but do have a pretty good tip rise to handle rough and varied snow off piste.

The Karma if I remember is 119/87/111mm so you will feel a bigger difference riding the Whitedots than the sluffs, because the Whitedots are a much straighter ski with their profile of 121x107x111, the tips and tails dip to 117 and 107 respectfully. I found them really good off piste in a variety of conditions. They are OK on piste, but you have to be prepared to get used to them, I am riding fat and super fat skis all the time and found it took me a little longer to adjust to the Directors on piste than I thought it would.

The Sluffs on the other hand feel more traditional and offer a broader range of all mountain skiing. They are not as good as the Directors in deep powder, but better on icy stuff. It s all down to what type of skiing your doing or want to do better.

If i go on too much it will look a little spamy, so give me a shout tomorrow, and we can discus properly.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i've a pair of sluffs, promoting them to my everyday ski this coming season, were mounted with fritschi freeride+ but will be switching then to ntn tele this year (the fandan love it Cool )

If you're looking for something that can handle all snow conditions well and well sutied to occasional tours then the sluffs are fab. Interested to see they're losing some weight this year, can only make them more attractive. Movement skis tend to be on the lively side as far as stiffnes is concerned, so if you dont like it somewhat stiff ( Toofy Grin ) or if you are particularly light then they may not be for you (they aint super stiff or nothing, but more than the average, depending on what you're used to).

I like the sound of the whitedots, but them feckin dots would give me the heebies Shocked

I'm a big Movement fan, having had quite a few different models ove the years, never made it to the super-turbo (yet rolling eyes ), but if I were looking at buying the sluffs, I would have to look at the supers too. Less versatile probably, but still very likely to meet your stated needs quite nicely!

livetoski, any chance of finding any of the old pow-pow models? would love to get my hands on a pair
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
barry, I did see the Super Turbo's but was also pointed towards the sluffs - I'll look again. I prefer it 'stiff' so that won't be a problem. I'd prefer a more 'off piste' focus for these, hence thinking the Purple White Dots.

I've have a pair of Rossi cheat GS ski's that work well as all rounders so sorted for an everyday ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and what if you looked at green with white dots? (preachers) They are wider but more traditionally cut?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry, I will look out for some for you.

AndAnotherThing.., To throw another one into the mix for you, the new Trust is super good off piste, they are stiff, with a good tip rocker but traditional tail, I am taking some pics today of the tip rocker as Movement have not really supplied a good image of them.

The super turbo is a beench mark when it comes to off piste rocker skis, the story on our review page about being chased on the demo skis two seasons back is very true, we were offered 1,000 euro for them in Les Arc by a couple of the off piste guides.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry rubbish pic but you get the idea, trust on the right sluff on the left
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, cheers. I saw the Trust and wondered. That 100-110 under foot width seems a good compromise. I also fancy the Rossi S7's but they seem to have sold out on the Instructor deals Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
as a comparision the Super Turbo is like this!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

livetoski, any chance of finding any of the old pow-pow models? would love to get my hands on a pair

I've got a pair of these in my loft:

http://www.freeride.co.uk/img/review/large/2074.jpg

Purchased in 2004 off the Movement Rep for a steal. I was the envy of the resort............. until they saw me ski.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the look of some of the Movement helmets, but im struggling to find any UK websites that stock their gear. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the slight slide off topic. Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Feast, give me a email or call, they are not cheap!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
livetoski, Are the Trusts a straight swap for the proper Goliaths, look like a much earlier rise. Have the first model of the goliath still as my current big ski, super stiff but super fun if you have the space to open em up! I don't have the ability to get near their limit, and am usually knackered after a day charging about on them, but a fun ski.

galpinos, much life left in em? They're the proper first models no? Was more thinking of the leopard skin (sorta) graphics which came a bit later, but the originals would be good too (think they looked similar to the first Thunders an' all)
snow conditions
barry, no not really, Movement dropped the goliath this season and brought in the Trust, but they are very different.

To be honest we thought it was just an update until we skied the Trusts, the Trust sort of does everything the Goliath did, in terms of big lines straight charging, stiff ski (not as stiff as the goliath) which grips on ice and bad snow like mad, but then there is a whole dimension opened up with the rocker tip and the fact that they are pretty flat for the rest of the length of the ski, with a striaght tail, so on hard pack and the like they ski like a strong piste ski.

The turn radius is much smaller than the goliaths, and as you say the goliaths really did need some push to get them up to top speed, the goliaths would now I guess be called a little old school, and the Trust is a modern design made to do everything the Goliath did and more, without as much effort. Hope that makes sense Puzzled

I myself am torn between skiing the Whitedot preachers for the coming season or the Trusts as an all mountain all conditions ski, Oh and the Trust won the Backcountry Editor Ski award for the best 2012 all mountain ski Very Happy
snow report
Where would you put the goliath sluff of a couple of years ago? are they more like the old goliaths or the new sluffs or sources? They sit in my ski cave waiting for me to man up a bit!!
snow report
loatie, it depends on which ones your talking about, the sluff was launched for season 08/09 as the Goliath Sluff, and then in 09/10 was just called the Sluff. I did not ride the original Goliath Sluffs, however if I remember correctly they won alot of awards as an off piste ski, plus they had a 1m extra turn radius against last seasons 184 Sluffs, which sort of says that they were a little stiffer than the current Sluff. Same profile tho.

They are much closer to the Sluffs of today, nothing like the Goliath, the Sources are differnet again.

loatie, get them out of the cave, no need to man up really they are not a difficult ski, if we were classing skis by man up factor then the Goliath would be a double man up, the Sluff about a half a man up and the Source no man up at all Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Man, I was pretty happy to read this (why fight it, I aint never been up with the kids, auld skool's fine with me)

Quote:
the goliaths would now I guess be called a little old school

but this just made my day

Quote:
if we were classing skis by man up factor then the Goliath would be a double man up

Oh Yes!
(and while we're about it, i also have a pair of the earlier, proper-stiff Thunders (not the very early ones but the first skull graphics which were the last of the stiffies I think) - they're just as stiff really as the Goliaths. Guess i'm proper 'core Cool Laughing)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy