Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot advice for plated ankel?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I broke my fibula earlier in the summer and got a plate and a few screws in it. Now I am looking to get my first ever pair of boots in the hope that skiing won't be uncomfortable or dangerous for the next few seasons!

I'm going to get a pair fitted at my local ski shop, Lockwoods. I am looking for any advice on brands or this year's models.

I have large, wide feet and I have heard anecdotally that Salomans tend to be good for wide feet, does anyone know if this is true?

I am an all round skier, I like a bit of off piste and a bit of a play in the snow park, but realistically I will spend the bulk of my time on piste.

I would be very grateful if you can offer any advice or recommendations.

Here's an xray of the metalwork for your entertainment...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GeorgeJ, Lockwoods have some very good, experienced bootfitters. Just let them measure you and try out appropriate boots.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You don't need to know this stuff - just tell the bootfitter everything you've just posted here, and they will tell you what you boots you need. Lockwoods are excellent with very good staff (my 'rents live round the corner from them) - you don't need to look into it yourself.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you discussed this with your consultant? He/she may be keen to remove the plate once 12 months are up, in which case, you may well need to go through the process of boot fitting again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The consultant reckons I should never have the plate removed as the process involves breaking away bits of bone that grow around the metalwork and leaves you immobilized and weak again. Apparently the operation is worse too, because everything around the plate will be covered in scar tissue making it harder for the surgeon to dodge nerves and ligaments and whatever else is down there!

The only exception would be if the plate gives me more serious problems than the operation would. I've been walking on it fine so hopefully this won't happen!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
First post - been lurking for a while but had to offer some wisdom on this subject. I have had 16 pins & a plate in my ankle since I was 15 (now 24) - believe me a good pair of well fitted boots will literally be worth their weight in gold!

When I first got back on skis after having my ankle bolted back together, I was using rentals - I couldn't manage even an hour's skiing as the pain was excruciating (where the boot put pressure on the pins & swelling). Thankfully my parents forked out for a brand new pair of boots (Nordica W10's, good for me as I too have wide feet), fitted properly with a hot mold liner. The ski shop spent ages getting the fit perfect - I can now ski all day on piste without any bother. Though in my experience if you head onto big moguls or serious steep where your boots are working extra hard, you will know that you have metalwork in your leg! But it's not enough to stop you, and nothing that a bit of apres can't cure Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I still have all the metalwork fitted for the same reasons as you said, hasn't given me any trouble. Do feel the cold a bit more in that leg though...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ditto metalwork.

I skied one season with the screws in place (subsequently removed) and the only variation I had to make was to cut away little "windows" in my liner directly over the screw heads. Each one (of three) was about the size of a 10p coin. That seemed a lot easier than trying to custom stretch the boots at those points.
I didn't feel any appreciable loss in boot fit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp, Spot on mate, we've done plenty of this stuff. In extreme cases and injection liner and then a few mods works a treat.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pretty much all been said, just do not be tempted to go for something which is bigger if it feels instantly more comfortable, the last thing you want is movement around the screws which could rub and cause more problems, wants to be really really snug and have room created just for the screws

Good luck getting sorted Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice!

Regarding cutting away holes for the screw heads, I think that sounds like a wise idea. My Mum keeps talking about these magical gel pads she has found for wearing in ski boots, and she reckons I should put one over my ankel. I keep trying to explain that if there is too much pressure in a certain area, putting another layer of stuff at that point in the boot is only going to cause more pressure on that area! I think I did better in A-level physics than she did.

Anyway, I'm going to take the advice of the guys at lockwoods!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy