Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight Distribution or Angulation - what's more important?

Poster: A snowHead
Martin Bell, bloody hell. I read the first link and felt that some vindictive ass had thrown me back into a physics class!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Martin Bell, thanks for those links. Just one point with respect to weight distribution for non-racing skiers. That was why I picked a couple of photos of youngsters - in fact the second one was only 9 at the time. They both were skinny, lightweight kids, with no strength training at all at that age, just their technique, ability and fitness to rely on.

Reckon you've hit all the nails squarely on the head as usual. Perhaps the majority of us should be prioritising core strength/reaction, balance, and fitness!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Martin Bell, Stunning pics. Apart from the angle/pressure/articulation questions here, in pic 2 it looks as if the skier has already put pressure into the tails of the skis to accelerate away from the gate. Am I right in thinking that differing pressure in each leg will allow both skis to follow a parallel track by bending in different arcs behind the boot but allowing the tips to appear to con/di-verge. Looking at the lead contact points on each ski also implies that the outer one has far more mass going into it?

Reading Epic threads always makes my head hurt and want to kill something rolling eyes but then I'm a boarder
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque,
Quote:

makes my head hurt and want to kill something but then I'm a boarder

It's not your fault and you can get treatment now, you'll be ok Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque,

Quote:

Reading Epic threads always makes my head hurt and want to kill something but then I'm a boarder

Couldn't agree more... is there really any need to complicate things quite so much? I'm all for KISS. Although it undoubtedly helps to have a degree of technical understanding, don't think it's needed on such an "atomic" level. Doesn't make it any more fun!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny, beanie1, It's great and extremely valuable to have informed debate leading to experimentation, consensus and application. Regrettably Epic contributors often don't get far enough outside their lower intestine to even get to the experimentation stage, let alone 'consensus'. Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Without trying to put words into anyone's mouths, I thought a previous posting from someone who's "been there, done that" said pretty much the same thing in a rather more diplomatic manner!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, That's me, ever the diplomat . . . I'll happily delete if anyone feels offended, but I'd not read through all the posts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is all excellent stuff, thank you Martin Bell for the fab pix. One problem I have, though is that I'm not sure we should be looking at Bode for an example. He seems to be able to do stuff on his skis (and ski in a very precarious position) that no-one else can manage. In these pix however he looked quite normal (for a WC racer! wink ) I personally really like both Benni Raich and Rainer Schoenfelder for pure fab technique. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

PG, Going back to your previous question: I think that before anyone messes about with weighting, angulation etc. they MUST be properly balanced and centred, and able to keep their centre of gravity over the mid-forefoot. Which comes back to - - - - - BALLS!!!! Laughing Laughing

The problem is that many reasonable holiday skiers have gross faults in this department, and expect to learn bumps, off piste, you name it, without correcting the basic fault first. NOT POSSIBLE! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...and some of that balancing/centering comes from having poorly fitted boots/bindings.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
Martin Bell, Stunning pics. Apart from the angle/pressure/articulation questions here, in pic 2 it looks as if the skier has already put pressure into the tails of the skis to accelerate away from the gate. Am I right in thinking that differing pressure in each leg will allow both skis to follow a parallel track by bending in different arcs behind the boot but allowing the tips to appear to con/di-verge.

Yes, there's more to it than the pure ratio of inside/outside foot weight distribution, the fore/aft distribution also plays a role. Hence the "pulling the inside foot back", which helps put pressure on the softer, easier to flex, part of the ski in front of the binding, and perhaps helps compensate for less overall pressure than on the outside ski.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
This is all excellent stuff, thank you Martin Bell for the fab pix. One problem I have, though is that I'm not sure we should be looking at Bode for an example. He seems to be able to do stuff on his skis (and ski in a very precarious position) that no-one else can manage. In these pix however he looked quite normal (for a WC racer! wink ) I personally really like both Benni Raich and Rainer Schoenfelder for pure fab technique. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Those shots of Bode were all in the middle of the turn - it's towards the end of the turn where he gets on the tails and does stuff that you wouldn't recommend anyone to copy!!
Yes Benni is very neat - I couldn't find any shots with his shins not parallel - and he always seems SO relaxed. Here's a nice sequence:
http://www.ronlemaster.com/images/latest-images/slides/raich-bc-2004-sl-2.jpg
Another guy who I think is the epitome of how SL technique has evolved is Manfred Pranger:
http://www.ronlemaster.com/prints/slides/pranger-pc-sl-1.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin Bell wrote:
Yes Benni is very neat - I couldn't find any shots with his shins not parallel - and he always seems SO relaxed. Here's a nice sequence:
http://www.ronlemaster.com/images/latest-images/slides/raich-bc-2004-sl-2.jpg

Interesting upper body position at left-hand pole-touch there. He's centered on the new line already. I'd like some of that visualisation technique, yes I would.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Bell, thanks for those sequence pix as well. Benni Raich is just so calm with his upper body - wouldn't we all like to ski like that? Manfred Pranger is (IMO) one of the very best exponents of the ultra modern slalom technique. In fact, when trying to get students to keep their tibias parallel and tip the inside ski a bit more we do "Pranger turns". Partly because he's so extreme in the start gate, everyone can remember him - the kids love it!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski wrote:
In fact, when trying to get students to keep their tibias parallel and tip the inside ski a bit more we do "Pranger turns".

the "phantom move" by another name????
wink
snow report
Arno, Nothing "phantom" about it. We did it (or tried) - just move the inside knee to the inside before doing anything else - KISS. Very Happy Very Happy BTW no need to have weight on it. wink wink
snow conditions
OK: I've got a question. I once smacked a toe (while boarding) into a short slalom pole . . . I thought my foot had exploded and needed a couple days off before I could even get my boot back on.
In all these pics above, these guys are traveling at considerable speed and the poles are getting whacked hard. The armour seems quite small and confined to just shin and forearm.

What's the trick?
latest report
Hitting it at an angle.

They are all glancing blows.
snow report
easiski, yes and it was extremely effective! and it was explained without slagging off other ski instructors, claiming a proprietary teaching technique or describing it in overly technical jargon Laughing
ski holidays
Arno, like I described a while back, leading with the inside knee.
(It was also something some of us discussed at Milton Keynes a few weeks ago)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Will you be demonstrating this technique at the PSB? I'm really looking forward to my ar*e giving the glacier a 'glancing blow' and it not hurt! wink
snow report
Masque, no. I won't be demonstrating any technique. Or if I do, it will be the wrong way to do things. Wink
ski holidays
Masque,

I'm no expert as I'm only just learning slalom but you hit the poles with your hand and shin guards. If you get it wrong (like when you're learning like me!) it can hurt a bit. But generally when you're learning you're not going so fast so won't hit it so hard. Also, skiers have hard boots so if it hits your foot your toes are protected!
latest report
Masque, beanie1, is right - ski boots are definitely better for hitting things with! Hit a slalom pole with anything except your protection and it bl**dy well hurts - but these guys are TOUGH! Shocked
ski holidays
By the way, Masque, very gracious of you to care about a hurt glacier.
snow report
comprex, given my dietary based contribution to global warming, I do have to consider its feelings. (and my split infinitives)
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Arno, like I described a while back, leading with the inside knee.
(It was also something some of us discussed at Milton Keynes a few weeks ago)

I presume that's similar to using the hips to initiate the transition, although to move (twist) the hips back into the hill does tend to move both knees at the same time. Although I suppose leading with the inside knee has the effect of pulling the outside knee with it.

Is that a drill, or a desired method of skiing?
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
I presume that's similar to using the hips to initiate the transition, although to move (twist) the hips back into the hill does tend to move both knees at the same time. Although I suppose leading with the inside knee has the effect of pulling the outside knee with it.

Is that a drill, or a desired method of skiing?

It's a technique to get skis on edge - I guess it is both a drill and a method of skiing.
There's no hip movement involved.
As you say, the point of it is to get the outside knee coming along too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, I'd agree with Wear The Fox Hat! Again! Shocked What you're really trying to do is get the skis moving in the right way. When an instructor asks you to think about your hips, bum, knees, shins etc etc s(he) is looking for something that clicks with the punter and gets him or her to put the skis in the right position. At various stages, I have thought about initiating with my backside, inside knee, outside leg. All these things are means to an end rather than an end in themselves. A bit like a "swing thought" in golf, I suppose.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Arno, got you, so it's horses for courses but with a common goal.

So whether angulation or weight distribution is more important depends on the individual skier and what they're trying to improve on at that time.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, I (and I think WTFH) was really just talking about angulation which seems to have been established as the most important thing. Weight distribution, so the consensus seems to be, follows from getting the angles right snowHead
snow report
Arno, totally. I think the idea of weight distribution comes from the days of straighter skis, when you moved your weight to the outside to make a turn, shifting your hips, whereas now we try to work on keeping your hips and upper body as quiet as possible, and let the skis do the work for us.
latest report
Take a look at this skier...

Her "weight" has not been put onto the outside ski. All she did was point to the side she wanted to turn. This was enough to get her inside leg, and then her outside, to bring her into a turn.
At higher speed, and with a wider stance, you'd probably notice more of an angle between her legs and her body. (and I wouldn't make her point to the turn, but then it wouldn't be as funny to watch...)
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Curiously enough I do a rather similar thing with a lot of my students! I call it the "signpost turn", and you point your inside arm along the inside ski (at around shoulder height) and then keep it there through the traverse (we're talking novice - middling), change the arm just as you begin the next turn. this looks a bit silly, but stops rotation in it's tracks. the student has to do it every turn for about 3 days for it to become a habit, and when relaxed the arm & hand should fall into a really nice positon. they all get the feeling that the arm is leading them into the turn. Little Angel
snow conditions
easiski, the move in the pic was taught to me as the "Saturday Night Fever turn"
snow conditions
This is exactly as I've thought about boarding. If we consider that for most of the time we're travelling down at whatever comfortable angle to the fall line we want and in a neutral body posture . . wherever we point, we'll go, as it puts weight (force) into the guiding edge. It's learning to be subtle in that weighting that makes us appear smooth or clumsy skiers/boarders
latest report
Good job my car has a bonnet - nobody can see if I've moved the engine far enough to the outside in each turn to get the perfect weight distribution Shocked

Has a sunroof as well, so up-unweighting is no problem....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy