Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family skiing in the US - Is it worth it v's europe and where and when?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Was mulling over whether the US would be a reasonable and realistic option for a family holiday this coming winter. Kids are 5 & 7, have been to france with esprit and had a fairly successful time. The childcare didn't really work as the kids didn't really enjoy the children's club in the afternoon, and the lessons were...ok. Not enough fun and too much focus on the skiing I think - and not enough mucking about in the snow. The ESF bend ze knees didn't really work for the little fellas.
Anyone had the family over the the US? Any recommendations worth exploring and how was the teaching for the kids? Also, are there any recommendations of companies that do the whole family thing well, or are US hols DIY re the kids? All advice and info gratefully received!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most US destination resorts are set up to attract families with the whole package that includes very good kids programmes and other stuff to do on & off snow. Teaching in English from instructors who are dedicated to kids' programmes also helps I believe. I'd go west for softer snow and pick somewhere that doesn't involve too much of a transfer. Practically, assuming you want direct flights from the UK this means Colorado or Tahoe with possibly Seattle if you are willing to go to places that are less "destination resorts". Calgary opens up a whole range of options in Canada too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob wrote:
Calgary opens up a whole range of options in Canada too.

or Vancouver
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at the California resorts, particularly Mammoth Mt. Fly into LA, do a couple of days at the theme parks (if that'd appeal to the kids), drive to mountains for a week of snow fun. Californian resorts traditionally get alot of blue-sky days as well as good snow. When my boys are ready to learn to ride, that'll be where i'd want them to learn.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take a look at Snowmass. Good kids programs, plenty of skiing for everyone in the family, and plenty of slope side accomodation. You also have the option of skiing the other Aspen mountains, and have the separate attraction of nearby Aspen village, a great ski town. It's a bit more of a transfer from Denver than some, but it also has the airport in Aspen if the transfers work. Aspen (Snowmass) would be the complete ski vacation for the whole family.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whistler kids in Whitsler Blackcomb is extremely well thought of. Fly to vancouver, 2.5hr transfer, far better accommodation. Lots of reasons why we go rather than to Europe. PM me if you want specifics.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My daughter has enjoyed the resorts around us in Colorado. Places like Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Beaver Creek and Vail all have one or more of the following:
specific trails geared for the kids with things like covered wagons & tepees that they can ski through, banked corners or signs with animals on them to spot
ice skating nearby (Breck, Copper, Vail and Beaver Creek for sure)
tubing hills (Frisco, Copper and possibly Keystone)
Ice Castles they can play in (Keystone, maybe others)

Silverthorne and Breckenridge have Recreation Centers open to the public with pools, water slides, spas, etc open to the public.

From what I have noticed with lessons/day care, the 5 and unders do more snow play than skiing while the lessons for the older kids are more ski oriented.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy