Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
allanm, We have an apt in Charmettoger you can rent for a very small fee. If you send me an email on janiceosborn24@gmail.com I'll let you have the details.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we may have one of ours down in bourg available www.cheztichot.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yesterday was the final day for most of those that have been here over the last few weeks so we went up for a final days ski even though the weather was quite poor again. It ended up being quite a fun day despite the conditions. Very Happy

Started off in the Malgovert and Mont Blanc forest areas where the fresh snow had been just enough to cover most of the small rocks and fallen trees coming through whilst changing the crud into enjoyable fresh spring snow. Smile

Then up the higher lifts into the mist and clouds to find very poor light in the Arc 2000 bowl. With light snow still falling we went over to the Peisey Vallandry Forest via a quick run through the snowpark and a few jumps and rails (the kids, not me) in a white out. Twisted Evil

Over in Peisey Vallandry, by not dropping below the Derby lift the forest areas were also good and kept everyone happy until lunch. After lunch the snow was still falling so a few more runs through the trees until we finally headed to the snowpark for one last time and then the waterslide. Crying or Very sad

'Only fools and English kids go on the waterslide in the afternoon white out!!' rolling eyes

When we got there it was deserted (not really a surprise) except for a few English kids, but the Altiport bar was open so the adults were happy. Much to my surprise the slide proved popular even in these conditions. It was the last day, so getting wet did not really matter I guess. After a number of turns nobody in the group had fallen in. Amazing as we had to shout when to go as you could not see the start point through the mist. Madeye-Smiley

Finally a nice hot chocolate and time to go down, pack up and for everyone to leave. Hope those on the train last night had a good trip home and managed to get some sleep. Sad

Today I am having a rest. Despite the fresh snow last night, the vis is still bad and it is wet outside. Tomorrow should be another powder day. Two weeks to go, fresh powder down to 1600m in the morning and staying good higher all day. For anyone coming out or just arrived. You are in for a good time. The pistes are in great condition everywhere now. La Grange is shut and so is Villaroger shortly, but all other areas are good and you can get over to La Plagne and right down to MontAlbert without any problem as well. Very Happy

Even the snowpark and the waterslide are in great condition still. The conditions are nothing like this time last year so if you have the time, it is well worth the effort to get over here quickly. Right now good fresh snow in the morning, turning slushy lower down in the afternoons. Smile

I shall try and catch up with posting all the photos today. Take a look later in the day in the March and April albums of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To give you a better idea of the conditions right now and to read a few comments about the different things to do, here is a copy of what I posted on my facebook page today.

WHAT IT LOOK'S LIKE OUTSIDE: (From ME!)
Right now it is still wet and damp outside with mist lower down and very poor vis. It is raining lightly lower down, but snowing higher on the mountain. Taking the day off today! Time to rest my shoulder again.

STATISTICS: (at 8.30am each day) (Pisteurs)
Altitude: 1620/1800m, 2040m, 2400m, 3000m,
Snow depth: 105cm, 195cm, 240cm, 260cm,
Temp: -2.5, -3.2, -4.8, -6.2,
Risque d’avalanche (1 à 5) : 3 risque limite (considerable)
Last snowfall : 10 cm Le 15 avril 2012

WEATHER & FORECASTS OF THE DAY: (Meteo)
A dull day. The mountains will often be shrouded in thick clouds. There will be light but sustainable precipitation all day. The snow/rain line is from 1000 to 1200 m moving up slightly to about 1400m later in the day. Light winds in general becoming stronger in the late afternoon.

AVALANCHE CONDITIONS TODAY: Avalanche Level 3 (considerable) The risk level is now at level 3. The fresh snow is unstable sitting on a wet base that has re-frozen and can slide quite easily. Take care. Remember to always carry Beeps, Shovel and Probes when skiing off piste, (local authority advice posted by the pisteurs, stay safe and be prepared).

TREND FOR THE NEXT DAY: (Meteo)
A slightly better day, but rather grey with intermittent light rainfall, heavy rain possible in the afternoon. Snow line at 1000 m in the morning rising to 1400 m during the day. Light winds.

THE LIFTS THAT ARE closed TODAY: (Pisteurs)
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : TK COMBE, TSF PARCHEY, TSD GRIZZYL
SECTEUR 1600 : TK MILLERETTE , TSD CACHETTE
SECTEUR 1800 : TSD VILLARDS, TS GRAND RENARD
SECTEUR 2000 : Some delayed.
SECTEUR VILLAROGER : TK RHONAZ

LIAISONS with other areas: (Pisteurs)
AIGUILLE ROUGE : DECALE
TRANSARC 1 : OUVERT TRANSARC 2 : OUVERT
LIAISON ARCS 1600/1800 VERS ARCS 2000 : OUVERT
LIAISON ARCS 2000/VILLAROGER : OUVERT
VANOISE EXPRESS : OUVERT
LIAISON MONTCHAVIN-LA PLAGNE : OUVERT

THE BEST PISTE TODAY: (Pisteurs)
SECTEUR 1600 : MONT BLANC
SECTEUR 1800 : VALLEE DE L’ARC
SECTEUR 2000 : CHARMETOGER
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : RENARD

TIPS OF THE DAY: (Pisteurs)
Another 10cm of fresh snow fell last night and there is powder on top of most groomed pistes giving conditions worthy of early season. Most slopes are open across the Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry area with flat light away from the tree runs. Downhill skiing on the forests pistes of Villaroger, Peisey-Vallandry and Arc 1600/1800 is highly recommended for better visibility.

RECREATIONAL AREAS:
ARC 1600: The WATERSLIDE animated star of the moment which is to cross a waterslide 20M long aquaplaning. The SNOWPARK is still fully open. Kids Comment: "Both these areas are still fun, even in poor light Toofy Grin !"

ARC 2000: Toboggan run the "RODEO PARK" (slide over 3000 m of track); Boardercross by the piste Plan Vert. Test your speed and braking distance on the track reserved for this purpose along the side of the piste Plan des Eaux under the chairlift Plagnettes. Kids Comment: "We found all three things rather wet and slushy and not so much fun in the afternoon as the morning when you can go faster!! rolling eyes "

SKI the Paradiski domain:
Enjoy the immense area of La Plagne by taking the largest cable in the world "the Vanoise Express." To do this make sure you have the brochure "PARADISKI instructions", self-service package and enjoy exploring this area. Kids Comment: "Friday going all the way to Montalbert was good! Going in the gullies on the way was the best part Very Happy "

Peisey-Vallandry: the BOARDER to CHARLOT. Kids Comment: "Ok, but not as good as the one in Arc 2000 now. This one is short and the jumps are smaller Toofy Grin "

SECURITEE TIP: SKIING IS GOOD, SKIING SAFELY IS BETTER (Pisteurs)
It is very important to master and control your speed at all times, to slow down when approaching departure of ski lifts and snow fronts. Remain able to stop a safe distance from others. Be cautious and follow pistes at your ski level. Always make sure your children wear a helmet and have respect for others. Check and adjust your bindings. Be aware of fluorescent banners planted on the slopes, they will cite passages, gradients, intersections and are there to make you slow down. Please be prudent at all times. Always the respect nature!!

Have a nice day!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is torture. In between jobs and on gardening leave and our in laws selfishly decide to go to Sri Lanka on holiday which means we can't do a sneaky trip to the Alps Mad Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, I suppose me saying last week was friggin brilliant doesn't help Laughing

As much snow as there was when we were there in Jan, we all had a fab time and loved the skiing. By tacking on a few nights each end in hotels it also was a very enjoyable week
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris, Pleased for you but no it doesn't, still fuming. Instead of skiing in the Alps I've got mucking out the chickens to look forward to tomorrow. Crying or Very sad Sad Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, I feel your pain. Best season ever, I planned on being away in the Alps five times, and had to abort the last three. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, Pedantica, Similarly, I won't check, but I don't think I have even broken even on the season passes this year Sad
BUT I shall make up for it by taking more in the Summer! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller, Boris, Pedantica, boredsurfin, I am very sorry to fuel all your pain, but well, now that I have started to catch up with all the pictures, while I wait for the update of todays weather and snow conditions from the pisteurs to post, here are a few pics from the last few days. Twisted Evil

(Getting through the Mouse Hole in the Lost valley in Val d'Isere, always popular with the kids and quite fun for everyone if you like an adventure)

(Untracked powder on one of the Glaciers in Val Thorens)

(Indian Gully in La Plagne. another popular kids route on the way to lunch)

(Powder on the KL piste nature)

(Deep and Steep on the side of the piste, you do not have to go far to find good snow right now)

(Up to his knees in the powder and loving it under the Grand Col chair!)

More to follow as I get the rest uloaded later. School hols are finished now so time to get down to more backcountry trips.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monday was one of those days when the snow was great high up and the vis was terrible. Went up on the 9am Funi despite the poor vis and spent the first hour in the trees of Mont Blanc and down to Arc 1800. The snow was soft and light to start with giving the chance to put fresh tracks down most places as there were not many people about. Very Happy

Met up with friends and headed over to the Arc 2000 bowl and up the Grand Col as the snow in the lower areas started to get heavy. Despite the poor vis the snow was great, light and fluffy powder and by keeping near the rocks or under the lift to give some definition we had a good time. Toofy Grin

Tried one little route into a white powder field and had to come back as it was impossible to see anything Sad , but other than that it was a fun day. Twisted Evil

I hope the weather forecast for today is correct and the mist and cloud clear. Off to Tignes for a change. Time to go so no update for Les Arcs today.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some 2011 waterslide fun courtesy of Les Arcs Facebook page..

http://youtube.com/v/AUcOEpms1A4#!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowcrazy, let us know what it's like, i'm off to Tignes for 3 days next week.

Sadly not made it to Les Arcs this year, will try and get over for a week around and spend Burns night at George's next season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmmmmm Forperet restaurant - my favourite lunch stop in the whole Alps! Does anyone know of any similar hidden gems in Tignes? Off there for a long weekend.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As I have just got back from Tignes I thought I would catch up on the photos of the last few days in Les Arcs. If you are interested in seeing what the conditions have been like in Les Arcs over the past week, take a look at the latest photos I have justed posted over on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Madeye-Smiley

See how the kids have made out in all this fresh snow we've been having. They are looking good! Plus the Les Arcs waterslide. 'Only fools and English kids do the waterslide in a near white out on a snowy, cold winter day!!' It just had to be done before they could go home!! Twisted Evil

Tomorrow I will be back in Les Arcs/La Plagne before they start closing all the links this weekend. I will try to do another conditions update tomorrow. Smile

Tignes was good yesterday with fresh powder, today was ok, but the light was very poor some of the time. Photos and more details will be posted of my two days in Tignes tomorrow. Very Happy

What a great day to learn powder skiing! April 12

Avalanche safety training. They need to start to learn this whilst they are young. April 12

Our final fresh tracks of the day. Nice lines! April 12
snow report
I have just been told it is snowing heavily right now in Arc 1800 with at least 5cm settling on the cars. I plan to go up and ride the amazing spring powder in an hour or so when the lifts open. Toofy Grin

I will post a report later tonight when I get down. If you can get out here for a few days it is well worth the effort although only the Arc 2000 side is likely to be open from this weekend. Very Happy
ski holidays
snowcrazy, My gardening leave is not being made enjoyable by your reports, could you just lie for a little as say conditions are crap and I would have been a fool to head to the Alps, please? wink

I can see from the La Plagne webcams that it is dumping as low as Montchavin and Montalbert. Of to bury my head in sand Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Yes have got some rather annoying texts from Montalbert this morning snowHead
latest report
thefatcontroller, Boredsurfing, sorry to increase your suffering, but here are the details i have just been sent by the pisteurs. Full update can be read on my les Arcs Winter facebook page! Enjoy Twisted Evil Toofy Grin

Madeye-Smiley WEATHER & FORECASTS OF THE DAY: (Meteo) Madeye-Smiley
Overcast with snow possible above 800/1000 meters. Likely to be mostly cloudy in the afternoon and the mountains will remain blocked from view. Showers are many accompanied by gusts of wind and thunder is possible. Max temps today could rise to 11 degrees at 1000m, -3 at 2000m and -6 at 3000m. Over the next 24hrs up to 40cm of snow is possible. snowHead Very Happy Toofy Grin Laughing Twisted Evil

If this keeps up I think we will have snow as deep as this again Skullie

Taken on April 11 above the Mont Blanc forest!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 19-04-12 7:55; edited 2 times in total
snow report
snowcrazy, Mad Mad

Boredsurfing, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

19th April, global warming my back bottom rolling eyes
ski holidays
snowcrazy, It looks amazing Shock

I'm now hopeing it will have thawed by the summer Laughing Laughing
snow report
genepi, Yes rob@rar's April fool joke re Summer skiing in Les Arcs might not be such a joke. Shocked Laughing
snow report
Today was a POWDER day. As all the lifts in Peisey Vallandry and Arc 1600 plus almost all the lifts in Arc 1800 are currently planned to be closing this weekend and the lifts in Villaroger have already closed it was time to head over to the La Plagne side whilst the Vanoise Express is still open as this will also be closing on Saturday. Very Happy

Please read this extra note if you are coming out this weekend!! Evil or Very Mad IMPORTANT NOTICE!! Evil or Very Mad
"It is very BAD planning by Les Arcs to be closing so much of the ski area when there is so much snow still around. Next week ONLY the Arc 2000 bowl plus two connecting lifts from Arc 1800 plus one beginner lift are currently planned to remain open right now. If you have pre-booked your full area pass and are coming out this weekend. Make sure you reclaim the difference on the pass as you only need an Arc 2000 area pass." Crying or Very sad

Now for my report of today. The light was very poor this morning and it was snowing most of the time, but this did not stop us from finding plenty of untracked powder all day. Toofy Grin

We went to the top of the Les Coches lifts and found white out conditions so headed into the forest and some off piste routes. The fresh snow was up to our knees and mostly untracked everywhere we went. By 2pm we had completed quite a few routes and needed some food. After a great lunch we met up with other friends and had a run down to the bottom of Baunches chair (with a 100m walk near the bottom) on spring snow and then finished with another route through the forest and back to the Vanoise Express. Smile

Considering the poor vis, the fresh snow made it into a good day and we had a lot of fun in the trees. Tomorrow we hope to enjoy even more fresh tracks as it is still snowing outside. Laughing

If you want to see what today was like, take a look at the pictures I will be posting shortly in the new April 2012 Album Two as they say it all. 'Winter is back, at least up the mountain!!' Smile

Despite the lack of lifts currently planned to be open, it is still worth coming out next week as the snow is great and you will have loads of fun!!! Very Happy

Here are a few pics from today!

First thing this morning, very white everywhere! April 19

January is back! April 19

Now it is getting deeper! April 19
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone who offered an apartment, now sorted. Just hope all this snow disappears by the end of next month! wink
snow conditions
What an amazing day! The powder is back and we spent the day putting down fresh tracks on every route from first lifts to last all day. Managed a short lunch to catch our breath, but other than that did not stop all day. Twisted Evil

Started with a run down through the trees to Arc 1800 and then through the forest above Peisey Vallandry while the vis was still bad in deep fresh powder to the Vanoise Express. Very Happy

Crossed over to the other side and did another route through the forest back down towards Les Coches before heading to the bottom of the Bauches Chair by a number of different routes. Then up and over to Champagny for lunch by another off piste route as the vis was slowly getting better. Smile

Up to the top of the Roche de Mio and down the hidden valley by a slight variation then over the back of the Roche de Mio through one of the couloirs and all the way back down to the Baunches Chair again. Finally back up to the ridge above Les Coches and down through the meadows and waterfall gully back to the VE and across to Arc 1800 for a well earned drink then home. Laughing

Take a look at the photos in the 'April 2012 Album Two' if you want to see the amazing snow we are having right now. It look's like we will be finishing the season the way we started with great snow everyday. What a shame the VE link closes tomorrow. We hope to get over and do two good routes before it does so an early start again tomorrow. Madeye-Smiley

For those thinking of coming out, the piste are in great condition right now in the mornings, but they do get a little soft and slushy later in the day. There is about a meter in depth on most lower pistes and much more higher up. The off piste is amazing even in bad vis. Even with more than half of Les Arcs closed next week, there will still be plenty to do!! Toofy Grin

Here are the two I like the best from today!

ski holidays
^^ So you got the doors open on the handbag then.... Very Happy .. and your twin brother wink

snow report
allanm, nice photo, very clever!

Today, April 21, was one of those days when you think it will not be very good, but turns out to be amazing! POWDER everywhere!!! Pictures of today will be posted shortly in the April 2012 Album Two. Take a look at how much fresh snow has fallen even if the vis was not so great at times. Very Happy

As many of the lifts close tonight for the season, if we were to make one final trip down the Bellecote, today had to be the day. During the last week I have either been visiting other ski resorts or the weather has kept us away. Although yesterday was good, the icing on the cake is to go down the North Face of the Bellecote on a powder day. Very Happy

We made it to the top of the Bellecote by just before 11am and due to the weather already starting to close in we headed straight over onto the North Face. We had fresh powder well above our knees at times until on the final ridge above the forest. Then the snow turned to spring conditions and although more difficult was still fun to ski. Finally we went through the forest and hit the path which was skiable again after the recent snowfalls. Twisted Evil

By 12.30 we were sitting drinking a beer and having a snack at the bottom waiting for the bus. The weather was closing in, but we had made one final trip down the Bellecote in powder on the day the connecting lift closes. I am Very Happy

In the afternoon we went up high again, but found the Gondola to the Roche de Mio and the Bellecote were now closed due to bad weather so we played around in the untracked powder fields of the Crozats Chair before heading down through the forest one last time towards Les Coches and finally the Vanoise Express. Once back in Les Arcs we stopped at the Altiport for a final drink as it shuts tonight and then down to Arc 1800 for a cup of tea and then home. Twisted Evil

The season is coming to an end, but today was good and it was snowing again whilst I was on my way home. Tomorrow should be another powder day! Toofy Grin

Peisey Vallandry closed at the end of skiing today. Arc 1600 will be closing tomorrow after skiing and only the Chantel (until Wednesday at the moment), the Transarcs and Grand Renard will remain open in Arc 1800 during next week. Crying or Very sad

In Arc 1950/2000 for next week the Varet, Grand Col, Aiguille Rouge, Marmotte and Arcabulle are confirmed to be open (weather permitting). I will report again tomorrow morning once I have final confirmation of what is remaining open. Sad

However, even with only limited lifts open in Les Arcs, the snow is excellent on and off piste and everywhere that will be open is in very good condition for this time of year. For those coming out you should have a good time as long as the weather is kind to you! Smile

Well above his knees at times!! April 21

Telemark skiing off piste and he is only 13 year old!! with powder up to his waist at times!
snow report
Today was yet another amazing powder day!! I do not use the word amazing very easily, but today was special. There was about 30cm of fresh snow down in the forests and more higher up on top of what had already fallen in the last few days. We spent the day in the powder hardly touching a piste and when we did go on a piste they were covered in powder as well. Toofy Grin

As today was the last day that Arc 1600, some of Arc 1800 and a few important lifts in Arc 1950/2000 will be open I spent most of my time in these areas. First with some French friends that left me gasping for breath trying to keep up with the speed they ski through the deep powder. Then at a slightly more relaxed pace with another friend before meeting up with some others for a few jumps (not me. them, I took the photos Twisted Evil ).

The powder in the Mont Blanc and Malgovert forests was excellent. Deep, light, fluffy and mostly untracked. Then heading higher as the sun broke through we managed a few routes over on the Arc 2000 side which also had great untracked powder at times. Madeye-Smiley

Finally heading back to the Comborciere valley where we found the snow was already going off by 3pm and then down through the Malgovert again where the snow had still mostly stayed in good condition. Taking the Arpette chair back up we then found a nice route down a couloir off the ridge before stopping for a well earned beer in Arc 1800 and then home. Smile

Overall today was great, perhaps not the best this season, but it was still up there as a good day in the office! If you are planning a last minute break you will not be disappointed. Loads of snow, pistes in excellent condition everywhere and plenty of fresh powder to keep us all happy. Very Happy

Take a look at the photos which will be posted shortly in the April 2012 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page and see how many of the routes you can name. Tomorrow they hope to open the higher lifts in the Arc 2000 bowl so it should be another untracked powder day if I can get up there early enough! What a last week of the season this is already turning out to be!!! Skullie

One of Les Arcs land marks! Les Deux Tetes!

Malgovert, a place where everyone can go and play safely!

But there are also places where you can take some big air, so keep to the marked areas and stay safe!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powder!! Toofy Grin By the time I arrived at Arc 1950 (it took 40min Sad from the valley with the Funi and Bus as expected) the sun was shinning and the clouds had cleared. Twisted Evil

After a warm up run down to Pre Esprit we headed up the Varet and onto the KL piste nature for a ride down in the powder. We were not disappointed. Although well tracked, it was a great place for the youngsters to tune there skills on skis and board and everyone improved from the two runs we did down this long piste.

We then went over to the Grand Col and put more lines down the centre and right side of the piste in more deep powder. Again although well tracked, we were able to find some nice untracked sections further away from the pistes and a few challenging little gullies. Toofy Grin

With tired legs we headed for lunch. After lunch it was back up the Varet and then the central area of the Arc 2000 bowl to find a few more untracked areas and a chance to take a couple of steeper routes. Very Happy

Photos of today will be posted shortly in the April 2012 Album Two. Enjoy!!

Now that is what you call dropping in on a power turn! April 23
snow report
Oi! You can go off people you know.

NehNeh
ski holidays
what will you do when the season closes?????
snow report
I'm now trying to work out how and when to go next season Cool
ski holidays
Boris, Snap. Just bought an 'ouse so it looks like next year is fooked, if we are really unlucky the following year is also out.
Bum
snow report
Avalanche clearing - Road closures tomorrow Wed 25th. 5am - 7am 1600 to 1950/2000 (looking at the map, just from the UCPA)

Dear weather IT IS THE END OF APRIL...
ski holidays
Arctic Roll, Yes, bonkers isn't it. Puzzled
ski holidays
Sorry for causing so much sadness to you all Twisted Evil BUT the snow is just getting better and better Toofy Grin Very Happy

Today I went over to the La Plagne side. Below is what we did. But we did have to drive as most of Les Arcs is closed whilst almost all of the La Plagne ski area is open. In Les Arcs today I was told there were only 6 lifts open. None in Peisey Vallandry (area closed), none in Arc 1600 (area closed), none in Villaroger (area closed), only two lift in Arc 1800 area and 4 in Arc 2000 area today. The Vanoise Express is also closed. I do not know what Les Arcs think they are doing, but there are many unhappy people here and I have heard quite a few saying they will never come back if this is what they can expect.

As the lift pass for the final week still costs 162.50 euros. People are saying this is very poor value for money and I agree. My advice if you are thinking of coming out for a last minute ski, go to La Plagne, Espace Killy or Val Thorens. You will get much better value for money. Or come to Les Arcs knowing you can only ski a very limited area officially at least. It is possible to ski back to Arc 1600 off piste from the top of the Transarc and you can also ski most of the higher forest areas of Peisey Vallandry as long as you can get back to the Transarc and even down to Pre Esprit though the top of the Villaroger area. But you will be going into closed areas which are not patrolled so you are doing so at your own risk.

Now for what we did today!! Enjoy! Tomorrow we will try Les Arcs again.

What a day!! After the hassle of getting over to the Arc 2000 bowl yesterday we went to the La Plagne ski area today. What a great move!! Arrived at Les Coches after only a 20min drive and we were up and skiing within 30 min.

After getting to the top of the Les Coches side of La Plagne, due to the weather and poor vis we decided to head off piste into the forest areas. Starting from high on the ridge we carefully made our way through the meadow and down the steeper face into the forest areas in very deep snow. Due to the higher avalanche risk with so much fresh snow about we went very carefully down the steeper slopes taking a very conservative line.

After nearly an hour of untracked deep powder we arrived at La Roche and then had a run down through the forest on that side in more fresh snow finally reaching the Omelette Restaurant almost exclusively off piste from leaving Les Coches to arriving in Montalbert. This is a route I have tried a number of times, but today was the first time I have managed to do all sections off piste almost the whole way.

After a good lunch we headed back to Les Coches by mostly off piste routes again with snow falling around us, the wind blowing quite strongly at times and great powder well up to our knees.

By the time we reached the car it was 5pm and we had only stopped once for a short lunch. Quite a day and although the vis was bad at times, the snow conditions made up for it.

Tomorrow promises to be more of the same as it is snowing higher up again tonight. If you are interested in seeing what it looked like today, check out the latest photos in the April 2012 Album Two. Enjoy!

Entering into the backcountry! April 24

The peace and quiet of the wilderness! April 24

Powder again!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 24-04-12 23:42; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
snowcrazy,
Quote:

the Omelette Restaurant

Le Forperet
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, you have posted this before, are you on commission?

Have you seen the photos of Montalbert I posted over on the other thread yet? With all the problems over in Les Arcs I guess I have to agree for once that sometimes La Plagne is better organized Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Just incredible. April 24th, and it looks like January 24th. I shall live the last days of the season vicariously through you, snowcrazy! Loving the photos.

Bet there'll be comparisons next year!
latest report
What a day!! Started off quite badly as all the higher lifts were closed and I was stuck in the Arc 2000 bowl whilst I waited for the top of the Transarc gondola to open for those coming over from Arc 1800. Evil or Very Mad

When the link did finally open, after one run down the middle of the bowl it was clear that the higher lifts would be delayed for some time so we headed to the 'closed' area above Arc 1800 for some fun in all the fresh powder. At level 4 avalanche warning you need to be careful so we took very safe routes and had a great morning, putting fresh lines down some slopes and even on a few pistes. The snow was from 20 to 40 cm deep depending on where you were and at times up to your waist if you dropped into a hole by mistake. Toofy Grin

After a bit of playing on the ridges the light went flat again and we headed into the trees. Really fun as always before going back over to the Arc 2000 bowl and up onto the Grand Col. Made more nice lines and found some very deep powder. I took a pic of one of the Spirit Instructors taking a big jump, very impressive!!!! Twisted Evil

Then another off piste route down to the Lanchettes chair before finally going off piste to the Chalet Pre St Esprit for a very late lunch.

After lunch the sun was out again, but they very quickly closed the Varet and Grand Col lifts due to avalanche risk. There had been a slide off the Aiguille Rouge onto the piste (nobody caught that I have heard about) whilst we were having lunch. Crying or Very sad

After a nice run down the centre of the Arc 2000 bowl ridge putting a few fresh tracks in the meadow at the bottom we headed back to Arc 1800 off piste the whole way from the top of the Arc 2000 ridge to the bottom of the Vagere chair (you do have to cross a few pistes which are now closed). Twisted Evil

After more fresh tracks and with tired legs we arrived in Arc 1800 and time for a Beer. Very Happy

The pistes and off piste in many places were the same. Powder on a hard base and sometimes very deep. All the open and many of the 'closed' areas are in great condition and despite the lack of lifts open in Les Arcs, anyone coming out for the last three days will have a great time. It is more like January than April! Three more days to go before the lifts close!!! Sad

If you want to see what we have been doing, take a look at the new photos in the April 2012 Album Two of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

Above Arc 1800 in deep powder! April 25

It's a POWDER day!! April 25

Spirit Instructor taking some air! Did he land it? April 25

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 25-04-12 22:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy