Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

when to helmet

Poster: A snowHead
wrist guards are not a must. When I learnt a few years ago we had a quick meet with the instructor the first night and we asked him about them, he told us not to bother, next day he told us to ball our hands into fists whilst we were moving, this is suprisingly easy given how tightly puckered everything else is at the time, and this would stop the lever effect which happens you fall on your outstretched hands and thus break your wrist. I wear mitts so this is quite natural to me now.
A helmet is a must, if you fall as wonderfully described above whilst on your heel edge and strike the back of your head even at walking pace on groomed piste it can be anything from embarrassing to fatal, why take the chance?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlanB1976 wrote:
Quote:

so don't do it!

lol...... tell my natural instincts that NehNeh

I am not going to do lessons at first. It may sound weird but youtube and google are my teachers. Before I started skiing again (after the last time being when I was less than 10 years old and couldn't remember a thing about it) I watched a ton of videos on techniques and what/what not to do and within 1 hour I was going down the slopes just fine. Sure, I might have had some bad habits or the technique not so good, but it was fine for what I was doing. My wife was upset because she took private lessons and I just waddled onto the slope and had everything down in 1 go Laughing
If I battle or decide to improve my technique, then I might do some lessons, but I am already spending additional money on a helmet now. I've already watched 1 video on how to fall. Didn't show how to fall backwards from the snowboard though...... will have to search for that

Oh Christ. You spend all this time, effort and money on kit that isn't all that essential and really you can do without, and now you tell us that you're not going to spend the money on the most important bit... Bad idea mate, get lessons.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, in his last post he says he's changed his mind and he is going to get lessons
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, Ah, missed that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, shame really, I was just getting the popcorn......
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
all the time
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lol.....I still can't see how it is that difficult to get the basics Laughing . Before you flame me, I am going for lessons and I have heard everything that everyone has said. So I do know it is, I just can't see it. I've watched some people with no coordination getting it right and think....."come on, it can't be that bad"
rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Oh Christ.

you can just call me Alan. No need for formalities here NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlanB1976, I've seen dozens of people fail to get to grips with it because it's too hard/they have to go too fast/they can't steer the board/it hurts ......... etc. Usually they go back to skiing and bang on to all and sundry about how it's much better, they tried boarding and it was rubbish, you have to sit down all the time, silly trousers, blah, drone etc. You want to be one of them? Laughing

On the other hand, you might more or less get the hang of it, in whch case you'll end up going on about how easy it is, no-one needs lessons, you can do it perfectly etc etc .... meanwhile switching from one edge to the other and still scraping down every piste in a straight line, waving your trailing arm all over the place and swinging your shoulders around every time you want to turn.

Or you could learn to do it right. Not the most popular option, I agree, but why follow the herd?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Or you could learn to do it right.

I do agree with that 100%. I did say right in the beginning that I most likely would pick up bad habits when teaching myself. It wan't that I didn't want to get lessons. It was more that I was blowing all my money on other stuff and didn't want the expense.
Quote:

but why follow the herd?

the herd has convinced me already NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rogg, got the wrist guards on the weekend. Thanks again!!! Will try to fall properly but thanks for saving my little girly wrists for when I don't. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahh, the wisdom of herds... moo.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlanB1976, So one more thing.

Get yourself a copy of Go Snowboard by Neil McNab. The diagrams are for a goofy rider but as an engineer I'm sure you can figure it out if needed wink
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Snowboard-Neil-McNab/dp/1405315741?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hey..... you just told me that teaching myself through reading and video wasn't a good idea Wink NehNeh

Thanks. I just might for some interesting reading. Any preparation would be good to help progress quicker. Limited days on the slopes.
I was thinking of rather going for a shorter private lesson rather than a long group. Then, I can progress to my skill level (which might not be much) rather than to the weakest link in the group, just in case the preparation actually helps. What you think? Good idea / bad idea? It would essentially be a 1 hour private compared to a 3 hour group.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AlanB1976, What do I think. I think you need a couple of trips to Tamworth.
snow conditions
AlanB1976,IMHO at the beginner stage, go for the 3 hour group. 1 hour won't be enough and a private tutor will be telling you exactly the same things as a group instructor at that stage.
snow conditions
Will do.
What do they do if there is 1 person in the group that is not "getting" something? Do they progress the rest of the group or do they wait until that person is at the same level as the rest?
ski holidays
Quote:

AlanB1976, What do I think. I think you need a couple of trips to Tamworth.

I wish. Renting equipment and a couple of hours there is just too much Sad . Otherwise I would love to go.
snow conditions
In my experience, your first 3 hours will be learning to scoot the board around, using a drag lift, holding the board on toe edge and heel edge, learning to side slip on toe and heel, and if you're a quick learner how to initiate a basic turn. Your instructor will get you there, as this is all stuff which can happen at the same time on the bunny slope...

Although I believe the official way ESF deal with slow learners is one instructor dazzles them with an unnecessarily showy flatland trick while another sneaks up behind them and bludgeons them with a ski boot. This is why helmets are important - so be aware of their distinctive aroma of Gauloise and sedated chalet maids.
latest report
Laughing
snow report
AlanB1976, got a voucher if you want it for Tamworth........

2hrs beginner for £20 or 3hrs beginner for £27 (juniors £14 & £19 respectively), voucher valid for 4 pax but has to be taken in September. Good value, to say the least. PM me if you want it.

Also got a 3hr ski/snowboard "Coaching Session" voucher £25 (£17 jnr) same terms as above. Again PM if anyone wants it.
snow conditions
That sounds great. I must just check up on the equipment hire. I didn't have a lot of time but I could not see anything on their site. I will have a proper look tomorrow when I got time.
Hopefully I'll get my PM in then before anyone else Wink
ski holidays
AlanB1976, I think I'm right in saying all the eqpt is included, helmets too wink , think so ayway. Apologies if I'm not (but I don't think I am).
latest report
AlanB1976, God forbid, but what if you are the weakest link in the group? What do you think would happen?
latest report
From FAQs on the Tamworth website:

How much does it cost to hire equipment?
Skis, boots and boards are provided free of charge.
latest report
Then hell yea Very Happy. I'll pop you a PM in the morning.
holidayloverxx, probably will be Wink . And if I held up the group from not getting the exercise, I would feel terrible about it and would want them to push ahead. That's what worries me. That if someone holds things up, the 3 hour lesson comes down to 1 hour of actual lesson progress.
Although, taking the couching at Tamworth as well should result in something good Wink
ski holidays
Drat. The couching is only for non-beginners so would have to pay full price for the lessons which are a bit much. Thanks BCjohnny but I'll have to give your offer a skip. My first time boarding will have to be at Tignes. At least there will be a better scenery NehNeh
I'll most definitely give Tamworth a try once my immediate financial difficulty is resolved.
snow report
AlanB1976, no mate, have beginners vouchers too, as above post. 3hrs £27 BEGINNER LESSONS (4 pax).

The coaching vouchers are another lot (4 pax)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ahhhhhh....... Ok. I thought that was the slope time. Would I still have to buy slope time then or is that included in the lessons?
snow report
AlanB1976 wrote:
Ahhhhhh....... Ok. I thought that was the slope time. Would I still have to buy slope time then or is that included in the lessons?

AFAIK it's all in. 3 hrs, all equipment, beginners tuition, £27. From what I've seen you have maybe an half hour introduction off slope, and then out you go. Valid for four people so you can take three of your mates and share the pain. wink. By all means phone them to check.

I can PM you the voucher code and you can book over the phone/net. Easy peasy.

If any wants a 'tuition voucher' (ie a lesson) I've one of them too, as noted above.
ski holidays
Hi just thought id let you know that id wear a helmet from day one and treat it like any part of your kit. Ive been boarding for 20 years now and i never used to wear one, when i was on the slopes and one of my group would wipe out we would all say we its about time we got helmets, this used to go on for years, 2 catscans later i decided to get one and it was money well spent!!, like guys say on other posts you can personalise your own lid.
snow report
Thanks. I will definitely take it. I just confirmed with them and it does include everything. Only problem was that they only had a 2hr session available on the Sunday I wanted to take it Sad (so the wife could join me - I got no other friends that do the skiing thing. Still new to the UK).
2hrs is better than no hours Wink
Please PM me the code so I can book as soon as you are able. Thanks a lot!
ski holidays
mluti, I am definitely going to buy one and start with it day 1. I'm now trying to find a cheap (still decent) one. I heard Lidl and TKMaxx get them in but they didn't have when I last checked. The ski shops seem to have some on special but either white ones or expensive ones Sad
I want to get one before I go to Tamworth so I don't have to fight the sweat gremlins crawling out the rentals.
snow conditions
AlanB1976, code sent mate, enjoy.

Let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
Well, did the snowboarding lesson yesterday (with a loan helmet Sad ). A lot of fun. Between that and the major mountain biking I did on Sat, I'm aching all over. I've got to start using those weird muscles more.
The lessons were good in that they pointed a couple of mistakes I was doing that I would not have noticed by myself and made it a lot harder to learn. I am glad I did them. Besides that, with all the "how to snowboard" videos I've been watching, I pretty much knew what was next and I did start some exercises by myself as I started getting bored doing the same waiting for the class. The instructor did say I was doing them well. With that, I think that private lessons would have been better for me as the pace was very slow and we only had 2 hours. The lesson was basically just toe and heel sideslipping. But that was 2 hours that I would never have had if it wasn't for that voucher (thanks again BCjohnny), and gave me a real good taste of boarding. I started doing leafing (if that's what it's called) and also started turns.... then time ran out. All I wanted was more . It was like taking a starving person and just letting them have a bite out of a steak.
latest report
AlanB1976, Alan, you should have said hello, there were a whole bunch of us there yesterday between 1400-1700hrs.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. Boarding can be a fickle mistress, some days she loves you, others you'd better take cover. Sticking with it regardless is the key. Good luck.
snow report
AlanB1976, There yesterday? how did you miss the snowheads meetup?
Lidl/Aldi helmets appear as part of there weekly specials, basically come in the shop on a given day and are there till they are sold (anything from hours to months depending on which branch you go to). Sign up for their special offers emails as they will appear soon ready for the start of the season.
snow report
We had the morning session from 10h00 to 12h00. They said the 3 hour afternoon session was fully booked...... at least I know by who now NehNeh
I'm really looking forward to my trip in Nov now... One and a half months and counting
snow conditions
davkt, I got a habit of missing things. Ask my boss NehNeh
Pity, it would have been nice to put a face to some of the names. Where are these meetups announced?
snow conditions
In the snowEvents section of the forum, next one is this coming Saturday at Chill Factore
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy