Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To airbag or not to airbag?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just in case live2ski is feeling generous about airbags wink

More seriously anyone know the latest skinny on the BD offerings. Are we going to see them in Europe this year?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I was slow on that one

I don't think so for BD:~/ but its a yes for BCA Float 18, 30 and 36
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oops may have been slow in thinking - I thought BD were developing one but it seems the other possible player is Mystery Ranch.

How does the Float compare to Snowpulse and ABS. Better US/Canadian network but worse Euro coverage for refills etc I guess?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love my Mystery Ranch pack it's super comfy. If they made a smaller version of their airbag pack then I'd snaffle it up.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never heard of Mystery Ranch, what's their rep?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, that is the question........

I think that it is a no brainer for seasonnaires / the blessed few with their own apartments.

The up sides- they seem to work quite well and be more useful than a transciever (in that being buried so that a search is required is really bad and often fatal news)

The downsides- expense, transportation (but not so much of a problem if skiing a whole season / you have a place to leave it), refills if required, weight, bulk.

Obviously the more you ski off piste the more sensible it becomes.

Now- anyone got a really long piece of cord I've got an idea.....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just got a 30L BCA Float in the US and will be bringing it to France in January. Traveling will be a bit of a hassle (must be disassembled, empty) and I got an adapter on Ebay so that it can be refilled at any Scuba shop. The BCA pack are definitely heavier than Snowpulse and ABS, but mine only cost me $420 in an end-of-season sale.

Mystery Ranch is what used to be known as Dana Designs. Their packs are heavy, but universally recognized as perhaps the best in the world. They have an airbag pack coming out this year in coordination with AviVest.

If price was no issue, I would be choosing between Snowpulse (for the trauma protection) and ABS (for the Vario system).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, Ok The BCA float range uses compressed air, like the Snowpulse bags have done to date(more on this later) the BCA bags as mentioned are a little heavier than others but this is the 30L Float which we are talking about the other two in the range the Float 18 and the Float 36 are comparable to other makes. The Float 18 is a super simple avi backpack maybe one of the best for lift served off piste sking.

BCA Float cylinders can be refilled from a scuba adaptor, or paint ball adaptor plus here in the UK we refill for you via the importers, very easy 5 working day turn around.

This season the Snowpulse bags have been improved again, better ski carry, lighter and also much easier cylinder conection system, they have changed their gas to nitrogen like ABS, so refilling of new ones will be via exchange or refill at the importer, here in the UK,
BCA have a range of retailers across Europe as well, it will still be easier to refill and exchange the Snowpulse and BCA bags than ABS system.

The other benefits with the new Snowpulse cylinder is that it is lighter and only a single connector is needed. Oh and its about half the price of the old one!!!!

brshain, I have been watching the Avi Vest with interest over tha last few years, it is a different system to wear more like a jacket than a pack. Their web site is woefully out of date with regard to flying with avi rescue backpacks, and I am not sure but I guess that their cylinder is in fact to large to fly with filled.

Snowpulse, BCA and ABS are all covered by the IATA regs, but I have a feeling the Avi Vest will not, might be wrong of course, however they presently do not have approval to sell in Europe, the same situation BCA was in until this year.

Re Vario system, Snowpulse have a new system called the RAS removable airbag system, which is a attachable airbag for a number of different style and sized packs. This will become I am sure a very popular option as it gains acceptance.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski, interesting as ever, do you know why Snowpulse have gone with nitrogen? Presumably they think it has a benefit otherwise they would have stuck with air?

Are the 2011/12 snowpulse bags on your site??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, Yes they are on the site, new prorider 15, Snowpulse Guide 30 and Snowpulse Tour 45

They have gone with nitrogen for the following reasons:
Lighter cylinder
Cheaper
Single attachment to new Venturi system
Minimises possibilty of frezzing (not that they had a problem really)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski, cheers, which of those have the new RAS removable airbag system???
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, They are not on my site yet, I will be updating soon, I still prefer the added protection of the Snowpulse bags the RAS system does not give you this, but is certainly very convenient if you want a number of different pack sizes, the first ones will be 22 and 36 litre only I think.

I am sure this will increase significantly over time when the tie up with Mummut comes into effect wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, whoops sorry RAS will be 22 and 30 litre packs this season, Snowpulse are pretty slow at updating their own web site, the new system or models are not on their site yet.

The US site http://www.skiingthebackcountry.com/ski-articles/avalanche-airbag-comparison gives a good little write up, no guessing which bag they favour
wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, can the new nitrogen cylinders from SnowPulse be retro fitted to their older bags? Lighter sounds good...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy